• Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 06:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:36 PM

Thanks, Jim, for the breakdown, and Kathi for scouting out the water and dumpsite.

So, JUMBO ROCKS it is.

Everyone can arrive anytime they wish during the week of February 6th. I'll probably arrive on Monday 2/7.

Leave whatever day you'd like for Quartzsite. Officially I believe the Quartzsite gathering doesn't start until Friday, but there are a lot of folks who get there a day or two early.

I'd like to spend time in Palm Springs (as a day trip) too. I'll have to think about Slab City.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#17 csjim

csjim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

Cottonwood and Black Rock campgrounds have dump stations. Water is available at those 2 places as well as at the Oasis Visitor Center, Indian Cove Ranger Station, and West Entrance.

I will probably move from Jumbo Rocks to Cottonwood for my last night at Joshua Tree since that is the direction I plan to leave anyway. Then I can see the sights in that part of the NP and not have to backtrack quite so many miles. Even if I don't relocate, I'll still stop at Cottonwood to dump and fill with water. I'll bet that's acceptable with a receipt from the other campground. Even if they charge $5 that's OK.

I have not checked yet for commercial places like Flying J between Joshua Tree and Quartzsite. There's undoubtedly a place available in Blythe.

Jim in Colorado Springs

#18 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

Do note that Jumbo rocks is at 4,400 ft. Cottonwood is at 3,000ft. Can make a difference in temps in winter.

ps: Don't know yet where I'm going to be in Febr, but I keep following this thread, just in case.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#19 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' FD 2010

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

Ed (and anyone else interested), I think we will be going to DV (Furnace Creek CG), anyway, maybe a few days or a week prior to the JT get together. If anyone is intersted let's get together to either meet there (DV) or caravan together to Furnace Creek. On the way we'll probably go thru Las Vegas, maybe stay at Terribles in Parhump and hit the Nut House in Beatty on the way to DV. You could catch up with us at any of those locations. Also on the way there we probably will stay at Katherine Landing CG in Lake Mead RA just north of Bullhead City, another place to catch up to us.

Edited by WtMtJim, 14 November 2010 - 04:24 PM.

White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)
2010 Casita 16' FD - "Egg'Scape Pod"
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 - sway bar & air bag suspension helpers
"The road is always better than the inn." - Cervantes

#20 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

Do note that Jumbo rocks is at 4,400 ft. Cottonwood is at 3,000ft. Can make a difference in temps in winter.

ps: Don't know yet where I'm going to be in Febr, but I keep following this thread, just in case.

Thanks, Ed. Good to know. Beauty is, we can take it day by day and move if it's too cold.

As we learned on the Utah Tour, a few thousand feet can make a world of difference!

Hope to see you at Joshua Tree or Quartzsite or both.

Eileen

#21 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

Ed (and anyone else interested), I think we will be going to DV (Furnace Creek CG), anyway, maybe a few days or a week prior to the JT get together. If anyone is intersted let's get together to either meet there (DV) or caravan together to Furnace Creek. On the way we'll probably go thru Las Vegas, maybe stay at Terribles in Parhump and hit the Nut House in Beatty on the way to DV. You could catch up with us at any of those locations. Also on the way there we probably will stay at Katherine Landing CG in Lake Mead RA just north of Bullhead City, another place to catch up to us.

Please post when you know what days you'll be at Lake Mead RA and Furnace Creek. There may be a few folks here who'd like to join you.

Eileen

#22 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

You may want to add Las Vegas Bay campground in the Lake Mead national area to overnight possibility enroute. I stayed there one week just recently. $10 + $5 day entrance to LMNRA, or $5 and zip with geezer card. I liked LVBay c.g. because it is quiet, completely irrigated so lots of trees, shrubs and privacy between sites, and an alert camphost. Also has a no-generator section. It's far enough from the lake to avoid attracting the jetski/beer crowd, and an easy shot to 215/160 towards Pahrump.
  • Ramblinon likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#23 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:55 AM

AMENDED POST: ROLLING RALLY

In the week prior to the Quartzsite Gathering, please join us!

Joshua Tree National Park (Jumbo Rocks ~ no reservation campground)
Arrive anytime during the week between February 6th (Sunday) through 9th (Wednesday).
$18 per night or $9 with Senior Pass
JOSHUA TREE MAP

Leave for Quartzsite (Dome Rock) on Thursday 2/10 or Friday 2/11 (your choice)
Camping is FREE!

The entire trip will be without hookups.

