16 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

We just discovered some cracks = hole in our door, caused by a gust of wind catching it and slamming it against the band trim on some previous trip. The damage resulted from a small bumper I had installed in an attempt to protect the door from this very event. As you can see from the picture, the bumper resulted in a pressure spot that crack the plastic door material. (I moved the bumper off the original spot for the picture.)

In looking at the door it doesn't look like it would be an easy job opening it up to get to the back of the crack and flattening it back out, making it more suitable for gluing and sealing.

So, does anyone have any good ideas on how to repair this, short of putting an even bigger bumper over it to hide it?

Thanks very much for any or all ideas or sympathy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Casita_Door_Crack.jpg

Edited by Patrick M., 08 July 2010 - 01:11 PM.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#2 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 170 posts
  • Local time: 03:43 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Pat,

Welcome to the club! We had the same misfortune with a gust of wind while staying at the Flying J in Dallas. TX. Since we were close to the Casita factory, we went there to have it repaired. Vince used a chrome threshold piece like the one installed on the floor in the entryway to the Casita. He caulked the hole, then put the metal strip just below the door window and secured it with four pop rivets. It aligns nicely with the belly band strip and looks like it belongs there. An added feature is that the strip will protect the door if it is ever slammed against the belly band again. It was a cheap and easy fix that added an extra measure of protection against future mishaps. You may want to order one from Casita or check with your local hardware store.

Bob
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#3 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Bob, I don't want to be in your club! Alas, too late. The Casita fix isn't one I had even imagined but it sounds like a good one. Part of my crack might be above such a new band but it would do the job and protect for the future.

Thanks for the help.
Pat and Marilyn

#4 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

No suggestions but I know how sad you are to see the crack. sad.gif Bob's suggestion sounds good to me.

Reine
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,907 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

Can't help you with how to fix your door, but I know that this has been covered previously, so a forum search might help.

Offhand, my suspicion is that the bumper you used was too small to absorb the pressure and spread the impact over a wider area.

Many folks use the half-dome white balls available at Walmart (less than $3 for two in a package) on their doors to better cushion the blow. Actually, I know that if it were me I'd want it fixed, but one of these half-domes might just cover the affected area.

I have to admit that I haven't put one on mine (which DirtDawg kept reminding me I needed to), but after more than three years of ownership, it's second nature to me to hold on to the inside handle when I open the door under breezy conditions. So far, so good.

Casita is very aware of this design flaw. I talked to Jonathan about it when I picked up my Casita in April 2007. You'd think by now THEY would furnish the bumper! It would probably add less than 50 cents (materials and labor) to the cost of manufacturing.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#6 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:11 AM

Thanks Ellen for the WM big bumper idea. Depending upon how successful the repair is, that might be a perfect solution. I'll do a search but what I'm thinking now is to either 1) remove the window and see if the interior of the door can be accessed to push the crack out, or 2) drill a small hole(s) and insert a angled wire to pull the cracked sections back out to their closed and uptight positions for gluing and patching.

Other threads on this issue:
Door Damage: http://www.casitaclu...showtopic=14495
How To Repair Door Damage: http://www.casitaclu...mp;#entry118178

From the above link, Larry LBJ provided this repair procedure:
"You can repair the door by sealing the cracks with an epoxy paste (epoxy mixed with micro-balloons), wet sand smooth, and then apply a coat of white gelcoat mixed with a few drops of hardener. Place a sheet of wax paper over the repair and smooth with a plastic putty knife. Lightly wet sand after fully cured and then finish with white buffing compound. Materials are available at marine supply stores. You can also buy a small fiberglass repair kit that comes with epoxy, micro balloons, and fiberglass tape."

Edited by Patrick M., 08 July 2010 - 06:50 AM.

Pat and Marilyn

#7 PaPa Smurf

PaPa Smurf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle's,...state Director of TRI, RC car raving..Photo.
  • Casita Club Directory #:?

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

thats not a crack...looks like hold to me......I put a rubber bumper on my door...so far so good...
"Politicians are Like Diapers,
They both need changing regularly
for the SAME reason..........

Just be happy I'm not a Twin....

U,S.N. Viet-Nam 67-70
U,S, Coast Guard Res. 71-05
State Correctional Officer, Max Security Prison 79-05
FOP Chaplain for years 2005, 2007,2008,2010

#8 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

Yes, my title is misleading (can't edit it apparently) and should have been "Many Cracks and Almost Hole In The Front Door"!

So far I've used a small screwdriver and the angled end of a very small allen wrench to force the pieces back into an almost flatness. Next will be the patching, then a metal cover for the area.

My damages likely would not have occurred or been minor if I had not used the very small bumper that concentrated the force.

Attached Thumbnails

• Casita_Door_Crack_2.jpg

Pat and Marilyn

#9 stlek

stlek
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts
  • Local time: 04:43 AM

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

hi patrick,
sorry about your door.i found this at k mart ,it had the tape but i added some in the center of it.i dont know if it will stop the door from cracking but it looks like it will help and i can still use the original door keeper.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2114__Small_.JPG
  • 100_2115__Small_.JPG

steve and kathy wszolek
05 liberty"The White House"

#10 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 02:43 AM
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (stlek @ Jul 12 2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi patrick,
sorry about your door.i found this at k mart ,it had the tape but i added some in the center of it.i dont know if it will stop the door from cracking but it looks like it will help and i can still use the original door keeper.

This is what I use also. Got mine at Walmart, in the hardware isle.

Bob

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#11 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

I plan to patch the cracks as best I can just to seal them, but I don't expect them to disappear so I will be adding a cover. I like the white disks, but I'm thinking of cutting a piece of diamond plate to fit in that area. (I have diamond plate on my generator box on the tongue.) Come back for the results, whatever they may be from the good ideas already provided. Many thanks!

Edited by Patrick M., 12 July 2010 - 08:06 PM.

Pat and Marilyn

#12 DART

DART
  • Casita Club Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (Patrick M. @ Jul 12 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I plan to patch the cracks as best I can just to seal them, but I don't expect them to disappear so I will be adding a cover. I like the white disks, but I'm thinking of cutting a piece of diamond plate to fit in that area. (I have diamond plate on my generator box on the tongue.) Come back for the results, whatever they may be from the good ideas already provided. Many thanks!

You can replace your door for $10.00 from salvage ,or you can get a replacement door from Casita for a little over $100.00. No rivets,no epoxy, no gelcoat to match and it only takes 10 to 20 minutes.

#13 stlek

stlek
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts
  • Local time: 04:43 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

http://www.casitaclu...p...20door&st=0

another door thread from october

steve and kathy wszolek
05 liberty"The White House"

#14 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Local time: 02:43 AM
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Consider either a door or door skin replacement or a piece of fiberglass sheet large enough to cover the hole. You need something that will give and spring back. The diamond plate wont spring back but will dent and may cause more damage than good if the door flies open and hitís the belly band again. It may crack or even break the fiberglass on the belly band or dent the aluminum on the belly band beyond repair. This is not a place for overkill. If it were me I would just use a large plastic disk and call it good, or replace the door.

Bob

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer

#15 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Bob for that insightful advice. I certainly want the belly band protected, so I do think I will start with some flexible cover, like the large disks other people have used, as that indeed may be "good" enough!
Pat and Marilyn