Photo

Best time to visit Oregon and Washington State?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rand

Rand

Catahoulaflutes

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 03:19 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Flutes, Primitive Archery and events, woodworking and lots of camping in the Casita

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi,

When is the best time as far as weather and such to visit Oregon and Washington state...May/June or August/September?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Rand
Rand & Barbara & Sally the Catahoula
17' LD "Clarissa II"
'11 Red Silverado Z71 4x4

May the wind be with you in your travels.

#2 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Having lived there for 10 years (Yelm, WA just South of Olympia, WA), I'd vote for August/September personally.

May can still be wet and chilly West of the Cascades, while August will likely be very dry and sunny. I spent
half of June and all of July in Olympia this past Summer, and it was 46 degrees watching the fireworks on July 4th.

West of the Cascades, of course, you won't have the rain to contend with so much earlier in the year.

Other opinions may vary.

Bob

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,821 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

Having lived there for 10 years (Yelm, WA just South of Olympia, WA), I'd vote for August/September personally.

May can still be wet and chilly West of the Cascades, while August will likely be very dry and sunny. I spent
half of June and all of July in Olympia this past Summer, and it was 46 degrees watching the fireworks on July 4th.

West of the Cascades, of course, you won't have the rain to contend with so much earlier in the year.

Other opinions may vary.

Bob

So that's where the 'inyelm' part comes from. I often wonder about the origins of some of the Casita owners 'handles' .

With fourteen years in Seattle I can attest to the popular T-shirts for sale to tourists, such as "Seattle Summer July 24-26", or "Seattleites don't tan, they rust" and "Seattle Rain Festival, January 12th - December 29th". Ya takes yer chances. In between rain it's beautiful both OR and WA. Anywhere east of the coastal mountains things dry out considerably, and can get very hot in summer. Oregon coastal 101 will be very busy mid-summer. I'd vote for Fall as well.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#4 Bonny and Don Lyons

Bonny and Don Lyons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'99 Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Horses, reading, traveling and just having a good time.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Don and I leave TX shortly after July 4th and head for Lake Tapps, WA which is between Seattle and Tacoma. We have a son that lives there and he says we always bring the heat with us. They only have a couple of days of what THEY call hot weather and the rest of the time it's beautiful. In fact this summer they didn't have much rain. We leave about last of August and we think that's the best time of year.

#5 CoupevilleFish

CoupevilleFish
  • Casita Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Local time: 02:19 AM
  • Interests:Canoe/kayaking<br />Bicycling<br />Photgraohy<br />Woodworking<br />Segway

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

You will probably get the better weather in August/September. July is usually good too and you will not have the heat that you have in other perts of the country. I am speaking primarily on the western parts of both states. I have lived in the Seattle area since '59 and have spent a lot of time in the Willamette valley. July and August on the east side of both states can be over 100 during the day.

I would plan the trip around what you want to experience. Many art and craft festivals are held throughout the summer. If you are a hiker, some areas may be still closed in early May. If there is some event that you want to attend in May/June, I would not avoid it because of the weather.

BTW" The hydroplane races are held the first weekend in August and it almost NEVER rains that weekend.

Dave

#6 John and Nancy Hamilton

John and Nancy Hamilton
  • Casita Club Member
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Semptember! School has started so the campgrounds are not as crowded, the mosquitos have abated, the on-shore winds along the coast have subsided so there is less fog and cool weather, the Vine Maple is starting to turn red. It is recommended to drive the Oregon Coast North to South to make the turns into the numerous parks and view points right turns.

John
John and Nancy Hamilton
Junction City, Oregon

#7 Muttley

Muttley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 896 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17SD

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

Our kids live up there. I vote for Aug-Sept.

I couldn't live that far north.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#8 JaxDan

JaxDan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Golf

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:01 AM

I have to agree with the August and September timing. I lived in the Everett area for 29 years and 3 years in Bellevue from '68 through 2000. In the Seattle area the third weekend in July is usually the start of warmer and dryer weather - the Bellevue art festival is that weekend and is well worth seeing. It is a juried festival so what is on display is really the best of the best.

Since the Olympic mountains provide a weather barrier, Seattle does not always get the brunt of the Pacific storms. If you are coming up the coast to see places like Hoh River you will need to pay attention to the weather even in the August and September time frame. In good weather the Hoh River rainforest is beautiful, it gets an average near 200 inches of rain every year. Here in Florida I see a lot of Spanish Moss, you will see it grow there as well.

If you can camp near Everett and call ahead you could tour the Boeing wide body facility at Payne Field near Mukilteo. The scale of that building boggles the mind - it is 98 acres under a roof!

