• Local time: 06:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (pdstringer42 @ Aug 10 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stopped at the Discount Tire Store in Lufkin last week and asked one of the young fellas at the desk, "What's the difference in trailer tires and light truck tires."

His answer: "Trailer tires are for trailers and light truck tires are for light trucks." DUUUHHH

But his compadre at another computer told me that trailer tires (ST) have stiffer sidewalls than LTs.

What he told me agrees with the link Carol posted above. However, it is contrary to what Don posted.

I think a stiffer sidewall would be advantageous for a Casita tire, but which one--ST or LT--has the stiffer wall???

I am still confused.

I don't have anything to sell and I don't represent any company, I hope I'm not coming across arogant. I just have the experience of 4 sets of tires in almost 8 years of owning our Casita. After the Carlisles blew in the first 6 months I was on the road and had to pretty much take what was in stock, it happened to be Uhaul bias belt tires from a dealer who had lost his contract with Uhaul they were 6 ply rated at about 2200 lbs. At this time I was already thinking of pickup truck tires, even wrote a big thingy about my reasoning on these forums, with the single axle reasoning, that the pickup tires on the Casita would be doing the same thing as they do on a pickup, hauling the rear end around. Back to the uhauls, Other than the fact they were bias and didn't wear well they were a great tire for about 17,000 miles, although they were balanced they wore a bit choppy and on the way home from a 13,000 mile trip I again found myself at the mercy of a tire dealers stock and ended up with 215R75-14 milestar made in China. They did fine for 13 months and then within 350 miles I blew both, the last 70 miles from home. I parked the Casita in a gas station told the folks I'd be back for it in the a.m. and drove home. Next morning I borrowed a spare from another trailer and brought the Casita home. By this time I read one of Gene's post about the Kuhmo pickup tires, seems he had been doing a bit of research but none were available, I then went to Maxxis and bought one of the last sets of the commercial pickup tire available before they stopped importing them. I have had them on for 23 months and have well over 20,000 miles on them without a hiccup or a sigh. Now, I'm not about to argue the point about ST tires as long as you are using them on a tandem axle but if you want to argue about single axles I will tell you that you are wrong,wrong, wrong the single axle trailers do NOT need extra side wall strength on them any more than an SUV, van or truck. Bottom line, if you feel like you need ST tires, go for it but You will not see any on my trailer as long as I'm having this kind of service out of LT's. That is my experience and my opinion and I'm stuck on it. Now that the Maxxis UE-168 205R14C P/N TL12458000 is not available what would I recommend if I still wanted 14" wheels?? I think I would try the TL12459000 they are "D"rated for the same weight as mine at 2271 lbs. and the size is 205/80R14 they measure 27.1 inches in dia. these will put you about 1/2" closer to the fiberglass fender well.
If you have 15" wheels I would recommend P/N TL15800000 215/70 R15 these are also D rated at 2271 lbs and the dia, is 26.9 inches these will put you about 5/16" closer to the wheel well. These are the 2 options I will be considering on the next set of tires for mine. Good Luck in your choice

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#17 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (MikeA @ Jul 24 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don, you seem to really put some mileage on your trailer, and I believe you have an upcoming trip also.
Please let us know how you like those new Vanco-8 tires after you have had them in service for a while.
I looked at the Continental web site and they look like a nice choice for our Casita's.
Mike

Not much use yet but did do almost 3,000 on a trip to SE earlier this month. Ran the 15" Continentals at 60 psi and they performed as expected, no air loss, felt very stable back there and tracked well. The tread depth measured the same at the end of the trip as at the beginning. Mostly Interstate driving, very hot daytime air temps, drove 65-70 mph.

190_Doesnt_look_too_shabby_either.JPG

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#18 Len Satic

Len Satic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Well, my Kuhmo's are 14 months old and have 21,946 miles on them. Run them at 65psi and check it before every departure. There are lots of variables involved.

LS
2008 SD 17
2006 Chev Tahoe LT 4x4
CasitaLog Blog

#19 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Len Satic @ Aug 21 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, my Kuhmo's are 14 months old and have 21,946 miles on them. Run them at 65psi and check it before every departure. There are lots of variables involved.
LS

Len - I agree with you on the Kumhos - mine had about 30,000 when one got a sidewall cut (road hazard stuff). At that time, since I was going to put some money into tires, decided to upgrade to 15" as that had been on my todo list.

I ran the Kumhos at 60 psi and they gave me good service - I expect the Continentals to do the same.

Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g