8 replies to this topic

#1 texal

texal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 09:48 PM
  • Interests:2008 17' SD

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

We'd appreciate your thoughts on this. We want to cool off for a little while.

1. Would we be crazy to plan on heading for the Red River area next week (June 21 or so)? Will it be too crowded to get a good campsite?

2. If not, any recommendations for campgrounds, public or private?

We will probably have just 4-5 days to spend there, and if we stay in a campground without hookups for two or three nights we usually like to hook up for a night before heading back to Central Texas.

Thanks!

#2 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

Near Taos & Red River: But...at 8,000 feet, Cimarron Canyon State Park is "Set in New Mexico's high country, where spectacular palisade cliffs and clear running waters dominate the landscape, Cimarron Canyon State Park is part of the 33,116-acre Colin Neblett Wildlife Area -- the largest wildlife area in the state. Elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse attract hunters in the fall and winter. Wildlife viewing is plentiful as songbirds, elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse call the park home."
There is a small river (something about like a creek back east-but we are out west) close to the campsites.

Eagle Nest State Park has a new small campgound, no electric, etc. Not sure how near the lake. Has the elevation, 8,300', but not forested by the lake. Lots of forest around the area.

Fenton Lake State Park is surrounded by beautiful ponderosa pine forests, but is a small lake and not full hookups of course. And not real close to Taos or Santa Fe.

I only did a drive by Red River from Taos to Eagle Nest once.
However, I see there are several Carson Nat'l Campgrounds near Red River, such as Fawn Lakes campground meanders up a hillside with several sites featuring stone terracing under a mixture of Ponderosa
pine, aspen, fir and spruce. It is convenient to State Rt. 38
and well situated for day trips on the Enchanted Circle and the
town of Red River. The Red River is across the road from
campground.

Also June Bug campground, elevation 8,500 ft. The campground stretches along the fast-flowing Red River withseveral waterfront sites. It is convenient to State Rt. 38 and well situated for day trips on the Enchanted Circle and the town of Red River. The sound of the Red River can be heard throughout the campground. Sites 9 through 12 are very rocky making it a challenge for tent campers to find a smooth spot. The campground is dominated by mature spruce with a mixture of cottonwoods, fir and conifers. This is bear country; practice safe food storage techniques. Both sound neat, see more info at this link.
Campgrounds

Columbine Campground is near Questa on the road to Red River, take State Rt. 38 east 3.9 miles to campground. The elevation is 7,900 ft. The campground is composed of two loops. One very small loop has
all open sites and is nice for large gatherings. The other is a
large long loop among pine, spruce and some aspen that follows
Columbine Creek. The sound of the creek can be heard throughout
the campground. This is bear country; practice safe food storage
techniques.

Elephant Rock campground stretches out along the Red River with a lot of waterfront sites. It is convenient to State Rt. 38 and day trips
on the Enchanted Circle and the town of Red River. The sound of
the river can be heard throughout the campground. Ponderosa pine
dominates the campground with a mixture of fir and spruce. The
understory is grass and open which limits privacy between sites.
The nearby Fawn Lake (3 acres) offers fishing only. Sites 8
through 10 are tent only. This is bear country; practice safe
food protection techniques. It is west of Red River. Campgrounds

If you are looking for an RV Resort type campground, I can not help on those. I try to stay away from those. Only as a last resort, ha!

This site has reviews of both kinds near Red River, which isn't tooo far from Taos. Reviews
EagleNest Reviews
Taos
Near Costilla, NM
Ojo Caliente Resort & Spa - RV Park

Edited by DesertHawk, 14 June 2010 - 12:28 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Great information, DesertHawk - I'm tempted to skip Montana this year (tired of long distance driving I guess) and may spend the rest of the summer in northern New Mexico visiting some of the places you mention. Heron Lake is a favorite, chance to put the kayak back in the water in a no-wake lake. And Cimarron Canyon is definitely on my list.

Helps that my NM annual state park pass is valid until end of August..

Keep the valuable information coming. You're good at it smile.gif

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thanks, Dutchman! We had used Heron to summer for several years. Might as well take advantage of your annal pass. Heron Lake State Park near Chima.

And MountainBorn is a camp host just above Chima as well. http://mountainborn.blogspot.com/ At Trujillo Meadows Campground, Rio Grande National Forest, Conejos District.

More info on Heron & other places Camping in NM
RV Reviews by Tierra Amarilla

Edited by DesertHawk, 14 June 2010 - 04:57 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Jun 14 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Dutchman! We had used Heron to summer for several years. Might as well take advantage of your annal pass. Heron Lake State Park near Chama.

Kathi Jennings, Jerry (GrizzlyJerry) and I met up at Heron Lake last year and we absolutely loved it. Nice too that you can make reservations. The campground was quiet and spacious. We also enjoyed the scenic train from Chama NM to Antonito CO that included a delicious buffet lunch at Osier. Spectacular scenery.

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#6 texal

texal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Jun 15 2010, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Jun 14 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Dutchman! We had used Heron to summer for several years. Might as well take advantage of your annal pass. Heron Lake State Park near Chama.

Kathi Jennings, Jerry (GrizzlyJerry) and I met up at Heron Lake last year and we absolutely loved it. Nice too that you can make reservations. The campground was quiet and spacious. We also enjoyed the scenic train from Chama NM to Antonito CO that included a delicious buffet lunch at Osier. Spectacular scenery.

Eileen

#7 texal

texal
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the good information, DesertHawk!

I'm still not sure we'll try to pull this off next week. We're still looking for a "window" later in the summer--between grandkids' visits and other commitments--when we'll have more time to explore up the Chama direction, etc. I hate to drive long days just to spend a few nights and then turn back!

Heron Lake sounds really nice, and we've never been beyond Abiquiu before.

#8 tommybhd

tommybhd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Jun 14 2010, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Near Taos & Red River: But...at 8,000 feet, Cimarron Canyon State Park is "Set in New Mexico's high country, where spectacular palisade cliffs and clear running waters dominate the landscape, Cimarron Canyon State Park is part of the 33,116-acre Colin Neblett Wildlife Area -- the largest wildlife area in the state. Elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse attract hunters in the fall and winter. Wildlife viewing is plentiful as songbirds, elk, deer, bear, turkey and grouse call the park home."
There is a small river (something about like a creek back east-but we are out west) close to the campsites.

Eagle Nest State Park has a new small campgound, no electric, etc. Not sure how near the lake. Has the elevation, 8,300', but not forested by the lake. Lots of forest around the area.

Fenton Lake State Park is surrounded by beautiful ponderosa pine forests, but is a small lake and not full hookups of course. And not real close to Taos or Santa Fe.

I only did a drive by Red River from Taos to Eagle Nest once.
However, I see there are several Carson Nat'l Campgrounds near Red River, such as Fawn Lakes campground meanders up a hillside with several sites featuring stone terracing under a mixture of Ponderosa
pine, aspen, fir and spruce. It is convenient to State Rt. 38
and well situated for day trips on the Enchanted Circle and the
town of Red River. The Red River is across the road from
campground.

Also June Bug campground, elevation 8,500 ft. The campground stretches along the fast-flowing Red River withseveral waterfront sites. It is convenient to State Rt. 38 and well situated for day trips on the Enchanted Circle and the town of Red River. The sound of the Red River can be heard throughout the campground. Sites 9 through 12 are very rocky making it a challenge for tent campers to find a smooth spot. The campground is dominated by mature spruce with a mixture of cottonwoods, fir and conifers. This is bear country; practice safe food storage techniques. Both sound neat, see more info at this link.
Campgrounds

Columbine Campground is near Questa on the road to Red River, take State Rt. 38 east 3.9 miles to campground. The elevation is 7,900 ft. The campground is composed of two loops. One very small loop has
all open sites and is nice for large gatherings. The other is a
large long loop among pine, spruce and some aspen that follows
Columbine Creek. The sound of the creek can be heard throughout
the campground. This is bear country; practice safe food storage
techniques.

Elephant Rock campground stretches out along the Red River with a lot of waterfront sites. It is convenient to State Rt. 38 and day trips
on the Enchanted Circle and the town of Red River. The sound of
the river can be heard throughout the campground. Ponderosa pine
dominates the campground with a mixture of fir and spruce. The
understory is grass and open which limits privacy between sites.
The nearby Fawn Lake (3 acres) offers fishing only. Sites 8
through 10 are tent only. This is bear country; practice safe
food protection techniques. It is west of Red River. Campgrounds

If you are looking for an RV Resort type campground, I can not help on those. I try to stay away from those. Only as a last resort, ha!

This site has reviews of both kinds near Red River, which isn't tooo far from Taos. Reviews
EagleNest Reviews
Taos
Near Costilla, NM
Ojo Caliente Resort & Spa - RV Park

#9 troy&donna

troy&donna
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, garden & ranching activities, hunting/trapping, fishing, law enforcement ,small woodcrafts, tradeday shopping. My wife does all the above activities also sews and does arts & crafts.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (texal @ Jun 14 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'd appreciate your thoughts on this. We want to cool off for a little while.

1. Would we be crazy to plan on heading for the Red River area next week (June 21 or so)? Will it be too crowded to get a good campsite?

2. If not, any recommendations for campgrounds, public or private?

We will probably have just 4-5 days to spend there, and if we stay in a campground without hookups for two or three nights we usually like to hook up for a night before heading back to Central Texas.

Thanks!

The Roadrunner RV Park in Red River is a private park, but has full hookups and nice restrooms with showers. River flows through campground and mule deer were right outside our Casita. We Stayed there for a night and the went up to Colorado to ride the Narrow Gauge Steam Engine and Train that goes from Silverton to Durango. Was a great trip in late September during the leaves changing color. Troy