• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

I went to Lowe's and Menard's looking for something sticky to use to hang a curtain over that small bathroom window.

I bought a roll of sticky magnet and thought it might work but I used it on my computer desk at home to mount my router away from the cable tangle and the sticky side wasnt very sticky at all. I ended up having to use some glue to make it stick.

I'd be interested in knowing what innovative ideas people have come up with to cover up the window so that it can be open while showering. Its also apparent the glass glaze doesnt give much privacy when the window is closed.

Also its hard to find a prefabricated curtain material that small. Maybe someone has found something.

Hope to hear from you.
James in Ohio
2006 Casita 17' LD, High Lift Axle, all add ons 'cept electric jack, Front Air
2003 GMC Safari

#2 BobandEileen

BobandEileen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Irishrover @ Apr 15 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to Lowe's and Menard's looking for something sticky to use to hang a curtain over that small bathroom window.

I bought a roll of sticky magnet and thought it might work but I used it on my computer desk at home to mount my router away from the cable tangle and the sticky side wasnt very sticky at all. I ended up having to use some glue to make it stick.

I'd be interested in knowing what innovative ideas people have come up with to cover up the window so that it can be open while showering. Its also apparent the glass glaze doesnt give much privacy when the window is closed.

Also its hard to find a prefabricated curtain material that small. Maybe someone has found something.

Hope to hear from you.

#3 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 334 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

I bought some of those small white plastic adhesive backed hooks at Lowes. (the more permanent type)
We had tried the suction cups, cheap kind first.
Then the more expensive type that you have to stick on and then fold down to lock in place.
Both kind would be on the floor at the end of the day.
I think the heat and humidity down here is the reason they didn't work for us.

I sewed a small curtain to fit the plastic hooks.
On the curtain I made a rectangle shapped button hole in each corner of the curtain.
The top just hooks on each hook, and if we want to raise the curtain half up to let some air in, we lift the bottom of the curtain and hook the bottom set of button holes over the hook.
If we want to let in more light, we just remove the curtain easily.
Like for when were through showering and want to open the window and turn on the vent.

If you can't find someone to sew you a curtain, you might try a kitchen towel. and some grommets or the new clip on curtain rings they sell now.

I also removed the old fiberglass screen, saving the spline, and replaced the screen with some dark solar screen and the old spline.
Note; I tried to do the screen replacement with the window in place but had to end up removing the window to do it.
When you remove the screws on the inside and try to push the new screen into place the whole window frame starts to push out.
The window is not caulked in place.
It just has a rubber gasket that seals the window, so it is easy to remove with the help of someone on the outside to catch the window while you unscrew it from the inside.

We also have some of those bigger stick on hooks around the top of the bathroom, to hang a shower curtain to keep water off the toilet area. No one can really see in anyway.

We use some of the bigger hooks on the front wall of the bathroom, just above the little shower pan lip to hang our shower shoes to dry.
(Some times we use the campground showers , so rubber type slip ons are a must.)
The hooks have stayed in place for a few years now, even with the weight of the shoes on them going down the road. They do a good job of keeping our shoes off the bathroom floor.
I added a picture of the shoe hooks to my pic link below. it should be the first pict. to come up.

Angie

Edited by The Goose Egg, 15 April 2010 - 01:44 PM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#4 BobandEileen

BobandEileen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:42 PM

We had some of those clear suction cups with a hook on each (Camping World?, dollar store?) & put one on either side of the top of the window then made a curtain out of a smallish dishtowel. On the towel I sewed a small cord loop at each of the four corners and hooked over the hooks. The lower loops are used only when we want to open the window for more air & just fold it up & loop them over the same hooks.

Note: we do not use the shower. If you use the shower, you may want something in a less absorbent cloth.

#5 jgreene.rn

jgreene.rn
  • Casita Club Member
  • 229 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17sd

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

I feel the glass is ample. If you want to look, look. It's your eyes.................................

#6 Alan #1119

Alan #1119
  • Casita Club Member
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

We took a piece of a fabric shower curtain with the hanging grommets and hung them on the small 3M hooks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bath_window_curtain.jpg

Alan #1119

'02 17' SD
'05 GMC Sierra

Dallas, TX

#7 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

r u kidding?

#8 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:46 AM

Not the prettiest but we have some fabric that gets pinched between the screws on the frame and a few magnets. Fabric is actually some white sunblock material.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#9 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Thank you all for the great answers.
James in Ohio
2006 Casita 17' LD, High Lift Axle, all add ons 'cept electric jack, Front Air
2003 GMC Safari

#10 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 192 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

I used the sticky back velco around the window and used the sew on type on the frabic of my curtains.

Karan and Dann
16'FD, Snowball
and CoCo too

#11 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,773 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:49 AM

Sunscreen, rather than solid, fabric for the bathroom window allows the room to ventilate (without running the noisy fan) and will still provide privacy.

I've never done a field test on this, but me thinks that unless your neighbors are walking right next to your trailer, it's a long shot that they can see into your bathroom, unless it's nighttime and the light is on.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#12 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Guys vs Gals

I have decided that this is yet another sex-linked difference between the guys and the gals, particularly as it applies to solos. Think also of the concern about the gap below the blinds or curtains on the windows of our Casitas. I have found that the ladies are often concerned about "Peeping Toms" (It just occurred to me that this is not only Historical, but sexist) while the gentlemen often consider it a simple form of advertising.

Choose whatever makes you comfortable. Just please don't waste time trying to make it logical.

Lane and Phoebe, the Poodle Girl who has found that Grooming Salons are generally staffed with ladies like herself.

Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#13 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

My experience has been that it really makes no difference why the PIC wants something only that if I can make it happen 'life is good'!

I used a piece of plexiglass, some suction cups and a dab of paint - problem solved! Later I changed out the suction cups for some screws with spacers and attached it to the window frame. We do not remove the cover when traveling or showering.

See the entire mod at:
http://tinyurl.com/y64c7dk

090_Test_fit_looks_good.jpg 100_A_little_paint.jpg 110_Window_open_but_no_peep_show.jpg

Don

Don & Sherian, 2013 Ford F150, 4.0 V6, Crew Cab
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go)

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#14 Buddy & Patty

Buddy & Patty
  • Casita Club Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

We brought the bathroom window curtain from CAgal, Diane, this month at the Green Egg and Ham rally in Camden, AL. It works great and looks very nice and professional and she even installed it. She is not only smart, but a really nice lady.

Patty

#15 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Larry and Debbie Gamble have designed a beautiful bathroom window cover. http://www.littlehousecustoms.com/

Posted Image

Edited by RX, 31 March 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades
Sunsahde items now made in Blue-Gray
http://community.web.../user/casitamom