16 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Patriot Deluxe 13'

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

While looking at another post the question was asked how to Stealth park while traveling with a travel trailer and it is quite evident that it is a hard thing to do.
I may be updating my tow vehicle and was considering something like an all white van that could be used without the travel trailer to overnight without arousing too much suspicion. I would like maybe some links on ones that are complete but starting from scratch with a blank van would also work..... I would like to have a furnace a bed and a place for a porta potti if possible. So any links for complete vehicles or places to buy the cabinets etc or just any good links you think might be helpful would be appreciated. Good gas mileage would be a big plus....or diesel etc
Thanks for any help biggrin.gif

Joe
Joe & Linda
2010 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
Dodge Ram 4x4

#2 truckeetim

truckeetim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

http://www.cheaprvli....com/index.html

http://wallydocking.com/

http://marysramblins...stealth-rv.html

Edited by truckeetim, 09 January 2010 - 02:13 PM.

2001 '17 LD
'79 F150 4x4

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (truckeetim @ Jan 9 2010, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some really good reading and i am already into about two hours worth of reading that top site "cheaprvliving" very interesting for me.
thanks,
Joe
Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 osage

osage
  • Casita Club Member
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

Read this article a while back that Walmart figures that every camper in there lot will spend from $50.00 to $100.00 for every stay.

#5 meanders

meanders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 645 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 PM
  • Interests:travel<br />biochemistry
  • Casita Club Directory #:2338

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

I remember reading about the stealth camping on this site about a year ago--wow, so cool
meanders, who never stealth camps smile.gif (well not yet, but sounds so cool)

Edited by meanders, 13 January 2010 - 06:46 PM.

meanders
Denton, Tx
Honda Ridgeline RT
2006 SD 17
Prodigy
Casita Club # 2338

#6 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

So far a plain white van done up on the inside only by myself to the way i want it is what i favor the most as it could still pull my egg. I looked thru the VW Vanagon Westfalia's which on ebay and craig's list are really nice but for their age and lack of towing ability are really expensive (average $13,000- $15,000 for a decent one). But to me they look really "Cool"
Like someone told me on a PM "Big/Small it's a tough decision"
Joe
Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#7 travisandmarla

travisandmarla
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Staying warm, going to music festivals across the USA
  • Casita Club Directory #:2308

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

We purchased a ford f150 passenger van and love it. It tows better than our dodge truck and now we have another space to hang out and storage. We also take it without the casita for long trips. Our last two trips, Smokey mtns. the east coast from south carolina up to delaware, through washington d.c., gettysburg, Shenendoah Nat. Park (a 7wk trip) and Florida gulf coast and through New Orleans (3 wk. trip) were with the van only. We took the back seats out and built a couple of couch/beds with room for storage containers underneath, black out curtains for privacy, a toliet seat bucket for emergencies, battery fans, a heater we never used and an ice chest. Also we have gotten quite good rigging tarps for shade/rain and hanging privacy fabric. We carry a coleman propane stove and a small charcholer. This is a great way to travel for overnighting at Wal Marts or camping in state parks. We even stayed in a hotel parking lot once. Much better gas mileage for those long road trips too!

Attached Thumbnails

• P5040147.jpg

95 freedom deluxe, 2006 ford econoline van equipped for camping, 2000 dodge pickup 1500 quad cab, camper shell, 2 townie bikes and 2 kayaks !!!

#8 travisandmarla

travisandmarla
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (travisandmarla @ Feb 25 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We purchased a ford f150 passenger van and love it. It tows better than our dodge truck and now we have another space to hang out and storage. We also take it without the casita for long trips. Our last two trips, Smokey mtns. the east coast from south carolina up to delaware, through washington d.c., gettysburg, Shenendoah Nat. Park (a 7wk trip) and Florida gulf coast and through New Orleans (3 wk. trip) were with the van only. We took the back seats out and built a couple of couch/beds with room for storage containers underneath, black out curtains for privacy, a toliet seat bucket for emergencies, battery fans, a heater we never used and an ice chest. Also we have gotten quite good rigging tarps for shade/rain and hanging privacy fabric. We carry a coleman propane stove and a small charcholer. This is a great way to travel for overnighting at Wal Marts or camping in state parks. We even stayed in a hotel parking lot once. Much better gas mileage for those long road trips too!

Attached Thumbnails

• P5050221.jpg

95 freedom deluxe, 2006 ford econoline van equipped for camping, 2000 dodge pickup 1500 quad cab, camper shell, 2 townie bikes and 2 kayaks !!!

#9 travisandmarla

travisandmarla
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (travisandmarla @ Feb 25 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (travisandmarla @ Feb 25 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DID NOT MEAN TO POST THIS TWICE, DIDN'T THINK IT WORKED.....WOOPS AND SORRY

Attached Thumbnails

• P5040147.jpg

Edited by travisandmarla, 25 February 2010 - 08:46 AM.

#10 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Casita Club Member
  • 564 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

Travis and Maria

I have read the existing material about stealth camping also and am fascinated by it. It is especially interesting now that we (as a nation) seem destined to spend more and more money and time pursuing sources of energy that are substandard to say the least. With the price of gasoline going up week after week it seems that it is very possible that pulling these little fibreglass trailers will become expensive beyond my, and other's, ability to afford at some point in the not too distant future. I love traveling and camping. Stealth camping seems like a reasonable alternative - should it come to that end.

I would very much like to see some more photo posts of your stealth rig. Maybe one looking forward from the rear doors and a couple showing the construction of the bed frames.

Thanks, Don in UT
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#11 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

TravisandMaria
Really like your setup and we used to do that back in the 70's......I like all the 70's era tie-dyed and wizard privacy curtains too. Seems to be the perfect setup for trailer pulling or just without the trailer.
Enjoy it
Joe
Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#12 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

dry.gif Maybe these will help with how to Stealth park while traveling with a travel trailer:

http://www.rv.net/fo...07.cfm#23227407

http://www.rv.net/fo...21.cfm#23703321

http://www.rv.net/fo...06.cfm#23645206

We had a Chevy Conversion Van for a tow for a few years. Not a greatly converted Convesion Van, but it had four captains chairs, and a back bench seat which could fold out to be a bed. Our kids used it a few times to sleep in while parked in front of relatives in Orange county CA as well as at campgrounds at times. Seems like my son and I stayed in it at one time with it as well. Example: http://www.explorerv...llery/index.cfm

I can see how one would be easier to Urban Stealth Camp with. Ours was red, but a white one would be even easier to use. If it was converted for camping using a cargo van, even more stealthly.

A Roadtrek or simular B-class RV would be a pretty good van for Stealthing as well, IMHO.
http://www.roadtrek.com/

http://sportsmobile.com/

http://sportsmobile....plans07_rb.html

http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/sprinter/

Edited by DesertHawk, 25 February 2010 - 10:31 PM.

DesertHawk * Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
2005 Scamp 16' SD - 2009 White Ford F-150 Reg Cab (Retired the '03 Ford Ranger)
http://s286.photobuc...rection=reverse
CampingPosts

#13 Muttley

Muttley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 844 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 17SD

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:57 PM

At RV.Net there is a class B forum with some threads on building your own camper van.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#14 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

Deserthawk

The sportsmobile .com catches my eye as somewhat affordable. You always supply good links.
Joe
Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#15 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Feb 26 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Deserthawk

The sportsmobile .com catches my eye as somewhat affordable. You always supply good links.
Joe

At a recent RV show I attended in Dallas, I was SHOCKED to see most decked out Class B vans were priced at $65-80,000, whereas one could
buy a really nice Class C on a 450 or 550 chassis for 25-35% LESS.

Made no sense to me-

Bob