ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 06:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:06 AM

In the week prior to the Quartzsite Gathering, several of us will be traveling to Death Valley National Park (Furnace Creek / $18 per night or $9 with Senior Pass) for three nights (Sun-Tues, Feb 6-8), Joshua Tree National Park (Indian Cove or Black Rock) for two nights (Wed-Thurs, Feb 9-10), then on to Quartzsite on Friday morning (Feb 11).

The entire trip will be without hookups.

February average highs / lows
Death Valley CA ~ 73 / 46, with .42" precipitation and no snow
Joshua Tree CA ~ 69 / 39, with .52" precipitation and no snow
Quartzsite AZ ~ 71 / 45, with .51" precipitation

If you are interested in joining us, please let me know by posting in this thread.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 03 November 2010 - 01:39 PM.

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#2 Sage

Sage
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 07:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 SD/17'
  • Interests:Hiking, rockhounding, silversmithing, reading and painting.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

Eileen,
I am interested in joining you. Have never visited Death Valley and it is on my list.
Diane
Sage & Miss Fannie
2002 17' Casita SD
1999 Ford Explorer
S. CA

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

Eileen,
I am interested in joining you. Have never visited Death Valley and it is on my list.
Diane

Love to have you along, Diane!

Now, we just need to keep our fingers crossed that we have great weather. That time of year can be dicey.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 03 November 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

Yep. It's below sea level and if it rains a lot you may have to snorkel back to camp <_<

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

Death?
Did you ever consider that perhaps it's called "Death Valley" for a reason?

No Hookups? Shudder.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl, who prefers to "walk" on grass, not sand.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#6 blondies

blondies
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Love to take Rosie on the road to places near and far. Last year spend 5 weeks exploring the Canadian Rockies. We go trout fishing in the eastern Sierras, explore the Calif. central coast, visit friends and family. Have golf clubs and will travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:2880

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

What fun to have more Casitas at Furnace Creek. We are spending a week there, starting Feb. 6, with another Casita owner from Grand Junction. Death Valley is wonderful, no grass, no hookups, but we do not care. This will be our 8th visit in 10 years. Look forward to seeing you in February Joe & Joni
Joe & Joni

#7 WtMtJim

WtMtJim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' FD 2010

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

We've camped in several places in Death Valley over the years and it's a great place to go, especially in the winter months. We actually survived -- not once but several times.

Reminds me of my favorite true-life Death Valley yarn. We once drove several days from Arizona to camp in Death Valley and see the sites. We got to Scotty's Junction and the road into the park was blocked with a sign that said, "Death Valley is closed due to Flooding." Who'd a thunk it. We backtracked to Vegas as our plan "B", the two places being so similar, don'tcha know. Always have a plan "B".
White Mountain Jim
(Jim & Alice)
2010 Casita 16' FD - "Egg'Scape Pod"
2005 Toyota 4Runner V8 - sway bar & air bag suspension helpers
"The road is always better than the inn." - Cervantes

#8 csjim

csjim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:05 AM

Add me to the list.

Jim in Colorado Springs

#9 csjim

csjim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

Change of plans for me: I've decided that I want more time at both Joshua Tree and Death Valley. Therefore I now plan to be at Joshua Tree for about 4 days immediately before the Quartzsite Gathering. After Quartzsite, I'll spend a few days working my way north and then spend a full week at Death Valley.

Jim in Colorado Springs

#10 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Change of plans for me: I've decided that I want more time at both Joshua Tree and Death Valley...

Jim, I haven't posted a confirmation publically, but I plan on joining the advance tour to Quartzsite - at least in part. Like yourself, I'll probably want more time than just 1 full day in J-T and (especially) D-V. Maybe a return visit through Titus Cyn or up to Aguereberry Point (and his camp) as well as other points of interests off Wildrose Cyn. So much to do and see...

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#11 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Change of plans for me: I've decided that I want more time at both Joshua Tree and Death Valley...

Jim, I haven't posted a confirmation publically, but I plan on joining the advance tour to Quartzsite - at least in part. Like yourself, I'll probably want more time than just 1 full day in J-T and (especially) D-V. Maybe a return visit through Titus Cyn or up to Aguereberry Point (and his camp) as well as other points of interests off Wildrose Cyn. So much to do and see...

In hindsight, I think the combination of Death Valley and Joshua Tree in only one week is too big an undertaking.
When I posted this, I hadn't calculated the miles between the two parks, and it's around 335. That's too much.

How about if we all plan to just meet up at only at JOSHUA TREE this time around?
Let's plan to do Death Valley later.

Jim, how did you come to choose Jumbo Rock vs other campgrounds in the park?

Eileen

#12 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

How about if we all plan to just meet up at only at JOSHUA TREE this time around?
Let's plan to do Death Valley later.

This alternate plan seems more practical, although I'm not sure what one does in J-T for 4 nights other than hiking or bicycling. Cutting D-V out entirely and approaching J-T the back way from Apple Valley reduces my round trip prox 300 miles. Maybe I'll visit D-V in January instead with moto buds for the annual "Death Valley Daze" ride based in lovely downtown Beatty NV. :unsure:

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#13 Colorado Kathi

Colorado Kathi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

So are people thinking Joshua Tree first and then Quartzite or the other way around? If I am coming that far, I would like to also go to Palm Springs (never been there) and Salton Sea area to just SEE Slab City. These could possibly be just day trips, I imagine. My days are flexible either way. I don't know yet what there is to do/see in Joshua Tree, but Jim seems to have done research and thinks it needs a few days at least.

I am flexible.

Kathi
Colorado Kathi
2003 17' SD
1996 Chevy Silverado

#14 csjim

csjim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

Eileen has asked why I chose Jumbo Rocks cg in Joshua Tree. Hereís my convoluted logic.

Sheep Pass cg is ruled out immediately because it is only a group campground.

Hidden Valley and White Tank cgs are ruled out immediately because they have a size limit of 25 feet including the tow vehicle.

That leaves Black Rock, Cottonwood, Belle, Indian Cove, Jumbo Rocks, and Ryan campgrounds.

Black Rock is ruled out because of its location in the northwest corner of the NP.

Cottonwood is ruled out because it is in the south area away from the main action, although I may move there for the last night or two in order to see that section of the NP and to be closer to Quartzsite upon departure.

Indian Cove is the only one of the remaining cgs that accepts reservations, but it is also located inconveniently off of Hwy 62, resulting in longer drives to the main action.

Belle, Ryan, and Jumbo Rocks are all located in the center of the NP, but none of them take reservations. Belle has only 18 sites. Ryan has 31 sites. Jumbo Rocks has 124 sites. I figure my best odds of getting a site I like will be at Jumbo Rocks, just based on the numbers. The price is $10 for the young-uns and $5 for geezers like me.

Iím also not worried about not having reservations because I will arrive on Sunday, February 6, when the weekenders will be leaving, and even if it is full, I can check the other cgs or go to one of the overflow areas north or south of the NP.

I won't have any trouble filling up my time there because there are many hikes as well as scenic drives and 4WD roads.

Jim in Colorado Springs

#15 Colorado Kathi

Colorado Kathi
  • Casita Club Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

I see water and dump stations are not at Jumbo Rocks campground. I think that needs to be taken into consideration also if we are there a number of days.
Kathi

Edited by kjennin, 13 November 2010 - 09:36 AM.

Colorado Kathi
2003 17' SD
1996 Chevy Silverado