71 replies to this topic

#1 GMehl

GMehl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 08:56 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:11585

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

This may be a little controversial, but my intent is for information purposes only. The question is...... do any of you carry firearms in your Casitas for personal protection?

I grew up seeing the movie "Deliverance" at an impressionable age and have never been able to get those images out of my head! I honestly get a little skittish when dry camping. I do okay in RV parks, but state and national parks make me a little goosey.

Also, what are the rules if a bear, cougar or some other wild creature poses a threat to you or your family? Would having a firearm be a viable option in such a situation?

As I said, I'm new to this camping experience and want to do the right thing. I do hope this does not offend anyone.
Deuce and the Sixties Chick - McPherson, KS #11585
RV: 2009 17'LD w/hla - TV: 2003 Chevy Z71, 5.3 V-8, auto.

#2 moxie t moto

moxie t moto
  • Casita Club Member
  • 232 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 PM

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (GMehl @ Sep 9 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may be a little controversial, but my intent is for information purposes only. The question is...... do any of you carry firearms in your Casitas for personal protection?

I grew up seeing the movie "Deliverance" at an impressionable age and have never been able to get those images out of my head! I honestly get a little skittish when dry camping. I do okay in RV parks, but state and national parks make me a little goosey.

Also, what are the rules if a bear, cougar or some other wild creature poses a threat to you or your family? Would having a firearm be a viable option in such a situation?

As I said, I'm new to this camping experience and want to do the right thing. I do hope this does not offend anyone.

unsure.gif
well, you opened up a hornets nest, but here goes i don't go anywhere with out my trusty kimber .45 cal auto never ever when i went to alaska this past may i had a remention .12ga. pump, marli 45-70 lever action and a .22 bolt action rifle, only reason i did not have the kimber was because of canadian rules about barrel lenght didn't need any of them but the feeling of security was a great relief, now the rebuttals to this will begin, don't let anything but fear and common sense stop you rolleyes.gif

#3 Richard & Maggie

Richard & Maggie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

I don' even go to the bathroom without my xd40...Too bad, but it's the world we live in now.

#4 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts
  • Local time: 09:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

then there's guys like me. i don't own a firearm and never have (altho, our government did loan me one for a few years a long time ago). that doesn't mean that i object to you (or any other law abiding citizen) owning one if you're safe, sane and careful. a lot of people i know pack and tell me that i should...it just isn't comfortable. i do feel that you're more likely to need protection in a city than in a state/national park campground.

p@

Edited by f_stop, 09 September 2010 - 01:20 PM.

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#5 Samarai

Samarai
  • Casita Club Member
  • 366 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17'
  • Interests:Travel (RV/Military SpaceA), Metal Detecting, Foreign Language - Japanese

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (f_stop @ Sep 9 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
then there's guys like me. i don't own a firearm and never have (altho, our government did loan me one for a few years a long time ago). that doesn't mean that i object to you (or any other law abiding citizen) owning one if you're safe, sane and careful. a lot of people i know pack and tell me that i should...it just isn't comfortable. i do feel that you're more likely to need protection in a city than in a state/national park campground.

p@

I carry mine in my TV. It is not while I am in the park that I am concerned. It is the places I go while away from the park that concern me.
Bill, Sweetie, & Mago Chan
Travelin' Texan
2003 Casita 17' SD /'05 Chevy van
White's V3 MD
USAF/USA (CWO) Retired

#6 Indy-hp

Indy-hp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

I don't carry a gun camping or at any other time, but I have no problem if you want to, so long as you practice good gun safety and obey the local gun laws.

Edited by Indy-hp, 09 September 2010 - 01:48 PM.

Henry & Debbie
2010 Honda Ridgeline

#7 Leehman Wexlin

Leehman Wexlin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17
  • Interests:photography, sailing, wood working, music

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

Have to unhitch to back up .
Joan Jane Leehman

http://leehman.smugmug.com/

#8 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

I sleep with one at home and in the camper. When I am awakened by a noise or just a strange feeling, placing my hand on it gives me comfort so I don't have to get up and see what it is. I unload it when traveling thru many different states. Laws vary. Some receprocate and some don't. Saw an episode of Cops once where these two Rodeo Cowboys were returning home after an event and were stoped in Utah. Cop found a loaded hand gun in the truck. He made out like it was a serious offense. I shoot often so I know my weapons and have the confidence to use them. I pray I never find myself in the situation. As for the movie, Naw , I ain't got a purty mouth.

