Dick & Kim Smith
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2854

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:37 AM

I received this from Walt in a personal message:

I JUST BOUGHT MY SECOND SET OF KUMHO 857 TIRES FROM TIRE RACK. ON EACH OF THE TRAILERS I USED THE 205/75/14. SETS WERE PUT ON SEPERATE CASITAS. HAD BLOWOUTS ON THE CASITA FACTORY TIRES. ONE CASITA DID NOT HAVE THE HIGH LIFT AXLE. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH BEING TOO LARGE FOR THE SPACE. THE CASITA I NOW OWN HAS THE HIGH LIFT AXLE. CAN'T TELL ANY DIFFERENCE. I WILL GO FOR THE SAME 205's IF I EVER WEAR THIS SET OUT. TIRE RACK IS A GREAT PLACE TO GET THEM FROM. RECEIVED MY SET IN 3 DAYS. JUST IN TIME TO GET THEM ON RIM, BALANCED AND ON THE CASITA FOR THE TRIP TO BANDERA RALLY. ( YOU CAN POST THIS IF YOU WANT, I JUST CAN NOT FIND A WAY TO POST IT TO YOUR QUESTION) WALT

I'm putting the 195's on today so I'll be able to report how much room I end up with.

Dick & Kim Smith
Manhattan, Kansas
2013 APEX 258RKS
2007 GMC Sierra

#17 Richard S

Richard S
  • Casita Club Member
  • 137 posts
  • Local time: 08:41 AM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

When the Kumho 857's were out of stock a few years ago I bought 2 Continental Vanco 8 205/75 14 tires. They are commercial tires in D load range. In the past I have used the Michelin XCA (which was discontinued) and the Kumho 857. The Continental tires have a tread pattern similar to a car tire and seem to have better traction on wet roads.

#18 Dick & Kim Smith

Dick & Kim Smith
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 10:41 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2854

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

I got back from my trip late Tuesday evening. I put 5790 miles on the Kumhos with no problems. I kept 60+ lbs in the tires but it was hard to say exactly with the many temperature and elevation changes I was going through. I finally quit checking so often because I think I was bleeding a little pressure off with each check. I only added air one time during the trip and that was about 5 lbs.

My GMC Canyon averaged 17.1 mpg for the whole trip with maybe 300 to 400 non-towing miles out of the 5790.

Great trip overall. I spotted several single Casitas out on the road and ran into a whole plague of them at Capitol Reef NP. Turned out ArizonaEileen was leading a caravan of 16 or so through the southern Utah parks at the time. I managed to sneak into the NP campground with them the second night I was there and visited with a few of them. It looked like they were having fun.
Dick & Kim Smith
Manhattan, Kansas
2013 APEX 258RKS
2007 GMC Sierra

#19 Jim B

Jim B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 09:41 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1007

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Dick & Kim Smith @ May 27 2010, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got back from my trip late Tuesday evening. I put 5790 miles on the Kumhos with no problems. I kept 60+ lbs in the tires but it was hard to say exactly with the many temperature and elevation changes I was going through. I finally quit checking so often because I think I was bleeding a little pressure off with each check. I only added air one time during the trip and that was about 5 lbs.

My GMC Canyon averaged 17.1 mpg for the whole trip with maybe 300 to 400 non-towing miles out of the 5790.

Great trip overall. I spotted several single Casitas out on the road and ran into a whole plague of them at Capitol Reef NP. Turned out ArizonaEileen was leading a caravan of 16 or so through the southern Utah parks at the time. I managed to sneak into the NP campground with them the second night I was there and visited with a few of them. It looked like they were having fun.

Thanks for your report and your research. Sounds like you had a great trip, even if you did run into a "plague" of Casitas.

Jim B.

#20 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Dick & Kim Smith @ May 27 2010, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Dick!

I'm glad you were able to join us for a short while. Bummer that we didn't get to spend much time with you, but I hope the banter between you and your next-door neighbor Rob (Baron100) about your rivaling Kansas colleges kept you entertained.

As for the Kumhos, I'm glad to read that they performed so well. So far (fingers crossed), I've had good luck with mine.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#21 d_wildemann

d_wildemann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

I took a cross country trip in July and August and experienced tread separation on 2 Kuhmos, each 1 year old, each properly inflated, and each checked daily. Also had a Marathon as a spare - it also had tread separation. I drove up to 70 mph on some 75mph sections of this trip. No fun changing a drivers side tire on an interstate. I don't understand why they can't make a trailer tire that will perform like a car tire. I'm currently in a quandry about buying replacements - Les Schwab had an off brand trailer tire that I bought for 1 wheel. The only tire store open in Winnamuka, NV on a Sunday was a Walmart and they had no trailer tires so I had to buy a car tire as a replacement. Currently in a quandry on replacements - will have to see what Kuhmo says in terms of warrenty.

