• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Amos

Charles Amos
  • Casita Club Member
  • 239 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:24 AM

I will soon become old as dirt soon (62) and wish to acquire a National Park Senior Pass prior to making reservations at National Parks for upcoming trip. I know that I have to do so in person. I live in Dothan, Alabama (southeast corner of the state). Where is the closest place to Dothan I can purchase the Senior Pass?. It looks like it is a long way and may not be practical to do so.

If I cannot purchase one prior to the trip, does anyone know if I can make reservations bases on purchasing one at the park. In the past I had to pay at the time I made the reservations, which would be before purchasing the Senior Pass.

Thanks in advance.

Charles Amos

Charles and Barbara
2002 17' SD - 05 Tacoma
South Alabama

#2 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Anyplace that accepts the Golden Age Passport Card will issue you one, as I understand it. I went to a Federal park south of daytrona Beach, Fl to surf fish once, with my son, and the man at the front gate, noticing my gray hair, I suppose, suggested that if I purchase the card for $5.00 the entrance fee would be waived. So, in a brilliant moment, my young son said, "He is, I'll pay for it" and did. The Golden Age Passport Card was cheaper than the entrance fee per person. I have used it many, many times since for a hell of a savings!
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#3 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 SD 16 ft
  • Trailer Name:Eggcarto
  • Casita Club Directory #:2250

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

Hi Charles, it looks like that the Federal campgrounds around the Walter F. George lake would be the closest places to get your Federal Senior Pass - i.e. White Oak Creek, Bluff Creek, or Cotton Hill (GA). I didn't find any other Federal places - monuments, other Federal parks close by. I stayed at Cotton Hill and know there is an office serving those lakes where you could get your Pass.

If using Recreation.gov (or ReserveAmerica.com) and you want to get your Sr discount, you will need to have your Pass # in hand when reserving on line, otherwise you don't get it then. I did have in only one case, where I was given the discount, after arriving, at the Federal campground when I had previously reserved on line without entering my Sr Pass #. I think they had to cancel the reservation, I paid a penalty, but the discount far exceeded the penalty because I stayed a week. I have a hunch if you should ask, they will tell you that the discount can't be given - it maybe a Park by Park situation as to whether the camp hosts will do it.

A birth certificate is required when getting your Sr Pass, but I got mine without it and by signing an affidavit that I was of age and I believe I showed my drivers license. Hope this info is helpful.
Emily
Casita Down the Road
05 Tundra 4x2, 2000 Spirit DL
Spring can't come soon enough for some short outings.
Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. ~Ray Bradbury
Emily's Adventures in Retirement

#4 Charles Amos

Charles Amos
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

NomadWoman:

Thanks a lot. I just got off the phone with the folks at Walter George and will go there to pick one up. It is about a hour away.

Charles Amos
Charles and Barbara
2002 17' SD - 05 Tacoma
South Alabama

#5 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Oh, by the way - Welcome to the "Golden Years" and the senior discount era years of your life. anim_bannana.gif
Emily
Casita Down the Road

#6 davidandrachelf

davidandrachelf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

When we got our Senior Pass the closest place for us to get it was a National Forest Ranger office. smile.gif
1999 Casita SD
1999 Ford F-250 Diesel

#7 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

wink.gif Yep! Welcome aboard youngster, biggrin.gif . Got mine a little over a year ago, soon as I could after my B-day. I had to drive at least 4 miles to get it at the local BLM office. Lucky to have one in town for sure, otherwise, it would have been more like an hours drive to a forest service site. I can't remember if I took a birth certificate, but if they were asking for one on the web site, I must have. It was the one thing I can remember wanting and anxious for a birthday to hurry up and get here.....starting at my 60th birthday, I believe. It has been great having for sure. Fun to show and not have to pay. anim_wow.gif

Edited by DesertHawk, 17 November 2009 - 09:32 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#8 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Picked ours up at Julian Price Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway and I am positive that we wouldn't have had our birth certificate with us. Didn't know anthing about it at the time but ranger suggested it and it paid for itself right then and there.
By the way, does anybody know of a list of places that give discounts for this? I know national parks and corp. of eng'r campgrounds but I think some states give same discount too. Would be nice to have a list printed.

Edited by Chris Z, 18 November 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#9 Charles Amos

Charles Amos
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Got it today at the Fish and Wildlife office in Eufula, Alabama, about an hour away. Very nice lady helped me and did not require a birth certificate, but had it in case. Now I can make reservations for next camping season at the old folks rate.
Thanks.

Charles

Charles and Barbara
2002 17' SD - 05 Tacoma
South Alabama

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,396 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:41 PM

Last time I camped in Louisiana their State Parks gave 50% discount to Golden age cards smile.gif

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 Alan #1119

Alan #1119
  • Casita Club Member
  • 492 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

OA does have its perks!
Alan #1119

'02 17' SD
'05 GMC Sierra

Dallas, TX

#12 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

We camped in LA this fall and they do give the Golden Age passport or Senior Pass or whatever they're calling it now discount.

FYI, the forest service campground in MS only gave the discount on the campground fee, not the water and electric fee which was separate but we still saved $7.00.

We got ours when we went to Big Bend three years ago. It was $10.00 and saved us the $20.00 entrance fee if I recall. A true no-brainer. We're looking forward to retirement in another year or so and getting to use it a LOT more.

Reine

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#13 NomadWoman

NomadWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Having that Sr Pass helps tremendously when you come to those $25/vehicle entrance fees, like at Bryce in Utah, and you are traveling solo!
Emily
Casita Down the Road

#14 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

Your drivers license should be sufficient proof of age.

Mine cost me $10, but it is the best bargain ever.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra