Geocaching and Casitas

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 peapods

peapods
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Interests:Hiking, geocaching, Scouts, volleyball, tutoring reading; camping, adventuring, mountainbiking! Chihuahuas! Family life, boating on the Sound and Lake Washington.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

Any geocachers out here in Casita Club? There is a huge event cache planned for the Portland, Oregon, area in July. I would love to get input from the Casita Club regarding a location for an event cache "Casita" related. Please post if you're interested in a gathering in the Puget Sound, Washington, area, and if you're already a geocacher (geocaching.com) or interested in this modern orienteering meets perpetual treasure hobby! - peaopds
"I don't work for the frog, but he sure is cute."

Cache In, Trash Out

Geocaching.com

#2 TENELSON99

TENELSON99
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 AM

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:20 AM

We love to geocache! There are several other people on this site that do as well. That would be neat to go to, but we live in Florida. Have fun for us!
Ed, Tammy, & the Girls
17' LD "Travel Bug"
Jeep Liberty
A Liberty towing a Liberty.. coincidence?!?!

#3 peapods

peapods
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, geocaching, Scouts, volleyball, tutoring reading; camping, adventuring, mountainbiking! Chihuahuas! Family life, boating on the Sound and Lake Washington.

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:11 PM

Come out of the wood-work, Casita Club cachers! If you can "show" me that you have ever touched ONE of my travel bugs, I will send you a geocaching.com license plate frame for your Casita. You won't find me under "peapods" but rather under "CameraThyme". E-mail your geocaching.com username to me at "CameraThyme@comcast.net" and the name of the TB you "handled". I will verify, and then make arrangements to send you a frame! :-) peapods
"I don't work for the frog, but he sure is cute."

Cache In, Trash Out

Geocaching.com

#4 treej

treej
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:09 PM

:rofl: I've been Geocaching in southern and central Florida and really enjoy thew challenge. If you haven't tried it, it is a great way to get out and about and you might just find a neat item in a cache. :danc:
Ed in deep So. Fl

#5 Merrill and Diane

Merrill and Diane
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita LD/17 - 2012
  • Casita Club Directory #:999

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:01 AM

We have been camping for only one year so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What is "geocoaching" and how do you get started with it? Diane

#6 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)
  • Casita Club Directory #:1387

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:16 AM

:rofl: Merrill & Diane
Geocaching is looking for Treasures that have been hidden by other geocachers and you need a GPS to do this it is a great family sport I have done it for a yr now and have what is called a GeoBug that has made it to Switzerland there is many things involved and Jeep has got involved in it now with a contest . here is a link to get information and how to locate caches in your area.
http://www.geocaching.com/
i'm using CT Swamp Yankee as my nick name
I had got my GPS online at wwwgetagps.com at the time was best price I could find for 1 I wanted. Wal-Mart also carry a few they are also good for travel and hiking so as not to get lost
Lindy
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Casita Freedom Deluxe + Mods (A Hillbilly's Heaven)
2006 GMC Envoy Denali (Big Bessy) 5.3L V8 3.42 Rear axle
Prodigy brake controller
My Pictures http://community.web...m/user/lindyw43

#7 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:Casita use and problems? I'm new at camping<br>Yard Work ATVing(Bombardier traxsterMax Xt 2 seater)<br>Yard saleing, Flea Markets Watch Fob Collecting ,US coin collecting, using computer <br>Target shooting Pistols and Rifles Shooting Range in back yard<br>I'm a retired Teamster (CF road Driver)

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:34 AM

:rofl: Merrill & Diane
Here is a link to my Cache
http://www.geocachin...dd-1e8608d7137a
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Prodigy brake controller

#8 Merrill and Diane

Merrill and Diane
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita LD/17 - 2012
  • Casita Club Directory #:999

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:16 AM

Lindy - thanks for the info. Sounds like we need to get a GPS. I have one that came with my car but don't have one in the tow vehicle. Merrill has had a GPS on his wish list since we bought his truck. Guess it's time to give him the go ahead on the GPS. Thanks again, Diane

#9 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

Any Time Diane
I have the Magellan Meridian Color and it has a good size screen for these old eyes to see Draw back on color is batteries die 2 to 3 hrs but I got a charger and rechargable batteries with mine from www.getagps.com
and a mount and belt carrier,Cigarette adapter and came with a computer hookup cable to do updates and other functions.Also use it on my ATV :rofl:
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Prodigy brake controller

#10 Glendo

Glendo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:56 AM

I have been wanting to get into geocaching. I am in NoCal. As soon as I get a GPS I will get in contact so I can learn more and discover!

Glendo in Chico

#11 Chris B

Chris B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 466 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:17 PM

We've done geocaching, but we haven't been in about three months. I need to unload three travel bugs this weekend as I have kept them WAY too long. Can't make it to northwest this time, but have fun. Geocaching is a great way to get out and see things that you have never seen before. There's lots to see in your own backyard.

Chris
Chris B
'03 17' Liberty Deluxe
2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Southern California (Orange County)

#12 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

:o Well After 13 months of Sitting my Travel Bug in Switzterland was picked up and is on the move only problem is can't read info as its in Foriegn Language :P here is Link Can anyone translate for me ?
http://www.geocachin...s.aspx?id=50363
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Prodigy brake controller

#13 Bob Hunt #1006

Bob Hunt #1006
  • Casita Club Member
  • 653 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:#1006

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:55 AM

Lindy, it says, "I will lie the TB into a further cache of that on the way to the sea".

I would suppose the "lie" reallys means "lay".
Bob & Gayle Hunt #1006
(Usta Have)2000 Casita 17' SD
The Worlds 1st All Electric Casita
Founder: Texas Bluebonnet Casita Fest
Heritage Ranch, Fairview,TX
Garmin Nuvi 660 and Big Green Egg

#14 LindyW2

LindyW2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:21 AM

Thanks Bob appreciate the translation . I was so pleased its on the move again as I thought it was gone for ever I like to follow it as well as many others in there trips :(
For those not Familar with this here is the Link again
http://www.geocaching.com/

Here is another cache page in Texas to give you an Idea of how big this sport is
http://www.geocachin...d=44&submit2=GO
Lindy & Sharon CC #1387
Prodigy brake controller