• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

About the roads.....Anyone know what the road is like from Baker, CA. to Kelso, Ca. to Amboy, CA. to Twentynine Palms, CA.? That is the shortest route from Death Valley to Joshua Tree, but they are back country roads that Mapquest keeps routing me around. Guess my main concern is, are they paved?
Regards,
Steve

#32 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts
  • Local time: 05:27 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

About the roads.....Anyone know what the road is like from Baker, CA. to Kelso, Ca. to Amboy, CA. to Twentynine Palms, CA.? That is the shortest route from Death Valley to Joshua Tree, but they are back country roads that Mapquest keeps routing me around. Guess my main concern is, are they paved?

I've been on that old section of Route 66 and along Amboy Road several times, usually on moto rides but not with TV and trailer in tow. Even so, its all 2-lane pavement with some history thrown in too. I'll attend Joshua and Quartzsite too and maybe DV for a few days before if no conflicts before departure. BTW, Garmin Mapquest routes from DV to Joshua Tree NP via Amboy like Mapquest.

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#33 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:03 AM

Steve --

I had those same concerns about those roads when I was proposing the caravan from Death Valley to Joshua Tree, so I Google Street Viewed them. As Jeff said, they're two lane but appear to be in decent shape. I would just make sure that my gas tank was filled along the way. Services appear to be far and few between. Alternately, you can always exit Death Valley from the west side and head south. It will add about another hour to your trip, but appears to offer more in terms of scenery and places to stop. I know there will be another couple taking that southern route from DV to JT.

Here's what I came up with:

WESTERN ROUTE
Furnace Creek CA to Olancha CA
1 hour 54 minutes 101 miles

Olancha CA to Victorville CA
2 hours 9 minutes 136 miles
Hwy 190 W to Hwy 395 S

Victorville CA
to Joshua Tree CA

1 hour 25 minutes 72 miles
Hwy 18 E to 247 E to 62 E

5 HOURS 28 MINUTES ~ 309 miles

SOUTHERN ROUTE
Furnace Creek CA to Baker CA
2 hours 5 minutes 114 miles
Hwy 127 S to Kelbaker Rd S

Baker CA to Kelso CA
1 hour 2 minutes 34 miles
Kelbaker Rd S

Kelso CA to Amboy CA
51 minutes 39.7 miles
Kelbaker Rd S to Nat'l Trails Hwy/Route 66 W

Amboy CA to Joshua Tree CA
1 hour 23 minutes 64.5 miles
Nat'l Trails Hwy/Route 66 S to Hwy 62 W

4 HOURS 22 MINUTES ~ 253 miles

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#34 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Jeff, and Eilene. That's what I wanted to know, and I think I'll take that Southern route. Years ago we drove thru Death Valley from the East to the West, so I want to see stuff that I've not seen. I'm not worried about my truck, but don't want to do any damage to the Casita, so as long as the roads are paved, it should be OK.
Regards,
Steve

#35 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts
  • Local time: 06:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 SD 16 ft
  • Trailer Name:Eggcarto
  • Casita Club Directory #:2250

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

If you take the route that goes through Kelso, hopefully you can stop and see the Kelso Depot, which is now the Mojave National Preserve's Visitor Center. Lots of interesting info about the area. So add that to your time and hopefully the VC is open.
Emily
Casita Down the Road
05 Tundra 4x2, 2000 Spirit DL
Spring can't come soon enough for some short outings.
Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury
Emily's Adventures in Retirement

#36 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:34 AM

Thanks Emily,

I'll be sure and check that out.
Regards,
Steve

#37 DonColorado

DonColorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 390 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 Freedom
  • Interests:Don; People/fine arts/landscape photography,, bicycling, x-c skiing, kayaking, sailing, hiking, golf, a news-hound, national politics, wanderlust, discovering America, a good beer and interesting folks. Yes, "I've got too many irons in the fire"

Mary; cooking, history, reading non-fiction, classic black & white movies and pampering two little boy poodles named Bert & Ernie.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1925

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:50 AM

[/quote]

On December 22nd, I pulled Hotel Casita III off of I40 west at Exit 115, following old Route 66 to Amboy, then south to 29 Palms............other than some very large pools of water from the recent flood, the roads were excellent..........wonderful solitude away from the I40 zoo!

