• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 162 posts
  • Local time: 05:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

I've never owned a trailer with electric brakes before, so I'd like to ask a really basic question. The natural, or resting, state of hydraulic brakes is Off. That is, you have to apply the brake pedal to activate the brakes and stop the vehicle. The natural state of modern air brakes is On. That is, strong springs hold the brakes constantly On, and the air pressure is used to release the brakes so you can move (that way, if you lose air pressure, the vehicle automatically stops rather than running away until it hits something).

Are the electric brakes on a Casita naturally On or Off? That is, if you have no connection to the TV's power, can you still move the trailer? Does the brake system have some sort of fail-safe device in case the electric plug comes undone while you're driving, and how does that work?

Thanks

#2 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

the electric brakes are normally OFF - it will roll, if disconnected ... the 'breakaway switch', located on the tongue, will lock up your brakes, if it should come free, for any reason ... TIP: you should manually adjust the trailer brakes before trying to adjust your electronic brake controller - my new Casita had the brakes backed almost all the way off, when I took possession of it - hope this helps

Edited by roadcam, 22 August 2010 - 06:34 AM.

2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#3 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

#4 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:48 AM

Also realize that electric brakes are OFF with the vehicle stopped, even if you have your foot on the brake, or the emergency break-away switch has been activated. They will draw current, but provide absolutely no braking unless moved*.

They also don't wok going backwards, so you don't have brakes unless you are moving forward.

Bob
*If you slowed and stopped using the brakes, there will be some residual braking forward, but if the trailer WAS stopped (w/o the brakes applied), and you apply brakes, no braking occurs unless you actually move forward.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 22 August 2010 - 06:48 AM.

#5 EdKH

EdKH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 392 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

The trailer electric brakes have an electromagnet that is activated when electricity from your electric brake controller is applied to the electric winding in the magnet. The electromagnet attaches itself to the brake drumb and the forward rotation of the brake drumb applies the trailer brakes.

The more electric current applied the more braking power, less electrical current applied less braking power.

Therefore there are no trailer brakes when standing still and no trailer brakes in reverse because the brake drumb is rotating in the wrong direction to apply the brakes.

Edited by EdKH, 22 August 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#6 dfield

dfield
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Wow, I'm glad I asked. The electric brakes are definitely functioning a little bit differently than I had imagined.