#1 Dodgeman

Dodgeman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 227 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:Fishing and golf

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Here's an excellent article on trailer tires.

http://www.automedia...ccr20040501tt/1
Roy Bakehorn
2005 17' SD "The Backroads Bunkhouse"
2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8
Prodigy Brake Controller
Indiana

#2 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

They almost acknowledged that our single axle trailers could/should be using a better (non-ST) tire.

"About the only exception is when an ST tire is not available for a particular extra-heavy application, such as single-axle trailers with an unusually large load that surpasses the capacity of an ST tire. In those cases a commercial grade truck tire is usually best."

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:26 PM

I was intrigued by the part that said a bias-ply tire would hold up alot better than a radial but the mileage you get out of it compared to a radial would be only about 1/3 of the radial mileage....... Hmmmm wacko.gif this stuff gets confusing.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Oct 18 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was intrigued by the part that said a bias-ply tire would hold up alot better than a radial but the mileage you get out of it compared to a radial would be only about 1/3 of the radial mileage....... Hmmmm wacko.gif this stuff gets confusing.
Joe

Joe I was the benefactor of bias belt tires back in 2003 when I had a blow out and the nearest tire place where we were wanted to sell me Carlisle, I asked him if he had anything else and he brought out 2 bias plys that were only to be mounted on UHaul trailers and when I pointed that out he said they had lost the contract and these were left. I thought, hmmm, Uhaul doesn't want to be out on the road changing tires all the time and its unreal how folks overload them, plus the speeds they go, they must be a pretty good tire. I had them mounted balanced etc and for 3 years they were great tires with no probs at all, but like this article pointed out they lasted about 17,000 miles and one of them was worn out, the other is still my spare and good enough to limp home on. With folks having to replace even the Kuhmo's because of blowing before 10,000 miles the bias would make good sense if you can find them. The tire I had were 8 ply. I don't remember the model description.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:35 AM

Bill & Karen
Good to hear a first hand report on bias ply ......17,000 miles would be fine with me as opposed to say 40,000 on a dealer stat for radials that still blow early for some. I have to remember your 8 ply rating and maybe give them a shot next time. I have the Kumho's now and after all these reports i am watching them a little closer.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Oct 20 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bill & Karen
Good to hear a first hand report on bias ply ......17,000 miles would be fine with me as opposed to say 40,000 on a dealer stat for radials that still blow early for some. I have to remember your 8 ply rating and maybe give them a shot next time. I have the Kumho's now and after all these reports i am watching them a little closer.
Joe

Joe, The Maxxis Bravo 168N is radial, usually if there is an R after the first number as 205R it is radial.
I did a little research on my UHaul Bias belts that I had. They are made by Goodyear and the description is HGM 2020. The only place I have ever found them and willing to sell them was tire dealers who had contracts to UHaul and lost those contracts and had tires leftover. On one of these site a couple of years ago someone had a post about a place in NC that had these tires but I have not been able to find it. Maybe some Uhaul stores might sell but if they are contracting tire shops for them I'd doubt it. Bill

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#7 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

thanks for the info Bill smile.gif

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#8 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi all,

With so much information on a tire, I'm having trouble finding the date of mfg. Where is the tire date of manufacture located on the sidewall and how is it read?
Anybody got a link?

Thanks,
Kip

Edited by Kip K., 26 December 2010 - 06:24 PM.

In God we Trust!

#9 MMoe

MMoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 318 posts
  • Local time: 03:30 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:59 PM

I have the Goodyear Marathons and was told recently the number on the tire for example... 4807... means the tire was made the 48th week of 2007. Hope this helps some. It is visible on the outside of the tire. I did not know the 'code' to figure this out.
Moe
2009 17' FD (now a FreeSpirit)
2008 Avalanche

#10 Kip K.

Kip K.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 131 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

I have the Goodyear Marathons and was told recently the number on the tire for example... 4807... means the tire was made the 48th week of 2007. Hope this helps some. It is visible on the outside of the tire. I did not know the 'code' to figure this out.

Thanks MMoe,

Your reply prompted a bit more research.

This is good info to have:

"And finally, hold on to your sales receipt. Most tire manufacturer's warranties cover their tires for four years from the date of purchase or five years from the week the tires were manufactured. So if you purchase new tires that were manufactured exactly two years ago they will be covered for a total of six years (four years from the date of purchase) as long as you have your receipt. If you lose your receipt, your tires' warranty coverage will end five years from the week the tire was produced (resulting in the tire manufacturer's warranty coverage ending only three years from the date of purchase in this example)."

http://www.tirerack....e.jsp?techid=11

I'm in the mist of purchasing a very nice 2003 Casita 17 SD. While the tires appear in near perfect condition, I need to check their age. Would rather error on the side of caution. A couple of years old should be Okay. Much over that and new rubber before towing home!

Actually I haven't seen the tires. The seller said they are in excellent condition and I tend to believe him as he is an honorable man. But will need to know the age for sure before towing the trailer a few humdred miles. If they are questionable due to age, I will have new ones installed before starting home. :unsure:

Kip

Edited by Kip K., 27 December 2010 - 07:25 AM.

In God we Trust!

#11 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
    Jan 21 2005

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hi all,

With so much information on a tire, I'm having trouble finding the date of mfg. Where is the tire date of manufacture located on the sidewall and how is it read?
Anybody got a link?

Thanks,
Kip

Where to find the date code:
On the side of the tire you will see some letters "DOT"....just to the right of those letters is an area where they stamp in the date code. They only stamp the date code on one side of the tire so if it is blank after "DOT" you will have to crawl under the vehicle and look for "DOT" on the inside of the tire followed by the date code.

How to read the date code:
Lets say your date code number is 2306 .....that means the date code is read as 23rd week of 2006 the tire was manufactured.
The limit is supposed to be six years of use from the date of manufacture from what i understand.
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4