Just put 2840 R/T miles on Hotel Casita III LA from my northern Colorado home to go see my cute little Grand "kiddo's" for Christmas. Posted Image

DonColorado
Old US 66 en route to Amboy........ Joshua Tree NP...........Road Kill Cafe on Route 66, Seligman, AZ

[attachment=18639:D30_1209 - Version 2.jpg]
D30_1235 - Version 2.jpg

D30_1314 - Version 2.jpg

D30_1355 - Version 2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• D30_1209 - Version 2.jpg

DonColorado - "Hotel Casita III"

"The world is a book and...... the person who stays home reads but one page." William Shakespeare

#38 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:21 PM

Old US 66 en route to Amboy........ Joshua Tree NP...........Road Kill Cafe on Route 66, Seligman, AZ

Nice pictures! So Don, what was the "roadkill special of the day" and did you have some??? :blink:

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#39 CalCop

CalCop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bacon 'N' Egg

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

I'm looking forward to meeting tons of new people there at Jumbo Rocks. I'd like to get some idea of where most people intend to set up. Maybe some idea of the groups of sites there at the campground. Can anyone help?

#40 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

I'm looking forward to meeting tons of new people there at Jumbo Rocks. I'd like to get some idea of where most people intend to set up. Maybe some idea of the groups of sites there at the campground. Can anyone help?

Since it's a no reservation campground, we'll have to take whatever we can get. And everyone seems to be planning to arrive at different times. What day will you be getting there?

I'm thinking I'll show up on Sunday morning.

The worst that can happen is that you take a spin around the campground until you find one of us and then try to locate a campsite in the vicinity.

Not certain how their payment system works. Anyone know?

You might get assigned at the Ranger Station, but they'll usually let you drive around before you commit to a certain spot. They'll let you find a spot then come back to pay. Or it just might be that you find a spot and pay at the kiosk.

Eileen

#41 CalCop

CalCop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:FD 17'
  • Trailer Name:Bacon 'N' Egg

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

Since it's a no reservation campground, we'll have to take whatever we can get. And everyone seems to be planning to arrive at different times. What day will you be getting there?

I'm thinking I'll show up on Sunday morning.

The worst that can happen is that you take a spin around the campground until you find one of us and then try to locate a campsite in the vicinity.

Not certain how their payment system works. Anyone know?

You might get assigned at the Ranger Station, but they'll usually let you drive around before you commit to a certain spot. They'll let you find a spot then come back to pay. Or it just might be that you find a spot and pay at the kiosk.

Eileen

Hi Eileen,
I plan on arriving on the 5th and have searched out the sites. Thinking the 86 area would be the best. I found the payment system is by kiosk at $10 a night for us yougins. Looking forward to my first rally!
Bruce

#42 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Only about three weeks now! :dncinban:
Regards,
Steve

#43 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:09 AM

Attached is a map of the Joshua Tree campground furnished to me by CalCop (Bruce). I have added two red squares to the PDF to indicate the area of campsites where you're most like to find us.

In an email to me, here is some helpful information that he put together:

>> "I thought the sites between 42-64 and 82-89 would be the best in the area. It offers centralized bathrooms and trash. The campsites in the 80's group are like curbside parking. Almost like a pull through spot.

>> I had no cell service much of anywhere in the park. I stayed 3 nights at Cottonwood and had to drive to the south entrance to get reception.

>> At the entrance to the campgrounds is a kiosk that collects the nightly fee of $10.
>> There's an park entrance fee of $15 regardless if you stay the night. This fee would be in addition to any campsite fee. However if you enter the park from the south entrance you maybe able to avoid that fee since there's no control gate manned by a ranger. If you leave the park by any other exit, i.e. the east and west exits/entrances, they will collect that entry fee."

If you have the National Parks Senior pass, I believe you can enter the park for free, and campsite rates are $5 per night.

Thanks, too, to CaGal for reminding me about Google Earth. Here's a screenshot of the campsites we're talking about:

Campsites.jpg
GPS: 3359'28.84"N, 116 3'36.55"W

Eileen

PS: The campsites he refers to as 'curbside parking' I refer to as 'pull-overs.' We encountered the same type of spots at Escalante Nat'l Mon and Grand Canyon North Rim last year.

Attached Files

#44 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

CHILI LUNCH

For those of you who are planning to be at Joshua Tree on Sunday, Feb 6th, you're invited to come by my trailer at 1 pm for homemade chili (made with ground turkey — some of it with beans and some without). BTW, it will NOT be hot. I don't like to be in pain when I eat.

Bring the beverage of your choice and a chair. If you have a side dish or chips, etc. you'd like to contribute, bring it along too.

Figured this would be a good time for all of us to introduce (or in some cases, re-introduce) ourselves to one another since most of us will be together for the next week.

If you haven't already responded in this thread (so I know how many to plan for), you can either post here or PM me. By my count, we're going to have at least a dozen Casitas there.

Eileen

#45 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:21 AM

I would have loved to been out there with yall. But couldn't make it due to weather situations in Texas.
Please post some pics in the general forum and hope yall had a nice time.

Edited by Mark Watson, 15 February 2011 - 01:08 AM.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD