3 replies to this topic

#1 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 661 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

I have combed through dozens of postings on the hot water heater, learned a lot I did not know about switches, plugs, reset buttons, AC vs Propane option and burning up heating elements. However, I still can't find the answer to my dilemma. We have had our 2003 Casita for almost 3 years, we did not get it new so there is a lot I missed in understanding how to use all of the bells and whistles.

Our propane heat for the hot water heater will not attempt to ignite. We have 2 full tanks, the fridge and stove work just fine. I use to hear the pizzo (auto ignite) click in an attempt to light the water heater even when I had forgotten to turn on the propane tanks. I read a post someone talked about a plug on top of the water heater could have gotten pulled out. I went and looked and I don't see a plug on top of the water heater. I checked the breaker panel, it is on. I noticed there are a couple of wire connections on the outside of the camper, they have some kind of quick attachment/snap on. Could there be a loose wire somewhere? Any suggestions of how to run down the problem?

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2003 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#2 outdoors4me

outdoors4me
  • Casita Club Member
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, Hiking, Kayaking, Photography, Motorcycles, Playing Music and last but not least, dreaming of retirement.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

Possibly related to the potential battery problem in the other post? Just throwing out suggestions. I think I'd want to take the battery out, and charge in on a battery charger (Not let the Casita do it) and then try again.

Good luck,

Beck
Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder Credo

#3 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

My gas mode wouldn't work either. Electric mode worked fine.
First clue there was a problem was when I turned on the switch on inside Casita to start the ignition sequence, the red light on switch panel didn't light, and 13 or so seconds later, I didn't hear the ignitor spark.
I took the top piece of wood off the bench and looked down onto the top of the water heater insulation box. On top was a 4 wire connector that wasn't plugged into anything. The "ignitor contol box" had come loose and was hanging off the side of the insulation box. I brought it back ontop of the insulation box and plugged it in. Now the red led light comes on and the ignition sequence is normal.
I think what had happened was, in cold weather, I pushed the trailer power cord back into it's compartment, and since the cord was stiff, it must have routed itself over on top of the water heater insulated box and got around the ignitor control box. The next time I hooked up to shore power, I pulled and yanked the power cord to get it out and disconnected the connector on the ignitor control box.
There should be a red or orangish looking cable going to the ignitor control box and the 4 wire connector attached to the end of the control box.

Good luck.

(thanks to John for the water heater trouble shooting hint in Death Valley... and hello to Elaine also... hot water is a wonderfull thing....no?)
Mark Watson
Denton,Tx
2008 17' FD

#4 clover

clover
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 661 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

apparently after i drained the hot water tank to change the anode, then stored for the winter................the tried to fill off the fresh water tank using the pump........it would not fill to satisfy the propane ignition sensor. once i connected to city water and vented a little air off the tank..........it filled and the propane ignited.
Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2003 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)