Kumho Blowouts -two in a weekend

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pedal

pedal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 PM
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, backpacking, cycling, watersports, geocaching--and not particularly in that order.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

I replaced the tires on my Casita with the Kumho 857s in 2007 and was very happy --until my trip this past weekend - two blowouts within 150 miles of each other - I inspected the tires and checked the air pressure prior to leaving and the first blowout happened within 200 miles. I was driving around 60 MPH and running about 62 PSi. Changed it with the spare and when I arrived at my destination started looking for a replacement - to no avail. Took my chances and started home and within 150 miles, the other side blew. No spare and no comparable replacement available anywhere in the area - so I dropped the trailer, took the blown out spare and traveled to the nearest Wal-Mart, bought a Goodyear Marathon and put it on. - So now, this leaves me with the question - What tire do I go with now? I changed to the Kumho based on recommendations and suggestions from this and other forums. - Do I go back with the Kumho 857s, Goodyear Marathons, or something else? Are there any other alternatives that are recommended?

SS
S2 & The CookieDog

#2 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

I'm curious how your Casita was stored over the winter and how many miles that you had on the tires? Tire problems in my humble opinion are a result of sitting for long periods, being exposed to ultra violet, and of course normal wear and tear. Over/under inflation and trailer weight can also contribute to problems. A rather frustrating experience to be certain. sad.gif I'd be interested in feedback from a "tire professional" that would help all of us.

Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,833 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (pedal @ Jun 15 2010, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I replaced the tires on my Casita with the Kumho 857s in 2007 and was very happy --until my trip this past weekend - two blowouts within 150 miles of each other - I inspected the tires and checked the air pressure prior to leaving and the first blowout happened within 200 miles. I was driving around 60 MPH and running about 62 PSi. Changed it with the spare and when I arrived at my destination started looking for a replacement - to no avail. Took my chances and started home and within 150 miles, the other side blew. No spare and no comparable replacement available anywhere in the area - so I dropped the trailer, took the blown out spare and traveled to the nearest Wal-Mart, bought a Goodyear Marathon and put it on. - So now, this leaves me with the question - What tire do I go with now? I changed to the Kumho based on recommendations and suggestions from this and other forums. - Do I go back with the Kumho 857s, Goodyear Marathons, or something else? Are there any other alternatives that are recommended?

SS

That's not what I want to hear since I'm also a Kumho owner!

Since I certainly don't want your story to be my story anytime soon, do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Were the tires the 205s or the 195s? Can you estimate how many miles you had on the first one when it blew?
Is your Casita stored in the sun or under a shelter? I assume your trailer wasn't overloaded (no bowling balls, anvils, etc.)

I keep mine aired to 62 psi also.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 Don Griffin

Don Griffin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

http://www.discountt...erTireFacts.dos

Please note that the age of a tire is determined by the date code on the side, not the day you had it installed. Google tire date codes to learn more.
I can skin a buck and run a trotline.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Z71 Off Road 4X4
2001 Casita 17LD

#5 pedal

pedal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, backpacking, cycling, watersports, geocaching--and not particularly in that order.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (Robere @ Jun 15 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious how your Casita was stored over the winter and how many miles that you had on the tires? Tire problems in my humble opinion are a result of sitting for long periods, being exposed to ultra violet, and of course normal wear and tear. Over/under inflation and trailer weight can also contribute to problems. A rather frustrating experience to be certain. sad.gif I'd be interested in feedback from a "tire professional" that would help all of us.

Over 3 years, I had approximately 9500-10K total miles on the tires and I camp all year long, so the Casita never sits for longs periods. It also is garaged under a carport with sidewalls with no direct sunlight at all.

S2 & The CookieDog

#6 pedal

pedal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Jun 15 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (pedal @ Jun 15 2010, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SS

That's not what I want to hear since I'm also a Kumho owner!

Since I certainly don't want your story to be my story anytime soon, do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Were the tires the 205s or the 195s? Can you estimate how many miles you had on the first one when it blew?
Is your Casita stored in the sun or under a shelter? I assume your trailer wasn't overloaded (no bowling balls, anvils, etc.)

I keep mine aired to 62 psi also.

Eileen

Hi Eileen,
I had the 205s on it and the manufacture date indicated they were not sitting in a warehouse somewhere before I purchased them. I don't remember the exact date, but it was within 2-3 months of when I purchased them. I keep it garaged under a carport with sidewalls, so no direct sunlights hits it at all. I am a minimalist when it comes to camping, so I can safely say I had minimal weight in the trailer. No water in the tanks, and I had eaten all the food on the trip home, so I didn't even have any of the food weight either. smile.gif

S2 & The CookieDog

#7 Robere

Robere
  • Casita Club Member
  • 91 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' SD HLA
  • Interests:nature, jazz, history, and friendly people

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Sounds as if you are doing all of the right things to prolong tire life and protect your own safety.

I wonder if anyone has had a failed tire analyzed by the manufacturer.

Installing tire inflation sensors might give each of us a bit more peace of mind.

Robere & Jacqueline (aka Pepe & Gigi) with Ella (the Miniature Poodle) & Tibet (the Lhasa Apso).
2012 Toyota 4Runner 4.0 liter V-6 4x4 followed by
"blue note" a 2010 17' SD HLA

#8 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 PM
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Please read my report in the "tire reports" section.