#9 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

bring on your bad self ! biggrin.gif

Attached Images

• 250px_Trident_II_missile_image.jpg

2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#10 mike712

mike712
  • Casita Club Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

I have always felt quite safe in state and national parks, in the Midwest, the South and in the Rocky Mountains. I am particularly comfortable if there are some other campers nearby. I have also overnighted in two or three places where I was just a bit uneasy, and made it a point to leave the camping spot ahead of schedule. These places included a junky commercial campground and a remote rural boondocking site. Again, I have never felt uneasy in a state or national park. I do have several firearms, but seldom carried them in the Casita. I think an attack by a wild animal is extremely unlikely in an RV and I do not worry about that situation. Today, if I am going to be boondocking in a remote site I am planning on having a handgun on board. I doubt that I will ever use it, but it makes me feel a little safer. Mike
Mike & Sally
---Iowa---
2004 17 SD
2006 Tundra

#11 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,442 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

Since I did a couple of modifications to the trailer, I'm happy to leave the small stuff at home. biggrin.gif

boonie_protection_with_lights.jpg

Harold

#12 weavejd

weavejd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 84 posts
  • Local time: 07:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, running, bicycling
  • Trailer Name:Huevo Duro

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Harold, did you have to do much reinforcing of the roof? biggrin.gif
Dave & Kathy
"Given a choice, it's better to wear out than rust out" - Dr. Francis D. O'Connor
2008 FJ Cruiser
2010 Casita 17' FD - "Huevo Duro"
Our website
Retired!

#13 scubarx

scubarx
  • Casita Club Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

I carry two .45's, sometimes an AK, our Doberman and, oh, my wife who is a dead-eye shot with her .45. We both have concealed carry permits that are good in most any state we care anything about visiting.

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Lucy plus our beloved Storm and Maggie (both waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I Outlaw Oliver
2014 Legacy Elite II Outlaw Oliver

2017 Silverado High Country 2500HD Diesel 4x4

ALAZARCACOCTDEGAIDILINKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMSMO

Not all those who wander are lost,

And the road goes ever on...

Seeing America in our Outlaw Oliver(s) since 2008...

#14 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 2,970 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

Funny, funny thread.

When we tent camped, I was nervous about bears. But far more nervous about loony people like the sickle ax murderer that would hack up campers. Oh gee, I shouldn't have mentioned that, should I. Well, it was a long, long time ago in northern California just before I started tent camping.

But about bears; they have an extremely good sense of smell and when they show up in a campground, they are looking for food. So, if you are camping in bear country, keep food stored inside the trailer or vehicle. National & State Parks that are frequented by bears are usually posted and many have bear proof garbage cans and bear boxes (for storage) to keep them away. If you camp in a one of these parks, you shouldn't ever need a gun. They suggest banging pots and pans together to scare the bear away.

Green Point Campground in Pacific Rim NP, Canada has a Clean Camp program to protect both campers and bears. They have found that this program really works.

Here is what they suggest to keep a "Bare Campsite"
To bear-proof your campsite, store all food and anything that might attract wildlife in a hard-sided vehicle, trailer or motor home or in campground food storage lockers (not in a tent or tent-trailer) when not in use. These items include:

•coolers (full and empty)
•food and condiments
•garbage/wrappings/plastic bags
•dishes/pots
•pet food/bowls
•bottles/cans (full and empty)
•tablecloths
•toiletries/suntan lotion/insect spray
•campstoves/barbeques
•containers of gasoline/oil
•any item associated with food preparation or clean up (soap, dish cloths and towels)
•pails with grey water (water used for cooking or washing)

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#15 Tom Ayers

Tom Ayers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Well yes, I frequently include a firearm of some kind among the other tools (like socket wrenchs) I pack before a long trip with the sincere hope I don't need them. But always cased and unloaded. I have to add, I have never felt the need to have a gun in a campground of any kind. If I had a mechanical problem and had to pull off in an isolated part of the desert overnight, now that would put me on alert.
As for bears, etc.; bear spray is another way to go. Since I camp and hike in grizzly country I keep a canister of that handy.

Tom
Tom & Carol
2001 17' SD
2005 Tundra 4WD