Photo

Most useful kitchen appliance?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Most useful kitchen appliance? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Single most useful cooking appliance?

1. Microwave (33 votes [41.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.25%

2. Convection/Toaster Oven (20 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Slow Cooker or Crockpot (6 votes [7.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. Propane or Camp Oven (11 votes [13.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.75%

5. Other?? (10 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

What one cooking appliance would you take in a Casita, and why? I am primarily thinking of setting up a full-time kitchen, as opposed to just weekend trips. The candidates so far:

Microwave Oven

Pros

Fastest cooking times, works well with leftovers and store bought foods.

Cons

Doesn't bake, works better at heating prepared foods than making meals from scratch.

Convection/Toaster Oven

Pros

Does most of what a microwave does, and also bakes bread, cooks meals from scratch.

Cons

Often limited in size, puts out a lot of heat into a small room.

Slow cooker or crock pot

Pros

Can be left to cook overnight (especially the newer ones that switch to "warm" after a preset time), can also be used as a rice cooker, or to bake cakes or cornbread (I haven't tried that, yet, but there are recipes for doing it).

Cons

You have to plan meals 6~8 hours ahead of time.

Propane or Camp Oven

Pros

Doesn't require electricity

Cons

Most models don't have a thermostat and require constant monitoring in use, limited in size.

--------------------------------------------

Anything else?

#2 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 240 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

I voted for other because I use my regular toaster and coffee pot more tham the micowave
or the other items you had listed.

Karan.

#3 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

I voted for microwave since I use it all the time both on the road and at home. When we go on long trips, we plan to take a small convection/toaster oven becaause I can't imagine going for a month or two without biscuits or cornbread. I know I can do both in a skillet or dutch oven but I'm lazy.

Reine

Edited by PRTexas, 22 December 2010 - 10:02 PM.

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#4 Marianne

Marianne
  • Rally Organizer
  • 320 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 PM

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Propane or Camp Oven

Cons

Most models don't have a thermostat and require constant monitoring in use, limited in size.

Except take a look at the Outdoor Chef: BBQ's and bakes and yes also has a thermostat.

Outdoor Chef - City Grill with Cradle

This spring, we purchased the Grill at Overstock.com for about $140.00. It's fantastic. I have baked: pies, cakes, muffins and a roast. Definitely worth the money.

Bill & Marianne
Silicon Valley, CA
2009 Casita "Little White House" Liberty Deluxe
TV: 2016 Ram 'Big White Truck" Outdoorsman EcoDiesel
Next Trip: 14th Annual FiberglassRV Rally @ San Lorenzo Park, King City, CA - May 4 - May 8 2017

#5 simpleman

simpleman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:55 AM

I have set up a fulltime kitchen in my 17LD.Would not want to do without my Cuisinart TOB-195.Inside demensions are 12 5/8 X 12 5/8 x 5 3/4.I have cooked whole chickens,roast,homemade pizzas and about everything else.I have used these ovens for more then 10 years at home, work and the trailer.I moved into my camper Nov20th and used the oven dailey.The stove top heats up the camper more then the oven.I have only ate out 3 times,in the last 3 years and do not like microwave foods,so this has worked out great.I use a Weber BabyQ for grilling out doors.
the Cuisinart would cost you about $155.
Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0041.jpg

• bluestarred likes this

#6 wilco

wilco
  • Casita Club Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

Toaster Oven.

#7 tpierce220

tpierce220
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

The spouse and I have been going back and forth some between a microwave and a convection oven. When we were in Wal-Mart the other day, we were looking at an Oster convection oven: http://www.walmart.c...000000029469730 . Anyone have any luck with this particular brand/model?

Beyond that, we would definitely take the coffee pot and, depending how long we would be gone, would have to find some way to bring the coffee roaster along.

Merry Christmas!

Tim

#8 Fred & Joy

Fred & Joy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:5849

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

What one cooking appliance would you take in a Casita, and why? I am primarily thinking of setting up a full-time kitchen, as opposed to just weekend trips. The candidates so far:

Microwave Oven

Pros

Fastest cooking times, works well with leftovers and store bought foods.

Cons

Doesn't bake, works better at heating prepared foods than making meals from scratch.

Convection/Toaster Oven

Pros

Does most of what a microwave does, and also bakes bread, cooks meals from scratch.

Cons

Often limited in size, puts out a lot of heat into a small room.

Slow cooker or crock pot

Pros

Can be left to cook overnight (especially the newer ones that switch to "warm" after a preset time), can also be used as a rice cooker, or to bake cakes or cornbread (I haven't tried that, yet, but there are recipes for doing it).

Cons

You have to plan meals 6~8 hours ahead of time.

