• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GREGEGG

GREGEGG
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

Just looking for some good sites to boon dock in the Southeast Mountains maybe close to the Appalachian Trail or other Scenic area. Any Suggestions?

Greg

#2 pedal

pedal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, backpacking, cycling, watersports, geocaching--and not particularly in that order.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (GREGEGG @ Jun 26 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just looking for some good sites to boon dock in the Southeast Mountains maybe close to the Appalachian Trail or other Scenic area. Any Suggestions?

Greg

Upper Chattahoochee River Campground area -- it's a 5 mile road to the campground and plenty of places to camp on the way there. Road is dirt/gravel. You have lots of options near there with Indian Grave Gap, Andrews Cove Trail and other connecting trails joining the AT.
  • pedal likes this
S2 & The CookieDog

#3 Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort
  • Casita Club Member
  • 350 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 Spirit
  • Interests:cooking,golf,fishing,hiking,

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Tallulah River. Take Perssimon rd. north off of US 76 and look for Tulluah River rd on left. There is more than one campground. Ditto on upper Chatahooche but be very mindfull of bears over there. Lots of encounters in that part of the forest. I had one myself last fall. On the Tulluah River the campsites are right on the river. Then if you need to dump and need some some power ,Moccasin Creek state park is close by on Lake Burton.
  • pedal likes this

#4 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Enota Campground is just 1.4 miles west of the AT in Georgia. Standing Indian Mountain just over the Georgia line in NC has a great campground, but no electric. They have a road just out of the campground that goes up to Standing Indian Mountain on the AT. At Wallace Gap there is also Rainbow Springs Campground off old 64. Susan did a solo hike a few years ago of the entire AT and most of Georgia on the AT had few open views once you reached tree line. She said Blood Mountain had the best views in Georgia but also one of the worst climbs. She said that the Georgia section on the AT was an unforgiving hike with few switchbacks and water sources low. The trail got better in NC with switchbacks and trails that had been maintained. It all depends on how active the AT clubs in each area is about getting out and maintaining the trail. Long Creek Falls just north of USFS 58 had spectacular waterfalls, just south of Hawk Mountain. This area had a good amount of Timber rattlers and lots of bear activity. Hope this helps.
  • SKYTALKER likes this
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#5 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (GREGEGG @ Jun 26 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greg

Greg:

Two suggestions:

Look at THIS site for information on NFS campgrounds.

Even better, at that site on the right there's "You Can Buy" a download of the regional guides which have maps and are easier to navigate. I believe the Southern region download cost about $7.

Here is the cover page for the Chattahoochee National Forest:

The Chattahoochee National Forest, located in northern Georgia, is comprised of about 750,000

acres. The Chattahoochee National Forest is administered as the Chattahoochee-Oconee National

Forests. There are 21 developed campgrounds, 19 of which meet the selection criteria.

The gentle profile of the southern Appalachian Mountains and the highest mountain in Georgia,

Brasstown Bald, dominate the horizon of the Chattahoochee National Forest. Nestled below are

campgrounds conveniently located to offer the camper a wide variety of recreational opportunities.

Visitors to Brasstown Bald enjoy a 360-degree panorama of valleys, lakes, and mountains. You can

choose either to take a van or a half-mile paved hike to the exhibit/observation platform for the

breathtaking views of northern Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Bird and wildlife watchers

will enjoy the Lake Conasauga Songbird Management Area southwest of Brasstown Bald, located

on the Appalachian Flyway. Chattahoochee National Forest is also crisscrossed with more than a

dozen ORV and mountain bike trails.

History can be found at several locations. As Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) buffs, the authors

enjoyed the artifacts found at Pocket campground. A special treat of this campground is the

Confederate Soldier's grave found at a nearby cemetery. And, a visit to the nearby General Store

in Villanow is a step back into history.

It is the variety of hiking trails within the Forest that offer visitors the greatest opportunity to enjoy

Mother Nature. A leisurely hike to Horse Trough Falls, adjacent to the Upper Chattahoochee River

campground, provides the visitor with the opportunity not only to see a spectacular waterfall but

observe the eco-system produced by the dynamic element of water. DeSoto Falls campground offers

its campers two falls with two different views of the falls. The Appalachian Trail (AT) begins, or

ends, within the Chattahoochee National Forest at Springer Mountain. Throughout the Forest are

spurs, or linking trails, to the AT. These short trails provide the beginner or moderate hiker the

opportunity to enjoy the challenges of the AT and return to their home base after a day or so.

The Alpine village of Helen is located near the Upper Chattahoochee River and Andrews Cove

campgrounds. An interesting parallel can be found between Helen and the National Forest. By the

turn of the century, the land that is now the Chattahoochee National Forest was falling into a sad

state through over-use and poor land management techniques. In the 1960's, Helen was falling into

dire economic conditions. Visionaries saw in both the land and town opportunities and possibilities.

Now, both Helen and the Forest have recovered. A visit to Chattahoochee National Forest, with the

Alpine village of Helen, history, spectacular waterfalls, great fishing, magnificent trees and diverse

recreational opportunities, will provide an appreciation of those visionaries and a desire to return.

The same information is in there for the Cherokee NF which also has several campgrounds very near the AT.

Last week, we spent five nights at Roan Mountain State (TN) Park in northeast TN and did a little hiking on the AT. We had planned on spending at least one night in a NF campground, probably Rock Creek, but our water pump went out so we had to stay where we could hook up.

Harold

#6 GREGEGG

GREGEGG
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks all I will print out your suggestions and take a closer look at these locations

#7 jimiller5

jimiller5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 127 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Old Time String Band music, hammered and mountain dulcimer
  • Trailer Name:Camptown

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Dennis Cove in Carter County, TN is in the Cherokee National Forest. The AT goes through the campground and it is located on a trophy trout stream. It is located in Hampton, TN.
  • SKYTALKER likes this

#8 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

Anymore  recommendations?

I am putting together a camping and boon docking list for the Appalachians. I want to spend next summer closer to home, but higher up in elevation and the Appalachians is it!!

• SKYTALKER likes this
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#9 Roundabout

Roundabout
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

What do you mean by Boon docking?  We have hiked the first 132 miles of the AT by camping at Vogel State Park in Georgia and Standing Indian in North Carolina.  To get to several of the gaps on the AT to hike we had to drive miles of gravel roads and saw trailers tucked into places I wouldn't think of towing a trailer.  

Roundabout
Shenandoah Valley, VA
2008 Casita FD
2012 Toyota Sequoia

#10 BOBSMITH

BOBSMITH
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

If you're near Standing Indian campground there is another National Forest campground nearby called Hurricane. Pass Standing Indian and continue up the Forest Service road another couple of miles. Hurricane is--as best I can recall--on both sides of the road. I do know there was some recent work there--maybe they installed a pit toilet. It used to be free, but they may charge a few bucks now. The last time I drove past it a Scamp was parked there in the grassy field. It's just a camping area with not much in the way of improvements, but a great place to boondock. Also, keep in mind that the bear population there is off the scales. The reason my wife and I bought a Casita is that our campsite at Standing Indian was raided in the middle of the night by a bear. That was our last tent-camping night (other than when I go backpacking). My friend had a Casita and suggested that we get one. We did.

• SKYTALKER likes this