pdstringer42
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Liberty Deluxe 17'
  • Trailer Name:Eggstream
  • Casita Club Directory #:1329

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

Saturday, July 17. 2010--Merrily rolling along at 60mph on US 281 about 8 miles South of Lampassas, Texas. Heard a "Pfoomp", looked in rearview mirror and saw Casita leaning a bit to the shoulder side of the road. Pulled off to a grassy area. Three year old Kumho with about 5,000 miles on it was a goner. Replaced it with the spare, a Marathon, also three years old and never on the ground. Proceded to my son's house near Gatesville, TX.

Sunday, July 18, 2010--Only tire seller open in Gatesville on Sunday was Wally Mart, and their only trailer tire was a Marathon. Bought that and put it on the spare rack.

Monday morning, July 19--At the city limits of Hico, TX, with less than 100 miles on it, the original Marathon which I had just put on disintegrated to shreds. Pulled into a shady spot in a church parking lot and replaced it with the new Marathon. Went on to the only tire store in Hico and bought a tire of unknown heritage--only one they had--for a spare.

Monday about noon, July 19--Somewhere on SH 51 South of Decatur, TX, the OTHER Kumho lost its tread. Drove very slowly for about 1,000 feet before finding a suitable place to stop. Put the new spare on and proceeded to Decatur. Spotted a big RV dealership. Stopped and asked the owner who did his tire work. He said there was a shop in town that he used and highly recommended. The guys there said they could order me two very good tires and have them in the next morning. This was fine with me since I was planning to spend a couple of nights there anyway. I asked, "What kind can you get?" Answer: "CARLISLE." I said, "Get 'em, and I'll be back day after tomorrow."

Wednesday, July 21--Had the new ones put on, used the nearly-new Marathon as a spare. Drove about 225 miles to home with no difficulty.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ok OK OK... I know what y'all think about Carlisles. BUT... I plan to put the ones I bought on my little 12 foot utility trailer, and put some other brand on the Casita.

BUT WITH WHAT OTHER BRAND???

I am so confused I can't remember whether to scratch my watch or wind my butt!!!

PS: During all three "failures," the Casita never swayed or wobbled. In fact, the way I knew something was wrong the second time was when my pickup down-shifted while on level ground and I looked in the mirror and saw the trailer was slightly tilting.
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tow = "Eggstream-II" -- 2003 17' LD;
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Geez, talk about a three-wheel circus. You need to get a job with a NASCAR pit crew now!

This may be what you're looking for (borrowed from CasitaForum):

Maxxis Commercial Tires UE-168 series (205/R14C - 2271 load - TL12458000)
http://www.gripston....CFc5L5QodPnlYkA

Maxxis Commercial Tires UE-168 series (225/70R15C - 2469 load - TL15821000)
http://www.gripston....CFc5L5QodPnlYkA

Makes me nervous about my Kumhos now. sad.gif

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#3 bama

bama
  • Casita Club Member
  • 250 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 LD 17
  • Interests:rving , dogs ,pets of all kind, people,.
  • Trailer Name:ROAD TOAD THREE
  • Casita Club Directory #:1795 Host

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

I wont go into all the mess about trying to get tires while on the road, that said i got 3 Hercules trailer tires has any one used, know , or here of these ?

Herschel , Darlene & Tinkerbell Bowers
Van Buren, AR
Gateway to the wild wild west
2015 RAM  TUG

#4 pdstringer42

pdstringer42
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

So I need to ax y'all another kwershun....

No where on the description of the Maxxis UE-168 Bravo do I find trailer tire. This is important, isn't it???
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329

#5 JerryC

JerryC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 541 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 ID
  • Interests:Sightseeing, Hiking, Geocaching, Hot Air Ballooning, Touring this great country in our Casita.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

I'm definitely not a tire expert, but I'm sure I read somewhere that "trailer" tires weren't required on Casita's due to their being two wheel. You don't get the sidewall flexing on turns like a 4 or 6 wheel trailer. That being said, I thing any load range "D" or better would work fine on a Casita. It could be light truck, commercial, or whatever.

Jerry & Wanda
2016 ID
Deep South
Sometimes home, but mostly gone
http://eggrollings.blogspot.com/

#6 MikeA

MikeA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts
  • Local time: 06:38 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

Now I have those Maxxis tires. I followed the lead of Gene the webmaster from the other forum when I decided to buy them.
These tires are not trailer tires. Rather, they are light truck tires. They do not have the 60 or 65 max speed rating that a trrailer tire would have.
I have brand new Marathons [3] in my garage, and I think that is a good place for them.
While I am no tire expert either, I can't speak highly enough of the Maxxis tire.