Propane or Camp Oven

Pros

Doesn't require electricity

Cons

--------------------------------------------

Anything else?

I use a pressure cooker--it is quick and even if you arrive late at a campsite (or Walmart) you can whip up dinner in less than a half hour!!

#9 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

The post useful kitchen appliance depends on what you're trying to accomplish. First thing in the morning it's the COFFEE POT :D

I have used microwave ovens since the mid-1970s and wouldn't be without one. I've discovered that typically folks who don't like them really don't know how to use one for anything other than boiling water, popping popcorn or reheating food. You can absolutely do anything in a microwave other than fry or broil foods. It usually requires one with multi-power settings and browning dishes. A temperature prob is helpful too. A really good microwave cookbook can be invaluable to new-to-microwave cooks. I'll be sharing my microwave peanut brittle this afternoon. My family loves it! YMMV

#10 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

The post useful kitchen appliance depends on what you're trying to accomplish. First thing in the morning it's the COFFEE POT :D

I have used microwave ovens since the mid-1970s and wouldn't be without one. I've discovered that typically folks who don't like them really don't know how to use one for anything other than boiling water, popping popcorn or reheating food. You can absolutely do anything in a microwave other than fry or broil foods. It usually requires one with multi-power settings and browning dishes. A temperature prob is helpful too. A really good microwave cookbook can be invaluable to new-to-microwave cooks. I'll be sharing my microwave peanut brittle this afternoon. My family loves it! YMMV

I'm afraid I fall into the "never really learned to use a microwave category". Can you recommend any good microwave cookbooks? What types of browning dishes or other tools are the most useful overall?

Having a microwave-only (plus the stove, or course) kitchen would certainly simplify equipping a Casita, but I didn't realize that you could successfully use a microwave for cakes, cornbread and the like.

Thanks for the very useful information.

#11 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

I'm afraid I fall into the "never really learned to use a microwave category". Can you recommend any good microwave cookbooks? What types of browning dishes or other tools are the most useful overall?

Having a microwave-only (plus the stove, or course) kitchen would certainly simplify equipping a Casita, but I didn't realize that you could successfully use a microwave for cakes, cornbread and the like.

Thanks for the very useful information.

There's tons of cookbooks for microwaves. I usually buy "new" ones at Goodwill or second hand stores. It seems like every microwave I've purchased came with a cookbook. That' a good place to start. Here's how to use a browning dish: How to Use a Browning Dish for Microwave Cooking Check eBay for browning dishes. OR, use sauces... no one will know the meat isn't "brown." :-)

#12 Len Satic

Len Satic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

My choice isn't listed...A micro/convect oven. We have a Sharp that fits perfectly in the micro cabinet. We even make homemade pizza with the convection oven (I do cheat, though, and use Trader Joe's prepared pizza dough.)

LS

Edited by Len Satic, 27 December 2010 - 03:12 PM.

2008 SD 17
2006 Chev Tahoe LT 4x4
CasitaLog Blog

#13 whencanoesfly

whencanoesfly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

I would recommend one not on your list - a Dutch Oven to be used with charcoal outside. While we're soon-to-be Casita owners (pickup scheduled for late May) we've camped with popups, big travel trailers, and motorcycle campers for 30+ years, routinely being gone for 2 1/2 weeks at a time and a total of 30-50 days a year. I have had a microwave in the last 3 campers we've had, and I think I've used it two or three times. I have thought about getting a convection oven, but I can do anything in the DO that I can do it in the convection oven and even more. Of course, much depends on the type of cooking you prefer. I do lots of "real" cooking - baking bread and desserts, main dishes, casseroles, etc. I hardly ever cook in my camper, much preferring to cook outside with a campstove and my DO. I can't imagine camping without one. I also camp without electricity at least half the time, so electrical items are not high on my list.

Years ago I used a microwave frequently. I had one of the "browning pans" and it works ok. However our family kept growing and it just began to take too much time to use the microwave so I stopped using it. Now that it's just the two of us I supposed I could start again, but I just don't see that it gives me much.

Pam

#14 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

Pam, I can relate to your desire to cook with Dutch Ovens. I've done it for the past 6 years and love the results. However, I tire quickly of running outside in inclement weather to "spin" the lid 1/4 turn every 15 minutes. :lol: When I'm off-grid, there's nothing like a D.O. to cook with, but when I'm in a campground with electricity, I'd much prefer cooking inside. I think I'm going to rip out my micro-wave and install a convection oven. (I'll be sure keep my three Dutch Ovens in the back of the truck with a bag of charcoal, though!) :lol2:

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#15 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 10:31 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:59 AM

My oft-used kitchen appliances: can opener, cork screw, small espresso maker, one burner on Casita stove. That's about it for one.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!