• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Horace & Dianne @ Oct 27 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don:
I noticed the generator you had mounted on the rear bumper of your Casita. The generator appears to be a Yamaha EF2400iS; how do you like it compaired to the Honda EU2000iA?
Can the Yamaha generator run your A/C unit without any loading issues?
I would like to purchase a small portable generator in the next few months. Just obtaining information from various users about which type of generator they have and how satisfied they are with their unit.
Thanks in advance for the information.

Hi Horace – You are correct, the generator that I normally carry when traveling is a Yamaha EF2400is. Bought it in 2005 to use with the Scamp 19’ 5vr I had at the time. The air conditioner in the Scamp was larger than a Honda 2000 would run so the Yamaha was the better fit. I have taken the Honda on a couple of trips when it was certain that we would not be using the air conditioning but have pretty much settled on carrying the Yamaha all the time now – WHY – read on a bit.

When I purchased my 2007 Casita I also bought a Honda 2000 with the object of carrying a lighter and more fuel-efficient unit. During my initial setup and testing of the Casita, the Honda was unable to reliably start and re-start the air conditioning unit. I discussed this encounter on the Casita Club forum and documented and posted it on my Flickr account at:
http://tinyurl.com/2bgjq4

You can read in the CONCLUSIONS of the post, that after installation of the Hard/Soft start kit on my air conditioner, the Honda was able to consistently start and restart the air conditioner, with the ECO mode turned off. It was also marginally able to do the same with the ECO mode turned on.

Fuel consumption was another of my interests and I monitored this during subsequent use of both the Honda and Yamaha generators. My observation is that when the load requirement approaches the maximum limit of the Honda then the difference in fuel consumption is not significant – with the Honda being able to run about 5 minutes longer over two hour period.

So when traveling, rather than carry the Honda, which might or might not have done the job at higher altitudes or have to monitor the use of my electric water heater, air conditioner, micro-wave, etc. I decided to accept the weight penalty and carry the Yamaha. Being lighter and thus easier to handle, the Honda does an admirable job around the yard running electrical equipment. It also has been pressed into service along with the Yamaha to provide emergency service during a couple of periods of extended electrical outages.

Recently I revisited this topic and determined that the Honda still starts and re-starts my air conditioner with the ECO mode off. It also does so when the ECO mode is on, however the engine sounds as if it is struggling during each re-start. We are at about 360 feet elevation here at home and I would be apprehensive about depending upon the Honda, with ECO on, to perform reliably at say 5,000 feet or when another significant electrical load was present.

Since Casita changes equipment frequently and even if your air conditioner was the same model as mine the electrical requirement could be a little different. Likewise, each generator output is a little different. My encounter might be with a slightly ‘tight’ air conditioner and a slightly ‘weak’ Honda. Best thing I can offer is a suggestion that you try to borrow, perhaps at a Casita rally/gathering, a Honda 2000 and try it with your rig. Other than that, buy the Yamaha 2400 and never look back.

Hope this is of some help to you. See ya down the road … Don

Don & Sherian, 2013 Ford F150, 4.0 V6, Crew Cab
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go)

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#2 TX900s

TX900s
  • Rally Organizer
  • 334 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:Evelands Inc 2005 Scamp 19'd

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

Hello, I am Blair and I have Don's Scamp 5th wheel. After consulting with Don about the two units I also decided to go with the Yamaha. A year ago I found myself in the path of hurricane Ike and lost power at my house for 1 day short of two weeks. My Yamaha ran my trailer, two refrigerators and other miscellaneous equipment such as broadband modem, router, PC's and TV's. Now I could not bring up all 3 compressors at the same time, but if I staggered them on startup the Yamaha ran all of them flawlessly. My story is, you just never know when you will need just a little more power than a Honda 2000 can give you. It is highly unlikely you could ever tell the difference in the noise difference, which is basically the same depending on your load on each generator. I say, never look back.

Yamaha
Honda

Blair McClure & Jeanette McClure - Houston, TX
Evelands Inc. 2005 Scamp 19'd
Website = MFRVG
Scamp Travels

#3 Casita Colorado

Casita Colorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 PM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

#4 TX900s

TX900s
  • Rally Organizer
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

Honda 3000, very nice but $1,000 dollars more for 600 watts....lol....the same size fuel tank as the Yamaha 2400 and louder. That makes the 2400 a no brainer.

Blair
Website = MFRVG
Scamp Travels

#5 Casita Colorado

Casita Colorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (TX900s @ Oct 31 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honda 3000, very nice but $1,000 dollars more for 600 watts....lol....the same size fuel tank as the Yamaha 2400 and louder. That makes the 2400 a no brainer.

Blair

actually i posted that because of the casita in the ad, i myself have 2 eu2000i ,or 2000 additional watts for 900 dollars and a true 30 amp setup cool.gif

Edited by Casita Colorado, 31 October 2009 - 09:19 AM.

