#16 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 PM
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

Harold, We havenít had any updates lately regarding your Barred Owl.. With that this topic posted under hobbies I hope Ericís post about keeping everything Casita related does not reflect this category. Sharing wildlife photography seems to fit into the joy of your observations. We are waiting to hear about the new arrivals in your back yard. Has she had her babies yet? Please keep us updated and share pictures with us. Terry

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#17 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Harold, We haven't had any updates lately regarding your Barred Owl.. With that this topic posted under hobbies I hope Eric's post about keeping everything Casita related does not reflect this category. Sharing wildlife photography seems to fit into the joy of your observations. We are waiting to hear about the new arrivals in your back yard. Has she had her babies yet? Please keep us updated and share pictures with us. Terry

Well Terry, thanks for your interest.

Based on the activity we are certain the eggs, however many there are, have hatched. It has become a study of "Owl behavior" for us.

We are trying to figure out when the female owl sleeps. She is in the box all day, looking out at us watching her. About an hour before sunset the male calls from the nearby pines. Wednesday he called twice before she answered, he acknowledged her answer and she responded again. Then, about right at sunset she quickly flew out of the box. Evidently both male and female hunt a night and at this time I don't think they are bringing fresh kill to the babies.

Yesterday I thought I would get pictures. I went and sat on the deck with camera in hand and right on time the male called. But with me sitting in plain view of her she didn't answer. He called again and again she didn't answer. After his fourth call she answered and I shot this picture in the middle of her
"who-cooks-for-you, who-cooks-for-you-all" hooting.
Attached File  P3150001.JPG   178.93KB   9 downloads

He acknowledged her call and she responded. That was the end of the exchange.

Assuming she would not fly with me sitting in the open, I went in the house and sat by the window for forty minutes. I moved away from the window for a split second to reach for something and turned around just in time to see her flying away from the box. I do believe the owls know more about our behavior than we know about theirs.

This cloudy, rainy morning when I looked out, there was no owl in the box looking back at me. Then I saw one fly to a limb close by. Ah ha, she saw me, so I turned off the lights in the house so she couldn't spy on me and I could spy on her. It didn't work, owls have better eyesight than humans. She picked up and flew farther away. Later in the morning, after we went about our routine and were out of sight, she returned to the nesting box, resuming her daily doldrums.

As the babies get older, I believe we will see more daytime activity. That's the way it was in '08 when we observed the nesting pair.

Harold

#18 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Is she being shy and not wanting to show off those little ones? Should be some new developments soon.

We have cows behind our property line and the calves are so much fun watching. Spring is such a wonderful time for new beginnings.
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Tundra, 5.7 2008

#19 Kurt M

Kurt M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 106 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 SD 17
  • Interests:Astronomy, birding, photography, canoe/kayak, fly fishing, etc., etc.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

> I do believe the owls know more about our behavior than we know about theirs.

Excellent photographs, and wonderful commentary! I'm new to this site, and this thread is already a favorite - please do keep it updated!
Posted Image

#20 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Update.

On Monday, mama owl evidently decided it was getting a little crowded and it time for her to get out and spend more time out of the house.

Attached File  P3190004.JPG   144.58KB   3 downloads 3/19/2012 1:28PM

We still have not seen the hatchings, but can tell by her actions there is at least one baby owl in the box. As I've stated, based on our previous observation experience, as the young ones grow the adults get more active during the day bringing in fresh kill. However, it is still mostly an evening and night operation.

Attached File  P3190001-1.JPG   103.27KB   4 downloads 3/19/2012 6:53PM - Not a good photo, but could that be blackbird pie she's serving?

The adult owl keeps in "seeing distance" of the nest box when she's out and her mate isn't far away. By mid day yesterday, we were becoming kida concerned that we hadn't seen any activity around the nest box for more than twenty-four hours. We were relieved, yet disgusted, when the flock of crows let us know exactly where the owl was. Four to six crows were doing their best to chase the owl away from its "seeing distance" perch some 150 yards from the nesting box, but the owl "held its ground" and the crows left. Julie wanted to go out a chase the crows away and I told her they probably had good cause for their disapproval of the owl's presence. Maybe the owl had already given the babies a lesson in how to eat crow.

Harold

#21 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

I haven't been making all this up. There really is at least one baby owl in that box and we got our first ever so brief look at it today.

Attached File  P3230002.JPG   334.96KB   6 downloads

Harold

#22 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

First look -

Attached File  P3300004.JPG   127.19KB   9 downloads

"My my it's a big world outside."

#23 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

So she really had a baby. How cute, and great photography work. I am so glad you have been keeping us update on this. Spring is a new beginning for nature to show us the beauty of so many creations.
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Tundra, 5.7 2008

#24 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

So how do owls get wise?

Attached File  P4040020a (Large).jpg   133.73KB   3 downloads Intense study.
4/4/2012

Edited by usburros, 04 April 2012 - 07:59 AM.

#25 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Sooner or later (unlike some humans) owls leave the nest.

Attached File  P4050008.JPG   55.99KB   7 downloads Out to face the cruel world, and the guy with the camera. But, its sibling is still in the box.

Here's a new one:

Attached File  P4040009.JPG   109.29KB   7 downloads Juvenile Great Horned Owl

Our daughter returned from a horseback ride yesterday telling me one of our owls was in yonder woods. I knew at that time the Barred Owls had not left the nesting box. So, I went to check and found this Great Horned Owl perched in full view. It too had evidently recently left its nest.

It appears my owl watching hobby may be coming to a close. It's been fun.

#26 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,073 posts
  • Local time: 01:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks, Harold. I've really been enjoying the photos. Sorry to read it's coming to an end. How neat that you get to watch the wildlife around you.

Owls are wise because they ask a lot of questions, like "Who?" And because some appear to be wearing those big, round-rimmed, librarian glasses. ;)

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#27 Glen S

Glen S
  • Casita Club Member
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 PM

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

Thank You for sharing these wonderful pictures Harold. I didn't miss amy of them!! :D

#28 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 122 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Very Cool! You are truly lucky to see and capture that picture.. Thank you for sharing!
So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#29 CamperDowning

CamperDowning
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 01:07 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Keep us posted Harold. Great pictures and enjoy reading about your back yard friends.

Well, it's day 31 since we first saw her in the box. She seems to be more restless, but we keep watching and she does too.

3/2/12

This is marvelous. Thanks for sharing!

#30 Us burros

Us burros
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

My final post on this "chronicle of the owls."

Attached File  P4050017 (Large).JPG   141.26KB   0 downloads Later in the first day out of the box, the young owl looked as if it wished it could get some rest.

Attached File  P4050002-1 (Large).JPG   112.96KB   0 downloads Meanwhile its sibling was venturing out to take a look at the big world.

Attached File  P4060009 (Large).JPG   125.65KB   2 downloads The next morning the first owl out had climbed higher in the tree and the second one was no longer in the box. This is one of the last pictures I was able to get of the baby owls.

Attached File  P4090014a (Large).jpg   140.18KB   3 downloads While we eat, looking out the back window, it's sorta boring now, maybe a real "empty nest syndrome." I told Julie I might as well put a "vacancy" sign up and we can watch the arriving Hummingbirds until a new occupant moves in.

I have uploaded to HERE most of the "owl pictures."

Harold