Mike

Edited by MikeA, 23 July 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#7 Guest_baron100_*

Guest_baron100_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Paul, glad to hear you had no serious damage as a result of your tire failures and that your Casita stayed stable with the failures. That should be encouraging to other Casita owners.

Maxxis is a tire many of us are using now. Many use the Maxxis UE 168 Commercial LT Tire. Others are using the M8008 ST Radial Trailer tire. The 15' M8008 tire is available with a load range "E" tire. I now have some 8,000 miles on my M8008 tire with good results.

The information below in bold is from another RV forum with responses from Maxxis to a RV user's questions which may be helpful to you.

"I posted a question a few days ago about Goodyear Marathon's. One of the responses suggested going with LT tires. I had heard about using LT tires on this forum many times so I thought I would check out what several dealers had to say about it. The tires I was specifically thinking about using were Maxxis UE 168 commercial LT tires. Basically I got such varied answers that I cam away more confused than ever so I contacted Maxxis directly. Pasted below is my Q&A with Maxxis. I have been meaning to post this for some time but haven't found the time, Some may find it interesting. My questions are numbered Maxxis's answers are ***.

1. The best I can surmise from all the negative opinions is that tire life might/will be significantly reduced because of the scrubbing of the tandem axles on my trailer. Some dealers claim that is the reason ST tires were created because the rubber compounds in ST tires can withstand the scrubbing.

***ST trailer tires are designed for the trailers requirements. ST tires contain rubber compounds that help them hold up to the elements better while in storage. In addition, ST radial trailer tires have a more rounded shoulder design, which allows them to perform better in lateral-scrub conditions such as turning and backing.

2. On the positive side, some dealers claimed that LT tires are really the next generation ST tires and that the rubber compounds used for LT tires can easily withstand the scrubbing while offering a better ride with better load and stress ratings than an ST.

***ST tires are required to carry 10% more load than LT tires. ST tires have a narrower tread width for reduced rolling resistance, and shallower tread depth, which aids in tracking by reducing "tread squirm". ST radial tires have a stiffer sidewall to help control and reduce the occurrence of trailer sway. LT truck tires have a more flexible sidewall than ST trailer tires. It is possible, to use automotive LT radial tires on trailers. LT tires are also designed for heavy-duty use.

3. From my stand point, I need 14 inch tires and I like the higher speed rating of the UE-168's. While I don't make a habit of towing over 65 mph, I do find that in the states where the speed limit is more than 65 I find myself doing more like 70 mph. As I understand it, ST are rated for 65 mph.

***All ST tires are rated at 65 mph. Towing a trailer faster than that, is inviting disaster especially if the trailer is loaded. Whether a trailer has ST or LT tires, towing a trailer at high speeds decreases stopping and braking time which could cause skidding, sliding, jack knifing. Also any sudden steering maneuvers at high speeds could create trailer sway and unwanted side force movement on the trailer.

4. Can you offer me some additional information on LT tires, specifically the UE-168's (unless there is a better option) vs. your ST tires so that I can make a more informed decision. Many people in the travel trailer community have great things to say about Maxxis tires but I fear that selecting the wrong Maxxis tire will leave me disappointed.

***There are distinct differences in the way light truck tires and trailer tires are designed, engineered and constructed. There are also difference in service requirements between light truck tires and trailer tires. Light truck tires are designed for ride, traction and handling which are achieved by adding flex in the sidewalls. Trailer tires are followers and the sidewall flexing in light truck tires is a negative in trailer tires. Sidewall flexing on trailers carrying heavy loads; trailers with high vertical side loads (enclosed/travel trailers); or trailers with light tongue weights; is a primary cause of trailer sway. Light truck radial tires with their flexible sidewalls may increase trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures with ST tires help control and reduce trailer sway. ST trailer tires are constructed with heavier materials and typically are less bruise resistant than light truck tires. "

#8 pdstringer42

pdstringer42
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

All right, guys...

I really appreciate all the input and the time and effort that was expended. smile.gif

However....

The discussion time is over. I call for a vote. huh.gif

For a Casita with 14" wheels, what SPECIFIC tire do you recommend. I will go with the one that gets the most votes.

Thanks!
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329

#9 thetravelkids

thetravelkids
  • Casita Club Member
  • 328 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2583

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (pdstringer42 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a Casita with 14" wheels, what SPECIFIC tire do you recommend. I will go with the one that gets the most votes.

