The Only Dumb Question...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RadioBob

RadioBob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 76 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 PM
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Shortwave, GMRS, reading, politics, traveling, and of course...CAMPING!
  • Casita Club Directory #:1382

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

After reading about a zillion posts about tires, tire wear, blowouts, shredded tires, Korean tires, dry-rotted tires, blistered tires, tires with slipping belts, etc. and needing to get a couple of new tires myself, I realized that I {a} have never changed a tire on my egg, and {b} really don't know how I'd jack the sucker up!

So, my question is: How do you jack up your Casita? I mean, do you use your tow vehicle's jack, have a separate trailer-only jack, or what? My Spirit Deluxe is a high rise model and I know for sure that my nifty el cheapo floor jack won't go high enough.

And, while we're on the subject, if I were to order a couple of say, Kumhos, off the 'net and have 'em shipped, would I then tow my trailer to my friendly neighborhood tire merchant so they could swap out the ever-popular Marathons with the new tires that they would mount, or would I jack the egg up and haul the old tires in one at a time?

I know these may sound like silly questions, but I really want to know!

Edited by RadioBob, 20 April 2010 - 07:21 PM.

Bob Dunn - River Ridge (near New Orleans), LA
Amateur Radio K5IQ
General Mobile Radio Service WPXA535

2004 17' Spirit Deluxe "Gawn Pecawn"
2009 Ford F-150 STX

Casita Club 1382

#2 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 09:18 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (RadioBob @ Apr 20 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, my question is: How do you jack up your Casita? I mean, do you use your tow vehicle's jack, have a separate trailer-only jack, or what? My Spirit Deluxe is a high rise model and I know for sure that my nifty el cheapo floor jack won't go high enough.

And, while we're on the subject, if I were to order a couple of say, Kumhos, off the 'net and have 'em shipped, would I then tow my trailer to my friendly neighborhood tire merchant so they could swap out the ever-popular Marathons with the new tires that they would mount, or would I jack the egg up and haul the old tires in one at a time?

I know these may sound like silly questions, but I really want to know!

Hardly a dumb question...especially since it involves safety issues.

First, your Casita should be jacked up under the frame, NOT the axle.

You have to take into consideration that the trailer will be sitting on the rim when you do the changing, so choose your jack accordingly. I don't believe that having a high-lift axle makes any difference.

It's safer to change the tire while you're hooked up, but it can be done either way. If you're not hooked up, just be sure your trailer is secured first.

You can go to your neighborhood tire center and have them order the tires for you (at no extra cost) so they can be delivered to their facility. When they arrive, you can take your trailer there to have them BALANCE the tires, install METAL stems, and mount the tires. Be sure to tell the technician to jack up the trailer under the frame! And don't leave there without your old Goodyears. They can fetch around $50-$60 on Craigslist. Boat trailer owners love 'em.

Or, you can order the tires yourself, have them delivered to your home or to the tire store (assuming you've given them notice to expect them), jack up the trailer on both sides, remove all of the tires* and head over to your local tire dealer. The benefit of this method is that it'll give you a chance to try out your jack(s).

* Order THREE Kumhos and switch out the spare, too. When you rotate your tires (some do this every 5,000 miles), include the spare.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 21 April 2010 - 02:50 AM.

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#3 Dick & Kim Smith

Dick & Kim Smith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2854

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:05 AM

I'll throw my 2 cent's worth in since I've just been through this process.

I ordered 3 Kumho 857 195R14C's from Tire Rack. They cost $315.38 delivered to my front porch by UPS. I took the wheels off my trailer and to a local service station. They mounted with metal valve stems and balanced all three for $56.44. So the total cost was $371.82. But it would not cost anymore to take the trailer to them and they can remove and reinstall the wheels on the trailer. Of course you would not get the jack test and practice of changing your own that way.

A word of caution here: I specified metal valve stems and what I got was partial metal valve stems. They are not the type that has a nut on the inside of the wheel. They have a metal stem but a pull through rubber bottom. I hope they work out. Obviously you should be more specific than I was.

I checked with a couple local tire shops about ordering the tires for me. One said $150 plus extra charges for the metal valve stems and balancing and the other was $158. So there is a substantial savings using the Tire Rack. Their service has been great too. I received my tires in just 2 days and just got them on the trailer yesterday.

I intend to rotate the spare as suggested in the previous post. The tires I just took off the trailer included a spare that had never been on the ground; seems like wasting a good tire to me. The previous owner started that pattern but I have to admit I continued it. I do plan to throw that old (brand new) Trailer King tire in the back of the truck unmounted as an emergency spare.

I use a bottle jack for the trailer. And yes I tested it yesterday to make sure it still works. I think it is short enough that it will fit under the frame even with a flat. But just in case I plan to carry a jack stand that I can use to support a partial lift with the jack that would then let me reposition the jack for a full flat tire lift if needed. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple pieces of 2X6 to give you some flexibility on reach and stability.

One last comment. I struggled with the decision to order the 195's or the 205's. Some on the forum said the 205's fit with no problem. Others said that depending on where the axle is mounted (apparently there is some variation) the front clearance can be a problem. I had about a 1 1/2" clearance at the front of the old tires. Since the 205's would have been an inch larger diameter than the tires already on the trailer; that would have cut my clearance to 1". After getting the 195's on the trailer I found I now have clearance of a little over 1 1/2". I think I now agree that the 205's would not have been a problem. I'm too much of a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy sometimes.
Dick & Kim Smith
Manhattan, Kansas
2013 APEX 258RKS
2007 GMC Sierra

#4 WestieMom

WestieMom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 304 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 PM
  • Interests:Westies: EarthDog, Obedience, Rally-O, Tracking, Agility Earthdog & BarnHunt Judge AutoHarp: Newbie Orienteering: Map & Compass Sport (Hiatus while concentrating on Dog Sports), Rug Hooking Newbie

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:20 PM

When I replaced the tires, I too got the metal stems. I jacked the trailer with my car jack (it worked fine) and took one tire and the spare to the shop to replace & balance. Brought them home, put one on, jacked up the other side, replaced that and took the old one back to the shop for replacement and put it on the back for the spare. It would have been too difficult to get the trailer in the small driveway space (already half full of cars) at the shop. Then, I was able to put them on and torque the nuts correctly the first time. Gotta love that Gorilla wrench.
WestieMom in MA
Re-homed 2005 FD 17' Salty Dog
2001 Dodge Conversion Van - seriously crappy engine
2003 Ford E150 Van - Seriously Scrappy Engine

#5 RadioBob

RadioBob
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 76 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 PM
  • Interests:Ham Radio, Shortwave, GMRS, reading, politics, traveling, and of course...CAMPING!
  • Casita Club Directory #:1382

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

Thanks, all, for the information! I was thinking about just getting a separate jack for the Casita and sticking it in one of the under-seat cargo bins. But, I'm still torn as to whether I'll hook up and tow to a tire shop or just do the tire changes myself. There's merit to both approaches.

It's a shame that I have to change the tires at all--they probably have a grand total of about 1500 miles on 'em, but they've been on for about 6 years and most of that time the trailer has been parked in the driveway with the tires exposed to the sun, plus as I mentioned before, they're the ever-so-popular Marathons.

When we bought the Casita, we never intended for it to be mothballed so long, but that little Katrina thing we had kinda messed things up, plus the career changes, etc., etc., and, well...it's time to get rolling again!
Bob Dunn - River Ridge (near New Orleans), LA
Amateur Radio K5IQ
General Mobile Radio Service WPXA535

2004 17' Spirit Deluxe "Gawn Pecawn"
2009 Ford F-150 STX

Casita Club 1382

#6 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:12 AM

Yep, unfortunately, six years is a long time for any tire to sit. I wouldn't trust 'em on the road either.

The only reason I ordered the 195s is because the 205s were out of stock at that time. Otherwise, I would have gotten those.

I took my Casita and tires to Discount Tire and they did everything I mentioned for less than $70. They did question my choice of new tires since, technically, I should have been putting on STs. I explained that I knew what I was doing -- just put the tires on, please.

Glad you're able to get back out there camping again. Sounds like you deserve a good bit of relaxation after some trying times.

Eileen
  • Zanzibar likes this
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#7 losangeles

losangeles
  • Casita Club Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:54 AM

any new models of tire I should be considering? 

thanks. 

#8 C.FiberglassFreedom

C.FiberglassFreedom
  • Casita Club Member
  • 253 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD, 17

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:49 AM

So what would someone suggest for 15inch high axle.   I definitely wish to swap out the old tires now and would love some input what I've read always seems to lead with Kumho