14 replies to this topic

#1 RangerDuke

RangerDuke
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 01:57 PM
  • Interests:Camping, NASCAR races, DO cooking

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

rolleyes.gif Does anyone use Netgear wireless internet while on the road? I need more information especially with regards to the 3G that is needed to make the devise able to access a WI-FI hot spot while traveling. Any info on the subject will be very useful. Thanks. Ranger Duke
Ranger Duke & Bev
San Antonio, Texas
2007 17'SD "Casita Bonita"
TV 2007 Nissan Frontier NE
"We B Cruzing"

#2 CoupevilleFish

CoupevilleFish
  • Casita Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Canoe/kayaking<br />Bicycling<br />Photgraohy<br />Woodworking<br />Segway

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

I am not sure i fully understand the question, but let me define some terms and see if that helps.

3G is a cellular term. It provides internet access from cellular phones. The major carriers also have a cellular card you can plud into your USB slot to access the cellular network directly. There is also an option with some phones and carriers to cable your phone to your computer to get this access. It is flexible in that it works whereveryour carrier has a 3G attenna. A lot of people on the forum use this. I do not because I do not want to pay the monthly cost.

WIFI is a signal that is provided from a small router. It is good for 200-300 feet, maybe more depending on the router. It may or may not be free. Many campgrounds offer it as a free service. The signal is transmittd to and from the router via cables and to/from the internet via cable, or sattelite depending on the provider. Netgear is one of the bigger (and better, in my opinion) router makers. Your laptop may have a WIFI card built in or you can add one, again using the USB slot. Once you have the card, it is a matter of finding the WIFI signal with your computer and making the connection. Making the connection has as many variables as you can imagine. We just returned form a 4 week trip and rean into all combinations. - some worked better than others and some never did work.

One thing we eventually did was hook up with Starbucks. I am not a coffee drinker but my wife is. You get a starbucks card with a $5 investment and get 2 hours per day free as long as you use the card once a month. The Starbucks are everywhere (well not in the dingles) and the internet service is fadt and reliable. This was our backup when we could not get serv ice in the campground.

Good luck

Dave

#3 RangerDuke

RangerDuke
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Camping, NASCAR races, DO cooking

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (CoupevilleFish @ Oct 21 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not sure i fully understand the question, but let me define some terms and see if that helps.

3G is a cellular term. It provides internet access from cellular phones. The major carriers also have a cellular card you can plud into your USB slot to access the cellular network directly. There is also an option with some phones and carriers to cable your phone to your computer to get this access. It is flexible in that it works whereveryour carrier has a 3G attenna. A lot of people on the forum use this. I do not because I do not want to pay the monthly cost.

WIFI is a signal that is provided from a small router. It is good for 200-300 feet, maybe more depending on the router. It may or may not be free. Many campgrounds offer it as a free service. The signal is transmittd to and from the router via cables and to/from the internet via cable, or sattelite depending on the provider. Netgear is one of the bigger (and better, in my opinion) router makers. Your laptop may have a WIFI card built in or you can add one, again using the USB slot. Once you have the card, it is a matter of finding the WIFI signal with your computer and making the connection. Making the connection has as many variables as you can imagine. We just returned form a 4 week trip and rean into all combinations. - some worked better than others and some never did work.

One thing we eventually did was hook up with Starbucks. I am not a coffee drinker but my wife is. You get a starbucks card with a $5 investment and get 2 hours per day free as long as you use the card once a month. The Starbucks are everywhere (well not in the dingles) and the internet service is fadt and reliable. This was our backup when we could not get serv ice in the campground.

Good luck

Dave

Ranger Duke & Bev
San Antonio, Texas
2007 17'SD "Casita Bonita"
TV 2007 Nissan Frontier NE
"We B Cruzing"

#4 DonTX58

DonTX58
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirt/16
  • Interests:Camping, Golf, Hiking, Hunting, Photography, Shooting competitions, Traveling and Web Design

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:56 PM

Hello there,

Speaking of using Internet in Casita travel trailers, I thought of one possible solution by using this device called Autonet Mobile.