A great place to camp? Deception Pass State Park with its scenic beach to walk. Also, Chukanaut Drive into Bellingham should be on some to-do list. Built in the 30's by the CCC the views of the San Juan islands are best from the turnouts along the way.

Have a great trip next August - or start latr in July... Dan

#9 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

"Best" is subjective. Not everyone enjoys the heat, some actually like rain....

But, as a northern Oregon resident I can tell you the driest part of our summer starts the day after the 4th of July :lol: August is typically the driest and warmest month. September is a bit cooler and the leaves start turning late in the month. October is often our "Indian Summer" warm days and cool nights... but can be a bit wetter.

There's a reason the Pacific Northwest is green :rofl2: Just be glad you're in a trailer and not a tent....

#10 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:49 AM

Don and I leave TX shortly after July 4th and head for Lake Tapps, WA which is between Seattle and Tacoma. We have a son that lives there and he says we always bring the heat with us. They only have a couple of days of what THEY call hot weather and the rest of the time it's beautiful. In fact this summer they didn't have much rain. We leave about last of August and we think that's the best time of year.

Small World-

In the 80's I LIVED on Tapps Island (didn't include that in the 10 years I mentioned elsewhere).

BTW, someone mentioned that "some people LIKE rain" on this post. That may be true, but I saw 101 days in a ROW one year
it rained when we lived in Washington, so not everyone outside of the area understands what "rain" means in the PNW. (My wife still has her "Seattle Rain Festival Jan 1-Dec 31" sweat shirt, BTW.)

Unlike many places, where it rains, then the Sun comes out, in the PNW Winters, it can be weeks or more between seeing the
Sun. In fact, they have a name for it there: "Sun-Breaks," which describe small holes in the clouds through which you MAY
see a brief (30 second?) glimpse of blue sky during a day.

For weeks at a time, it may mist/drizzle, only adding 1/4" per day to the rain gauge, but it was wet, nevertheless. Add 35 deg
and darkness (many days it's so dark all day that a motion sensor light will come on when you walk by), it can feel MUCH colder
than -20 in Alaska (where I also lived 10 years). Wet cold, and dry cold are two very different things, so bring warm clothes if
you go in winter, and for nights if you go in summer. Evenings can chill to 55 degrees from a 90 degree day due to clear skies.

I lived on Tapps Island almost 2 months before walking out one day and doing a double-take because Mt Rainier was HUGE in
the vista. I didn't even know that it was visible from my house because it had not been 100% cloudy for over 60 days!

Bottom line, even if you LIKE rain, consider what living in a Casita in constant cold drizzle before considering a wet-weather
visit to the PNW.

You have been "warned"

On the other hand, nowhere is more beautiful, either.

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 04 December 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#11 gayle51

gayle51
  • Casita Club Member
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Nature, birding, hiking, quilting

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi We traveled down the coast of Washtington and Oregon in 2008 after being in Alaska. We were there mid to late august. the weather was very nice. You must have reservations at state parks in August as families use their parks well and they are beautiful. Besides the crowds we really loved it. I am sure September would be less crowded, but perhaps colder? Reommend the state parks on Widbey island in Washington and all of the coastal parks in oregon. have fun!
[font=Fixedsys]
Gayle & Joe
Tucson AZ
2008 FD
TV 2007 Honda Pilot

#12 Rand

Rand

Catahoulaflutes

• Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Flutes, Primitive Archery and events, woodworking and lots of camping in the Casita

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hi Awesome people!,

OK...sounds like we wander West in August...hope to hit the Cigar Box Nation concert in Huntville, Alabama on the way. While it would be nice not to have 101 temps we are kinda used to that...hot we can do...I remember as a kid in Jacksonville,(Neptune Beach) Florida when the Canadians came down in December and went swimming in the Ocean while we were standing around on the beach freezing in coats and such watching in amazement...cold we can't do!!! (gonna be 20 tomorrow morning and I am gonna hide in the house with the heat on 68 wearing sweats, a coat and hat!!

Thank you all so much for the advice!

Rand
Rand & Barbara & Sally the Catahoula
17' LD "Clarissa II"
'11 Red Silverado Z71 4x4

May the wind be with you in your travels.

#13 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

If you're coming all the way across the country, it would really be too bad if you missed the Oregon Gathering by a couple of weeks. It's the largest gathering of eggs west of Texas! Find the topic here on CasitaForum: 2011 Oregon Gathering - July 14-17 in Bandon, OR

#14 Swisstrip02

Swisstrip02
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

Those of us that live in Western Washington can predict the weather with virtually 100% accuracy. Since Mt. Rainier is visible in most of Western Washington, we use this simple principle:

If you can see Mt Rainier, it is going to rain.

If you cannot see Mt. Rainier, it is already raining!

It is accurate any time of the year.

Enjoy!

Mike (in Tacoma, WA)