February average highs / lows
Joshua Tree CA ~ 69 / 39, with .52" precipitation and no snow
Quartzsite AZ ~ 71 / 45, with .51" precipitation

If you are interested in joining us, let us know by posting in this thread or JUST SHOW UP!

Eileen

#24 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

Sometime prior to the Joshua Tree & Quartzsite get-togethers we will be going to Death Valley. Here is the rough itinerary. If anyone wants to join us for some or all of it send me a PM for the details.

Las Vegas Bay CG on Lake Meade (Thanks, ED, for the suggestion)
Tecopa Hot Springs CG (soak in the hot springs and other things to do in the area)
While in Tecopa we will driving over to Death Valley Jct. to attend the play at the Amargosa Opera House.
Furnace Creek CG in Death Valley (Much to see & do in DV.)
On to Jumbo Rocks CG in Joshua Tree
On to Quartzsite & camp at Dome Rock.

Edited by WtMtJim, 16 November 2010 - 02:06 PM.

White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)

#25 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17' SD
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

We are planning to join all of you at Death Valley, and continue on to Joshua Tree, and then to Quartzite. :dncinban:

Our son is in the Air Force and will be stationed at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas then, so we plan to go by and visit with him on the way.

This will be our first time on a Casita Rally/Camp out/gathering, or what ever you guys call this one, so we will be the neubs. You all will have to promise to go easy on us, OK? :unsure:

We're looking foward to it.
Steve

Edited by SteveH, 22 November 2010 - 03:24 PM.

Regards,
Steve

#26 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

Welcome, Steve, to the pre-Joshua Tree, Pre-Quartzisite Rally Rally in Death Valley. It will be like a snowball rolling downhill. A few of us in DV, then more in JT and then the big blow-out in QZ. In fact, even before DV my lovely bride and I will be at Lake Meade and then Tecopa Hot Springs if anyone wants to join us for that leg of the pre-rally, too. The more the merrier. Give me a holler if you can join us for some or all of the pre-Quartzsite activities. While camped at Tecopa Hot Springs we also will probably run over to Death Valley Junction to the Amargosa Opera House for the program called "If These Walls Could Talk".
White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)

#27 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Radio Control Aircraft, Kayaking, Photography, Travel

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. As you know, it's a good way from Texas to Death Valley, so our plans are to deadhead straight to Las Vegas (probably take us two days), spend at least one night there visiting our son.

Edit....OK, just went back and read the entire thread and learned that Death Valley is not in the plan for the group gathering. I'll have to rethink my plans a little, and will post again later.

Edited by SteveH, 23 November 2010 - 03:43 PM.

Regards,
Steve

#28 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

[quote name='WtMtJim' timestamp='1289945135' post='134957']

Las Vegas Bay CG on Lake Meade (Thanks, ED, for the suggestion)

I recall how I missed the quick turn-off to the c.g. so this quick note: After entering the Lake Mead rec area, you follow the road for a couple of miles until you see the sign for the (left) turn off to Las Vegas Bay. Immediately after this left turn you make another left (the campground sign is very small and half hidden behind a bush) and then about 1 mile to the c.g.. If you miss that second turn and go straight, you wind up to a closed road, (useta go to the lake when the lake useta be there).

Also, check the web or call for infor on the roadwork if you take highway 93 Kingman-Henderson. Crews were working on rerouting traffic to the new approach to the bridge. Took me one hour to do five miles SE bound last trip, just 'parked' on the highway.

Edited by Dutchman, 23 November 2010 - 05:37 PM.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#29 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Jim. As you know, it's a good way from Texas to Death Valley, so our plans are to deadhead straight to Las Vegas (probably take us two days), spend at least one night there visiting our son.

Edit....OK, just went back and read the entire thread and learned that Death Valley is not in the plan for the group gathering. I'll have to rethink my plans a little, and will post again later.

Hi Steve --

Looking foward to meeting you both!

Technically, Death Valley isn't part of this Rolling Rally anymore, but there will still be a few Casitans who will be there. I wouldn't rule it out unless it crowds your other plans.

We'll go easy on your for the first day or two since you're Newbies, but after that...:P

You'll be surprised at how much you'll learn from everyone. You'll go home with a couple of new tricks that'll make Casita life easier.

See you at Joshua Tree!

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 24 November 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#30 SteveH

SteveH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Eileen,

We're looking foward to it also.

Not exactly shure how we will do it now, but working on "the plan". We've been to Death Valley, although many years ago, and then just to drive thru. It was in the summer, and we had no desire to stop and do anything, but in the winter.....

Anyway, we're working on it.
Regards,
Steve