• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,849 posts
  • Local time: 04:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

huh.gif How water tight are the hard sided Aliner Folding Trailers? Seems like their are some on this forum who have them. We will be going to Yellowstone in June along with our daughter and her husband. They will be renting an Aliner for the trip. Just curious as to how they handle rain?

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#2 Numbers

Numbers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 PM
  • Interests:Hiking, photography, birding, music

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

We had one for several years when we lived in Oregon. Ours handled the rain just fine.

The only spot we really had to watch was the four corners where the roof panels meet the sides. There is a coiled spring in that corner which helps lift the roof. There is a hole there to the outside that is covered by a rubberized flap. Sometimes the flap moves or slides out of position. A driving rain has the potential to get in there.

You also need to make sure you seat the two roof panels against each other properly to get a snug fit.

We towed the thing in rain, camped in rain, etc.

2010 17' LD "Just an Oeuf"
1999 Suburban K1500

#3 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ May 4 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh.gif How water tight are the hard sided Aliner Folding Trailers? Seems like their are some on this forum who have them. We will be going to Yellowstone in June along with our daughter and her husband. They will be renting an Aliner for the trip. Just curious as to how they handle rain?

You'll be going into bear country. Make certain the park will accept a folding trailer or you might be turned away for your own safety.

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,742 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

I believe the criteria for trailers in bear country is whether they are hard sided, as an A-liner, or soft sided, like a typical tent trailer.

Of course, one can always call ahead to a Ranger/visitor center and inquire.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#5 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

I've been to Yellowstone more than once on motorcycle and stayed in a tent. I didn't know they excluded soft sided campers. While tent camping, they require that you lock up food and toiletries in a bear-safe box (provided) at night and when the campsite is unattended.

Yellowstone may have some campgrounds which exclude tents or soft sided campers, but I haven't come across them yet.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper............the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Retirement is getting up in the morning with absolutely nothing to do, and going to bed at night with half of it done.

#6 Numbers

Numbers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 PM
  • Interests:Hiking, photography, birding, music

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Our Aliner was considered a hard sided trailer when we went to Yellowstone. No problems getting a site, and we did not have to use bear lockers.
2010 17' LD "Just an Oeuf"
1999 Suburban K1500

#7 dab

dab
  • Casita Club Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Fishing Bridge is hard sided campers only. I think it's the only campground that has that requirement.

We keep all cooking gear in the Jeep and all food (mostly dry, like pasta, cereals, etc.) inside the trailer. The cook stove retains food smell and we don't use a barbecue. The wife saw a full adult grizzly bear saunter through Canyon campground in the middle of the day, so the food and waste water disposal regulations are well founded. Bears have a very adept sense of smell.

All of Yellowstone is bear country, and we've seen bears in the Tower Fall campground area as well. Keep a clean campsite and follow the regulations and you'll coexist nicely with all your neighbors!

Dave
Boise, ID

#8 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (dab @ May 4 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fishing Bridge is hard sided campers only. I think it's the only campground that has that requirement.

We keep all cooking gear in the Jeep and all food (mostly dry, like pasta, cereals, etc.) inside the trailer. The cook stove retains food smell and we don't use a barbecue. The wife saw a full adult grizzly bear saunter through Canyon campground in the middle of the day, so the food and waste water disposal regulations are well founded. Bears have a very adept sense of smell.

All of Yellowstone is bear country, and we've seen bears in the Tower Fall campground area as well. Keep a clean campsite and follow the regulations and you'll coexist nicely with all your neighbors!

Dave
Boise, ID

Dave, what would you suggest if in an Aliner with an ice chest instead of a frig, should it not be used while in the Park? It is a built in unit. Thinking of taking an ice chest which could be put in the SUV or back of my pickup cap/shell or even into a bear box. Would this be advisable?

We were in Yellowstone last Aug and had neighbors in tent trailers and in tents as well as the other two times we have been there. From what I have read, only Fishing Bridge is hard sided RV only. Mainly to keep the riffraff away from the big boys than due to bear danger. Ha!

Edited by DesertHawk, 04 May 2010 - 09:51 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#9 weavejd

weavejd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, running, bicycling

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:08 AM

We've had an Aliner Sport for almost 10 years and have camped in some pretty wicked rain storms. We've never had any issues with leaks. I finally had to replace the weather stripping in it this spring because it was starting to deteriorate and so might have begun leaking. But now we're selling it 'cause we're buying the Casita. biggrin.gif
Dave & Kathy
"Given a choice, it's better to wear out than rust out" - Dr. Francis D. O'Connor
2008 FJ Cruiser
2010 Casita 17' FD - "Huevo Duro"
Our website
Retired!

#10 dab

dab
  • Casita Club Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ May 4 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (dab @ May 4 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave
Boise, ID

Dave, what would you suggest if in an Aliner with an ice chest instead of a frig, should it not be used while in the Park? It is a built in unit. Thinking of taking an ice chest which could be put in the SUV or back of my pickup cap/shell or even into a bear box. Would this be advisable?

We were in Yellowstone last Aug and had neighbors in tent trailers and in tents as well as the other two times we have been there. From what I have read, only Fishing Bridge is hard sided RV only. Mainly to keep the riffraff away from the big boys than due to bear danger. Ha!

I keep food in the fridge in the Casita, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the icebox seals tight. My understanding of the purpose of keeping a clean camp is to ensure that bears don't find food in campgrounds and associate humans with a source of food. That includes managing waste water, specific rules for disposing of it (e.g. the water you just cooked a big pasta dish in). We're quite cautious with storing food and cookware.

Dave
Boise, ID