#6 Casita Colorado

Casita Colorado
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

i saw this one today on nat geo

#7 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17SD

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

Don:

Thanks for the detailed reply; since I have been looking at the specifications of both the Yamahi EF 2800i and the Honda EU200iA for some time. It nice to find someone else that agreed with me at the differance between the two. I think the Yamahi would give us the best results that we are looking for. The major differance between the two that I like is the lesser weight of the Honda, but that is still not a big issue.

Here at our home we have a large portable generator that can carry all necessary electrical load when the normal electrical service is disrupted; which is very rare. Now I just need to do a little checking on who has the best price.

Again thank you for the reply along with the other responses.

Horace & Dianne
Chesapeake, VA
RV: 2008 17SD
TV: 2003 Toyota Sequoia

#8 Owl

Owl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 100 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Hi Horace & Denise,

Not to further complicate your decision but you referenced the Yamaha EF2800i and Don has the EF2400iS. Both use inverter style technology but are really two entirely different units especially with regard to noise levels. To me, the 2800 is more of a contractor grade model.

I'm not sure exactly what Honda/Yamaha models Blair is comparing. If its Honda's EU3000iSA vs the EF2400iS Yamaha - From their respective websites MSRP - $1,999.95 vs $1,699.00, Tank size - 3.4 gal vs 1.6 gal, Noise level - 58 dBA @ rated load, 49 dBA @ 1/4 load vs 53-58 dBA, Continuous operation at 1/4 rated load - 20 hrs vs 8.6 hrs, Electric start vs manual, 3 yr warranty vs 2 yr.

I've had the EU3000i Honda for going on four years and its more or less permanently mounted on the tongue of our 16' Scamp so weight isn't an issue. We've been well satisfied with it but would probably have been just as happy with the 3000 Yamaha. I don't think a 2000W unit would have served our needs and, at that time, Yamaha had not introduced the 2400iS or the decision might have been a bit tougher. Good luck with your search.

Al

Edited by Owl, 02 November 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#9 TX900s

TX900s
  • Rally Organizer
  • 334 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:40 AM

My first note was clearly a reply about the question at hand in which Don and Horace described if you follow the thread. " The generator appears to be a Yamaha EF2400iS; how do you like it compaired to the Honda EU2000iA?"

And it had a link to the Yamaha and Honda in question. Not quite sure where Owl got off track.

My second response came right after the YouTube video in which the new Honda EU3000i Handi was displayed.

EF2400iS, MSRP$1,479, Noise Level 53-58 dBA, Fuel Tank Capacity 1.6 gal, Dry Weight 70 lb

EU3000i Handi, MSRP $2,199.95, Noise Level 57-65 dB, Fuel Tank Capacity 1.56 gal., Dry Weight 78 lbs.

Blair

Website = MFRVG
Scamp Travels

#10 casihotrodd

casihotrodd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Chili Cookoffs

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

I have research portable generators and pretty much settlrd for the yamaha 2400 - until I found the BOLIY - they have a 3000 watt model with electric start that weighs only 78 pounds and cost less than $1175 dollars - check out www.boliy.com - I would like to hear comments on this or possible people that know of this make.

Ken Rodd
austin, tx
casihotrodd@aol.com
Ken Rodd
dwgken@aol.com
www.roddenterprises.com
Austin, TX 78744

#11 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (casihotrodd @ Dec 27 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have research portable generators and pretty much settlrd for the yamaha 2400 - until I found the BOLIY - they have a 3000 watt model with electric start that weighs only 78 pounds and cost less than $1175 dollars - check out www.boliy.com - I would like to hear comments on this or possible people that know of this make.

Ken Rodd
austin, tx
casihotrodd@aol.com

Hmmm...

When I copied and pasted www.boliy.com this is what I got:
boily.png

#12 casihotrodd

casihotrodd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (casihotrodd @ Dec 27 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ken Rodd
austin, tx
casihotrodd@aol.com

try this web site www.boliyguy.com

Ken Rodd
dwgken@aol.com
www.roddenterprises.com
Austin, TX 78744

#13 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,644 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Casita SD 17'

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (casihotrodd @ Jan 2 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (casihotrodd @ Dec 27 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ken Rodd
austin, tx
casihotrodd@aol.com

try this web site www.boliyguy.com

The updated link did it
thanks

http://www.boliyguy.com/

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#14 casihotrodd

casihotrodd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:42 AM

I bought the Boly generator and I am impressed along with some owners of other small quiet generators. 3000 watts with a surge to 3400. I got the option electric start model and the cost was $1219.00. The weight is only 76 pounds. As quiet as the others I compared it to
Ken Rodd
dwgken@aol.com
www.roddenterprises.com
Austin, TX 78744