• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

I wish I had been able to get a picture of this rig, Friday (May 21st) around 4:45 PM. There was a large group of Vintage VW's and the first one I saw was a Bus towing a 13 ft Scamp. I know there was at least one other Bus and a bunch of Bugs following. We were West bound towing our Casita with our Mercedes Sprinter 2500 van. We were on I-70 (the Kansas Turnpike) between Kansas City and Lawrence, Ks. I bet that Bus didn't have the stock engine.

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#2 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

I bet that Bus didn't have the stock engine.

based on my experience with the "staff car of the last american revolution" (lived in, traveled in, camped in several of them) the engine wasn't the only non stock component necessary to allow yanking around a 13' trailer. i can't imagine several hundred pounds of tongue weight on a bus...i'm surprised it wasn't doin' wheelies!

p@
"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#3 Swisstrip02

Swisstrip02
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Local time: 06:35 PM

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

Mercedes "Sprinter" ?????? That looks suspiciously like a Dodge Sprinter. One and the same?

Mike

#4 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Swisstrip02 @ May 26 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mercedes "Sprinter" ?????? That looks suspiciously like a Dodge Sprinter. One and the same?

Mike

One and the same, built by Mercedes in Germany and labeled Dodge and Freightliner in the US, everywhere else, Mercedes. For 2010 they are all Mercedes. Great van, poorly marketed.

IMG_2969.jpg

#5 f_stop

f_stop
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:16' spirit deluxe

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

One and the same, built by Mercedes in Germany and labeled Dodge and Freightliner in the US, everywhere else, Mercedes. For 2010 they are all Mercedes. Great van, poorly marketed.

ummm... i think there's a very large plant in alabama that screws these things together. south carolina was in the running as a location for this plant early on, but, alas our governor was way too *involved* with important matters in south america to participate in efforts to lure this plum to the palmetto state. anyway... this amazing vehicle is built in many locations around the world and sold under several badges. the important thing is that they are all built with benz engineering. a couple of years ago i managed to convince my dad (at age 89) that he should get rid of that 42' pusher he was crusin' the freeways in for a smaller rig. i steered him toward a 24' on the sprinter platform (sorry, i don't remember the brand name) and we've both been very impressed. the very first trip out he & i went to the bayous on the gulf near new orleans (sadly, perhaps the last time i'll see them as they were) and we averaged a bit over 17mpg even with all the amenities, slide out, etc...

p@

"peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
kurt vonnegut, the sirens of titan

#6 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (f_stop @ May 26 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ummm... i think there's a very large plant in alabama that screws these things together. south carolina was in the running as a location for this plant early on, but, alas our governor was way too *involved* with important matters in south america to participate in efforts to lure this plum to the palmetto state. anyway... this amazing vehicle is built in many locations around the world and sold under several badges. the important thing is that they are all built with benz engineering. a couple of years ago i managed to convince my dad (at age 89) that he should get rid of that 42' pusher he was crusin' the freeways in for a smaller rig. i steered him toward a 24' on the sprinter platform (sorry, i don't remember the brand name) and we've both been very impressed. the very first trip out he & i went to the bayous on the gulf near new orleans (sadly, perhaps the last time i'll see them as they were) and we averaged a bit over 17mpg even with all the amenities, slide out, etc...

p@

Mine is a Passenger Wagon and they come over fully assembled. The panel vans come over partially assembled and were finished here. I use a wheelchair and have mine set up with a lift on the side. Great mileage, I average right at 22 mpg. Pulling the Casita and keeping it at 60 or less, I can get 20 mpg, 17 if I'm pushing a head wind.

IMG_2969.jpg