This is exactly what happened to me with the exception that I made it back home without the second blowout/tire failure and there was no actual "blowout".

Three year old Kumho 857
Tires run at 62ish cold
15K ish miles more or less, don't really remember
Casita stored inside
Nothing in holding tanks, water tank had about 5 gal in it
never idle for more than a few weeks over the past 3 years
road speeds usually in the 55 to 65 range, most at about 60ish
no sign of tire issues in pre trip tire inspection
blowout/catastrophic failure problem averted because tires have "Pressure Pro" remote sensors on them

Tread separated inside the Kumho causing a large bubble in the tread area. Some of the steel strands poked through the tire causing the rapid air loss. Lost 15ish pounds between when the pressure sensor alarm went off at 8 lbs below cold inflation value to the time I could get it stopped.

Replaced with 15in Maxxis load range E tires. These run at 80 psi. I've got about 5K miles on them so far. No problems, hold pressure, not much else to say. I really feel that load range D tires should be good enough but in this case more capability doesn't hurt.

Jim

Edited by Jim A, 15 June 2010 - 09:01 AM.

2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#9 Samarai

Samarai
  • Casita Club Member
  • 366 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17'
  • Interests:Travel (RV/Military SpaceA), Metal Detecting, Foreign Language - Japanese

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

I went through a similar scenario with Goodyear Marathons. 5 brand new Marathons and was never able to complete one camping trip without a blowout. After research on tires here - I went with Maxxis tires. Have camped all over central Tx over the last several months without incident. I also keep my tire pressure above 60. Have had to add air to the passenger side 3 times when it dropped below 60. I will stay with Maxxis until they prove me wrong.

Bill, Sweetie, & Mago Chan
Travelin' Texan
2003 Casita 17' SD /'05 Chevy van
White's V3 MD
USAF/USA (CWO) Retired

#10 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

I have approximately 10,000 miles, 2 years, on my 15" MAXXIS tires, very little visible wear ... I cruise around 58 mph, and 65 psi, cold ... I would buy them again, no hesitation, yet ... but, my local Les Schwab tire store has a Chinese-made tire, specifically made for heavy truck trailers ... last Fall, he told me, they are 10-ply, 80psi, load range 'E' tires, about $120 apiece, if I remember right ... I will likely try them next time, and drop pressures to about 70# for a softer ride, then, see how they wear ...

Edited by roadcam, 15 June 2010 - 11:06 AM.

2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#11 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

Wow Pedal
sorry to hear
i run kumhos--so far so good, but only 55 psi and about 60 mph. I hope I don't have the same problem.
I may have missed it---was it tires going in lots of pieces or peeling of tread or bad metal...etc?
best
meanders
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#12 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,791 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

FWIW - In seven years full timing I've had one separation and one bulge in my Goodyear Marathons - not a bad record as far as I'm concerned. I have the low axle so can only use 14" tires, however I do use 215 instead of 205's. Wonder if 10mm makes any difference.
tow speed 58mph max, 50 psi in the tires. I've changed tires about every 2 1/2 years.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#13 roadcam

roadcam
  • Casita Club Member
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2009 FD 17'
  • Interests:my dog 'Sybil', survival in a 17' trailer, photography, computers

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:13 AM

the OLD Goodyear Marathons, of years past, were OK, I had a 30 year old set on an old Airstream, that were still OK ... the Marathons went to hell, when they went to China, for manufacture ... I had the second Casita to be sold with the optional 15" Goodyear Explodathons ... from pickup at the Rice factory, I drove EMPTY, at 55 mph, to a tire store a couple hundred miles up the road, to have my brand-new tires balanced (ALWAYS balance tires !) ... they were both already ruined, with the treads separated, you could see the tire bulges from across the room ... I WOULD NOT ALLOW GOODYEAR MARATHONS TO BE PUT ON MY WHEELBARROW ! ... (I use caps when I get excited, lol) ... do as you will
2009 Casita 17' FD
2008 Ford E-250 Supervan

" if you don't care where you're going, you're never lost - if you don't care when you get there, you're never late "

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hope that everyone is running the all metal valve stems and not the rubber or half metal ones! A bad valve stem can cause damage to the tire which would appear to by the result of the tire failing.

There was an estimate of 30 million bad rubber valve stems being shipped to the US in 2008 ... but even the good rubber stems are rated for a maximum of 60 psi.

http://tinyurl.com/lz3492

Don, spending the night in Riverside RV Park, downtown in North Little Rock, AR

PS: Got at least 30k on my 3 year 9 month old 205 Kumhos before cutting the sidewall of one on some road hazard stuff late last Saturday. With no time to replace it on Sunday before leaving on this trip I am using the 4 year old Goodyear Marathons that were OEM stuff - just took them off of my little utility trailer, had metal stems installed, balanced and am on the road. Running them at 55 psi, holding speed down to 60 and thinking lots of good thoughts. After the solid Kumhos, these look and feel very soft and squishy - wish me luck.

Don & Sherian, 2013 Ford F150, 4.0 V6, Crew Cab
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go)

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

Good luck Don!!!
we also have metal stems and balanced the tires; and lower speeds and pressure (60ish and 55, respectively)
meanders smile.gif
meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338