Thanks!

Paul,
We picked up our Casita at the factory on October 4, 2007. We drove home (536 miles) and then to Pensacola, Fl (133 miles) on the original, factory issued Marathons.
I ordered the Maxxis UE-168N tires in size 205R14C (max load 2,271 lbs) and had them mounted, balanced, and metal valve stems installed, on the original factory white-spoke wheels.
We have put well over 21,000 miles on the Maxxis tires and they look as good today as the day they were installed.

Edited by thetravelkids, 23 July 2010 - 12:31 PM.

Bob & Pat
2012 Evergreen Element ET26SLR - "Ms Ellie"
2007 Casita 17' SD, gone but not forgotten
2018 Ford Expedition XLT
Visit us at www.katrinacasita.wordpress.com

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,251 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (pdstringer42 @ Jul 23 2010, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No where on the description of the Maxxis UE-168 Bravo do I find trailer tire. This is important, isn't it???

Here is a link from my files that may be helpful. Trailer Tire Article
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#11 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

Do not get hung up on those who recommend ST tires because of the softer sidewall being able to flex and withstand the rigors of stress when a trailer turns. That applies ONLY to multiple axle trailers. Just watch one sometime when they make a tight turn on a hard surface when backing up. You wonder how the tires even stay on the wheels. With a SINGLE axle trailer that stress is not there and in our case a stiff sidewall is beneficial in the resistance to sway.

About the special compounds added to the rubber to combat the effects of typical use of camping trailers - a lot more sitting than rolling. Also those compounds are stated to resist the harmful effects of UV rays. Time is usually the death blow to camping trailer tires. It does seem that the ST specifications have value but, to me, it seems that the ST tires available today are not suitable for the loads of and speeds driven with Casita 17' and Scamp 19' trailers.

So - my opinion - if I have to mount rubber bands no ST tires will be on my Casita. Recently swapped out my 14' Kumhos for 15' Continental Vanco-8. I would feel comfortable with almost any new Load range D 14" or 15" LT or commercial grade tire. With 15" wheels you have a larger selection of manufacturers to choose from and a better chance of finding a dealer with tires in stock.

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#12 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:41 PM

the MAXXIS I run - ST225.x 75R15 - M8008 radial ... it says 'for trailer use only' right on the sidewall ... so far, so good, with mine ... roughly 10,000 miles on them, almost 2 yrs old, show very little treadwear, no sidewall age, etc ...

Edited by roadcam, 23 July 2010 - 02:42 PM.

2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#13 Roundabout

Roundabout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:37 AM

After reading about so many problems my husband spent weeks studying, talking to dealers, and reading these forums to decide what to do. Changed to 15" wheels with the Max ST225/75R15. We bought our Casita slightly used in April 09 and have not put that many miles on it - but the manufacture date of the old tires put them at 3 years old and we wanted to do as much as possible to try to avoid tire troubles as we're planning a big trip in Sept.

We weighed our Casita on a truck scale - 3,040# with only couple gallons of water in the tank and lightly packed for 2 day trip.
Roundabout
Shenandoah Valley, VA
2008 Casita FD
2012 Toyota Sequoia

#14 MikeA

MikeA
  • Casita Club Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

So - my opinion - if I have to mount rubber bands no ST tires will be on my Casita. Recently swapped out my 14' Kumhos for 15' Continental Vanco-8. I would feel comfortable with almost any new Load range D 14" or 15" LT or commercial grade tire. With 15" wheels you have a larger selection of manufacturers to choose from and a better chance of finding a dealer with tires in stock.

Don

Don, you seem to really put some mileage on your trailer, and I believe you have an upcoming trip also.
Please let us know how you like those new Vanco-8 tires after you have had them in service for a while.
I looked at the Continental web site and they look like a nice choice for our Casita's.
Thanks Don and happy travels to you and your wife.

Mike

#15 pdstringer42

pdstringer42
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

I stopped at the Discount Tire Store in Lufkin last week and asked one of the young fellas at the desk, "What's the difference in trailer tires and light truck tires."

His answer: "Trailer tires are for trailers and light truck tires are for light trucks." DUUUHHH

But his compadre at another computer told me that trailer tires (ST) have stiffer sidewalls than LTs.

What he told me agrees with the link Carol posted above. However, it is contrary to what Don posted.

I think a stiffer sidewall would be advantageous for a Casita tire, but which one--ST or LT--has the stiffer wall???

I am still confused.
Paul Stringer, "Host"
Crockett, Texas
Tug = 2006 Tundra V6
Member# 1329