Check it out on this link - http://www.autonetmobile.com/

It may be useful to use laptop or anything by wifi to be connected to this device. It can be used while in motion as well. Wonder if anyone has used this device or not? Please let me know and thanks.
Kindest Regards,

Don S. from Dallas, TX
Future purchaser of 16ft SDTT

#5 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 555 posts
  • Local time: 02:57 PM

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:40 AM

@Ranger Duke...Do you have "Netgear" and therefor your question is very specific to Netgear? I'm not clear on that. But jumping in full force I'll tell you what I have that works!
I have a USB Stick that is VirginBroadBand2Go. I bought the stick in Walmart for about $80.00. Am VERY happy with it! This is how it works:
1. NO contract
2.log on and pay $40.00/month unlimited air time...when YOU want it!
3.Plug and Play (very easy)stick is about the size of external usb back up drive for photos
4.When I'm NOT traveling in Casita...I don't pay
5.VERY secure ...It's mine and only mine...as opposed to Starbucks or any other WiFi Hot spot (NOT secure)
6. Fast (relatively) and great access (signal)
7.Reception : great so far,All over FL (from Cleremont to the Keys ),GA,SC so far. Just got it a yr ago.
Hope this helps! I LOVE it! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#6 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:30 AM

Happy Connected Camper

I've never tried accessing the internet as I drive down the road. As solos, neither Phoebe nor I have a broad enough attention span to do anything other than drive (or nap in Phoebe's case) as we wander down the road. I even pull to the side of the road to handle cell phone conversations.

That said, I have used a USB 3G modem stick since 2007 or 2008. I have service with AT&T for $30/month and in that length of time from VA to CA have found very few campgrounds/Rest Stops/Cracker Barrels where I could not access the internet if I so chose. I had/have an unlimited access plan. As I understand it, our elected representatives have limited my access to 5GB/mo. AT&T and I are discussing this. This action has driven me to use the WiFi available from other source more often than I have bee accustomed. I have found that while traveling my access to the internet is more often limited by laziness and sight seeing than by lack of access. I am pleased with this arrangement and recommend it to everyone. I believe I even had access in Slab City, but I'm not positive. I do know that cell phone contact was occasionally problematic there.

Lane and Phoebe, the wired Poodle Girl
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#7 jkoenig24

jkoenig24
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Flying, Mac computers, Shooting Sports particularly handguns, skiing, photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:How do I find this?

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi RD! I've been using a PEPWAVE Surf Mini at home for about a year now. I had meant to bring it along last summer but, it was one of the items I forgot. It's wallwart does need to plug into 110VAC (an expensive battery pack was available). It basically sniffs out whatever WiFi signals are available and then, amplifies and rebroadcasts. On an unencrypted signal, you're good to go (after a basic set up via your computer). If you have the password, you'd be able to use encrypted signals. It was a little complicated setting it up the first time but, the 3G Store where I bought it, had great tech support and walked me through it. I have moved it to several other locations where it did it's thing and, got me connected. The PEPWAVE sells for around $100. Here's a link to the 3G Store:

http://3gstore.com/p...CFYXd4AodWAo8Cg

I'm also experimenting with another WiFi receiver. ALFA makes several models that plug in and get power via a USB port. On my MacBook Pro, it hasn't been as reliable as the PEPWAVE (supposedly, there's a problem only with Mac OS 10.6) Support is MIA for the ALFA. I think I'm finally figuring it out though. I bought mine via Amazon.com but, I understand Data Alliance has a better selection of ALFA products. ALFAs start in the $40 range. Here's a link to Data Alliance:

http://www.data-alliance.net/

As is, neither Pepwave or ALFA are weatherproof. Enclosures can be bought to make them suitable for outdoor use. I've had no real problems using them indoors although the signal is probably reduced. Also note; I only bother with one of these units if I can't get a WiFi signal on my MacBook Pro via Airport (Apple's built in WiFi program).

Hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you still have questions.

John
FlyGuy

#8 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 458 posts
  • Local time: 02:57 PM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I don’t know if this will help but this is what I run and have been very happy with this set up. I need to preface that we travel a lot, are heavy internet users and stay in pretty remote places so this maybe over the top. In addition I have a auxiliary battery that to run the following:
1.I started with a Sprint Air Card (ran into poor coverage problems), then a tethering smart phone (can't use the phone a tether at the same time) and now link to Millenicom Mobile Wireless Broadband (reseller of Verizon air card USB modem) . I get 20 gigs for $59.99/month.
2.For week signal areas I have a link to Maximum Signal In Car Wireless Amp. It amplifies both 3g and 4g signals. Yes there are some places where I do not get reception on the Verizon aircard network but I have a ATT iphone and between Verzion and ATT we are pretty well covered. The cool thing about the Maximum Signal amp is that it amplifies any wireless signal regardless of the network.
3.Finally I have a link to CradlePoint wireless router CTR35. One advantage is that when we bought our iPad we got only the WiFi one and it hooks up the CradlePoint router along with another up to 12 devices. So when we are camping or traveling down the road the laptop, iPad, and two iPhones are hooked up to the router . We can sit in the trailer and hook up to the CradlePoint inside Omelet.

Edited by Bubba, 12 April 2011 - 04:26 PM.

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet

Various Pictures

#9 Dr_Pax

Dr_Pax
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Trillium 5500

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:23 AM

I have a USB Stick that is VirginBroadBand2Go.

Can you get the SIM card out of this stick or is it not removable?