Donald Wildemann

#22 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 12:41 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Don...... what psi were you using?
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#23 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts
  • Local time: 11:41 AM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (d_wildemann @ Aug 27 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took a cross country trip in July and August and experienced tread separation on 2 Kuhmos, each 1 year old, each properly inflated, and each checked daily. Also had a Marathon as a spare - it also had tread separation. I drove up to 70 mph on some 75mph sections of this trip. No fun changing a drivers side tire on an interstate. I don't understand why they can't make a trailer tire that will perform like a car tire. I'm currently in a quandry about buying replacements - Les Schwab had an off brand trailer tire that I bought for 1 wheel. The only tire store open in Winnamuka, NV on a Sunday was a Walmart and they had no trailer tires so I had to buy a car tire as a replacement. Currently in a quandry on replacements - will have to see what Kuhmo says in terms of warrenty.

Donald Wildemann

Donald-

I'm curious about what you found out about your warranty. I bought 2 Kumho 857s from The Tire Rack and after 3 years, and carefully tracking the 17K miles, one of them separated. The Tire Rack told me that there is no warranty other than for a "defective" tire. They said that I would need to mail the remnants of the blown tire back to them (at my expense), and they would determine if it was defective or not. She acted like they have never determined a tire to be defective, so I decided not to waste my money sending it back.

Since I needed new tires right away, I went ahead and ordered 2 new Kumho 857s from The Tire Rack, but I doubt that I will do business with them again.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#24 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,277 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

Pardon my ignorance but doesn't 195 or 205 refer to width, not diameter?

I've been running 215 Good Year marathons ever since Casita salesman Dick Morris suggested it. They fit and they seem to work out ok; only one failure in seven years full time travel. A second failure was a bulge in the curb side tire when, uh, I ran hard over a curb.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#25 The Smiths

The Smiths
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft Spirit Deluxe

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:14 PM

Good luck trying to get the Kuhmo's. They are out of production. I have been waiting since October from Tire Rack. I may have to buy 15 inch wheels and tires as no other 14 inch load range D tires on market that I can find.
David

#26 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

I have been reading a lot of great reviews on the other casita site about Maxxis UE-168 tires in the 14" and 15" size range.
I have Kumhos right now but if and when they go i may switch
Joe
click on the link below and scroll down to Maxxis commercial UE-168...2271lb capacity but 6" wide rims needed
http://www.casitafor...?showtopic=3784

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#27 Tom Trostel

Tom Trostel
  • Casita Club Member
  • 316 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1980 Bigfoot 15B17G
  • Interests:Dutch oven cooking, 1965 Sunbeam Tiger, hiking, history

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

The Tire Rack website shows Kuhmo Radial 857 in size 195R14 as "in stock". These are D rated, made in Korea (not China like the current 205s), and larger in diameter than a Goodyear Marathon 205/75/14.
Tom & Martha Jo Trostel
Arlington, Texas
1973 Compact Junior &
1980 Bigfoot 17'

#28 campnagle

campnagle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:14 AM

I just bought a set of Maxis 168's after a Kumho failure but now ran across a Michelin option I would have jumped on.
Agilis commercial light truck tires, 205 75r 14c, max load single rating is 2266 @ 69lbs.
This info from the other Casita forum. IMHO there is no finer tire than Michelin no matter what the application.

http://www.michelinm...me/agilis-tires

Edited by campnagle, 24 November 2010 - 04:15 AM.

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
14 Silverado LT 4WD 5.3 V8
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#29 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 24 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

I just bought a set of Maxis 168's after a Kumho failure but now ran across a Michelin option I would have jumped on.
Agilis commercial light truck tires, 205 75r 14c, max load single rating is 2266 @ 69lbs.
This info from the other Casita forum. IMHO there is no finer tire than Michelin no matter what the application.

http://www.michelinm...me/agilis-tires

That does look like a good tire to keep an eye on as i also like Michelin's which are on my grand cherokee with 40,000 miles(not agilis) and lots of tread left yet

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#30 The Smiths

The Smiths
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17ft Spirit Deluxe

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:10 AM

205R-14 KUMHO RADIAL 857 TRAILER USE ONLY D
This is the tires I am waiting on. Looking at sizes I could go with the 195s but traction might be compromised since the tire will be narrower. Overall hieght may effect my forward tilt down to the trailer hitch. My hitch has a special 1 inch hieght on it (also hard to find) to get the trailer as level as possible. Anyone talked to the Casita folks about the Marathon failures? If so what was their response? My whole point in getting the 14 inch tires is so I would not have to change rims. Any one switched to 15 inch tires and rims and if so where did you get them? There are certainly more choices in 15 inch tires. I went through this same trouble when bought tires for my 1971 Volkswagen Transporter. Did manage to get some Kumho RA08 radials for it in 14 inch from tire rack.
On line there are some special trailer accessory sites that offer Carlisle brand.