#10 rlaz

rlaz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

KokomoeJoe,

Didn't quite understand the $40 monthly charge and the statement..."If I'm not traveling, I don't pay". Do you mean that any month that you are going to camp, you pay $40 even if it is a short trip? (I've never traveled for a month at a time so this would be wasted on me if this is how it works)
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#11 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 815 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

You can get either a portable WiFi hot spot, or a USB adapter sold under the name of "Virgin Mobile".

With these units you can by service by the month, or by 10 day blocks.

I installed the WiFi 2200 for my brother in his home and he uses it for his internet fulltime.

http://www.virginmob...bile-broadband/

Edited by LSChilders, 17 December 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#12 theyellowroseoftexas

theyellowroseoftexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 03:57 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Travel, Hiking, Dog Agility, 4X4

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

You can get either a portable WiFi hot spot, or a USB adapter sold under the name of "Virgin Mobile".

With these units you can by service by the month, or by 10 day blocks.

I installed the WiFi 2200 for my brother in his home and he uses it for his internet fulltime.

http://www.virginmob...bile-broadband/

I just bought the Virgin Mobile USB adaptor for $50. - as soon as we get a decent weekend (never!) I am going to pop the $10 and go try it at one of our Texas State Parks - Palo Duro Canyon or Caprock Canyon - where there is no wifi. I will let ya'll know how it works. It sounds really interesting, especially since there is no contract and you can just buy in blocks of time/MBs. The only time I will need it is the few trips we take in the summer & I can just pop for some time when we are vacationing. I hope!

#13 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

The system I use is the Millenicom "Advanced Plan" which, as described earlier, uses a USB modem with the Verizon Network and provides 20GB per month for $59.99. No contract, you can put it on vacation for a couple of months, or suspend it & pay $19.99 to restart if you want to stop for a longer time.

I feed the USB modem with a http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B001DTZ26O'>Dual Band Trucker/RV antenna, that is connected to a Wilson Vehicle Booster Kit. The reason for using the trucker/RV antenna is because the magnetic one that comes with the Vehicle Booster Kit doesn't work with a fiberglass trailer. The Vehicle Booster Kit has an amplifier & internal antenna that rebroadcasts the boosted cell signal in a 5' - 7' radius around it. This can be used with your cell phone or the USB modem, even at the same time.

Rather than connecting the USB modem directly to my computer I connect it to a WiFi Ranger Router. The advantage of the WiFi Ranger router is it lets you choose 3 inputs - the USB stick (A cell signal), an Ethernet connection (useful if you are somewhere long enough to rent a DSL or Cable Modem) and any WiFi signal it can pick up. In other words you have your own WiFi network that can be feed from the cell modem or the campground WiFi.

Although it sounds complicated, it worked well traveling around much of the country. If the campground had good WiFi, I switched the router to it. If not, I switched to the USB cell modem. I often listen to my hometown public radio station (WRVO) while traveling using their app on my AT&T iPhone. Many parts of the southwest don't have AT&T coverage - Since the entire amplifying system and router in the trailer runs on 12V, I can use the Millenicom Verizon signal & WiFi to cover the tow vehicle. Also works great if you use Pandora.

Any questions, feel free to contact me...

#14 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Some of the fancier cell phones now also have "WiFi Hotspot" capability built-in. They connect to the Internet through the cell phone's 3G connection, then rebroadcast the data as a standard WiFi signal. They don't require a USB cable, and will work with any laptop that has WiFi (Windows, Apple or Linux), iPads, Kindles, etc. Mine will also simultaneously accept phone calls if I'm connected to the high-speed 3G network (out in the country the low-speed network gives a very slow connection, and will either only let you connect the computer or talk on the phone, but not both).

Please note that the this capability has to be built-in to the phone (so I had to buy a fancier Smart phone) and that I pay Verizon $40/month extra just for the data plan of 5GB/month. This gives maximum coverage, as you can get Internet anywhere you can get a cell phone signal. But free WiFi is becoming so common in town that it may not be worth the monthly payment to you.

Oddly enough, my old house was just far enough out in the country that I couldn't get cable or DSL, so the phone was cheaper than satellite service. Now that I'm in the Casita, I get better WiFi for free at the RV park :dncinban:

#15 Samarai

Samarai
  • Casita Club Member
  • 366 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:SD/17'
  • Interests:Travel (RV/Military SpaceA), Metal Detecting, Foreign Language - Japanese

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have Verizon service and a Droid X smart phone. I installed a free app called Foxfi that creates a wifi hotspot around the phone. No additional fees paid to anyone.
Bill, Sweetie, & Mago Chan
Travelin' Texan
2003 Casita 17' SD /'05 Chevy van
White's V3 MD
USAF/USA (CWO) Retired