underbed storage

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 richard.m

richard.m
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 AM
  • Interests:fly fishing, fly tying, canoeing and kayaking, backpacking and canoe tripping. and of course Casita camping. my wife, Donna, and i are both retired and enjoy the outdoors.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

Any ideas about underbed storage would be appreciated. We've tried two shallow underbed-sized (6" high each) plastic storage bins for our extra clothing, but we have to stack them since they're too wide to place side-by-side under the bed in our 2007 17' LD. This gets a little inconvenient to have to drag both boxes out if you need to get to the lower one. We've checked out plastic stacking drawer systems at Target and Wal-Mart, but two of them stacked are too tall for the space.

Would love to find two decent-sized baskets or bins that are fairly long and deep, but narrow enough to set side-by-side under the bed. Have also considered getting a single extra-large bin, and somehow placing a divider down the middle.

Richard & Donna
2007 Liberty Deluxe
2000 Toyota 4-Runner
Asheville, NC

#2 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,849 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

Granted ours is a Scamp, but we found that one Xmas storage bin (for a Xmas tree I believe) which is a little more narrow and a regular under the bed long storage bin work where two of the long bins were too wide. The Xmas bin is longer, we use a 3rd small bin which fits in front of the wide bin.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#3 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

Underbed storage-I have tried about everything, even to buying many of those Rubbermaid containers,using them for a while then changing. I have had luck with plastic milk crates, though, two of which will fit on both sides of the protrusion flanges on the floor and tabletop for the post when the table is set up. The ones furthest to the rear I reach in and hook with a half of a caribou horn and slide out towards me. I also use the caribou horn as a handy back scratcher.
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#4 davidandrachelf

davidandrachelf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

My wife purchased one of those storeage things that you hang in the closet and it has 6 compartments for sweaters or shoes to go in. It is cloth with some stiffeners in each compartment and folds like an accordian. Well, she puts her clothes and things in the compartments and lays it flat on the floor with the openings facing up and slides it under the bed. Just slide it out to get to things. Only concession we had to make was removing the loose rug on the carpet to let it slide out. So far it seems real handy. Recommend putting it on the left side away from the electric box. It is inexpensive and functions well. biggrin.gif
1999 Casita SD
1999 Ford F-250 Diesel

#5 Jim & Beverly

Jim & Beverly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

We purchased two totes made by Rubbermaid that fit perfectly under our bed. They measure 12.5" high by 14.5" wide by 30" long and these measurements are with the lid attached. The lid is slightly domed also. The model number is 415 D Cav.1 as marked on the bottom of the box and the lid is marked 415C-1. I would not know where you can find these containers since we happened to stumble upon them in a Gibson's store in Kerrville TX a couple of years ago. My wife thinks that they have been discontinued but you never know what you can find if you hunt hard enough. They have really came in handy in our camping travels. They are just long enough that we can reach them with our hands and wide enough to fit flush side by side.
Good luck in locating them,
Jim
Jim & Beverly
Bandera, TX
"Egg picked up 17SD June 21st, 2007"
2002 3/4 ton Chevrolet 4X4
[font=Arial][size=3]

#6 jvwands

jvwands
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

Look at the posting marked "new curtains/hardware and other mods posted Sept 9,09." They have under bed storage baskets.

Edited by jvwands, 12 October 2009 - 04:40 PM.

John and Betty
'ROADRUNNER"
Mesa, Az
Member 1763

#7 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

We use 2 plastic boxes that JoAnn's fabrics used to sell, I believe made by sterilite that measured about 12"X12"X42 " long and 2 of them slide side by side under the bed. They came with hinged covers with hinge in the midde of the length but didn't last long When the wider ones are used you have no place to stand while you retrieve anything from the box. The 2 long skinny boxes allow you to stand beside them and hold a bunch of stuff. This was a big topic back about 2004-2006 on the Casita Forum, go to forum and use the word "JoAnna" in the search feature, then the storage boxes title will come up. I couldn't get the link to work

Attached Thumbnails

• 16_Gallon_Hinged_Lid_Box_4864633.jpg

Edited by Bill & Karen, 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,771 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

JoAnn's discontinued the Sterilite storage bins about two years ago. I thought Rubbermaid offered something similar, but I'm not finding it on their website.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,771 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

Duplicate post. Computer hiccupping. Sorry.

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 13 October 2009 - 12:20 AM.

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#10 CC-John

CC-John
  • Casita Club Member
  • 326 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17SD

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:53 AM

The "JoAnn's" box was manufactured by Akro-Mils under the name "KeepBox 16 gallon Hinged lid container".. The same box is also sold as a "KreepBox Halloween storage container".. Unfortunately they are only shown as a "made to order" item..

For those that may want to search out old inventory at retailers, here's the model and UPC code for both containers..

KeepBox
Model# 64272CLDBL
UPC# 032903683035

KreepBox
Model# 64272ORBLK
UPC# 032903001754

The RubberMaid container referenced in a previous post has been discontinued.. There is some inventory still left at Ace Hardware Outlet, you will have to purchase a carton of six containers though..

RubberMaid 16 Gallon Cargo Tote
Model# 4151-OOCLR

Hope this helps..
CC-John

#11 nancentina

nancentina
  • Casita Club Member
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hi again Donna,

Forgive me if this is a repeat, but I'm not sure if you got my PM, but anyway:

The space under my bed measures about 28.5" wide, 33.5" deep, and about 13" high.

I have two "seagrass" baskets, side by side, which I purchased from Cost Plus World Market. They're about 13.75" wide, 17.75" deep, and 11" high.

Nan

Attached Thumbnails

• 3886498987_81b32e2637.jpg

1993 16' SD

#12 Swisstrip02

Swisstrip02
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:52 AM

My wife and I tried out a new storage system this last week end at the NOG at L. L. Stub Stewart SP in Oregon, and were very pleased with it. We bought 6 Rubbermaid storage boxes, 17"L x 13"W x 12" High. We drilled two holes about 3" apart, near the top of one end in two of the six boxes. The holes allowed us to pass a 1/4" rope into one hole and back out through the other hole. Tied a knot in rope, cut long end just long enough to reach from the back of the storage space to the front edge of the bed, which is queen sized, 60" wide. The two roped boxes went under the bed, (which we leave made up at all times), side-by-side, leaving a space between them wide enough to store the table "post".

Two of the remaining four boxes were pushed under the bed on one side, pushing the roped box on that side to the far (back) end of the under-bed space. The remaining two boxes were pushed under the bed on the other side of the storage space, which pushed the other roped box to the far back.

Any of the boxes can be accessed by simply pulling on one or the other of the two ropes, since the ropes are attached to the farthest back boxes.

We now keep foodstuffs for breakfast, lunch and dinner in separate boxes on one side of the space, and clothing for each of us in the front two boxes on the other side of the storage space. Currently, we have not decided what to put in the second roped box.

We actually learned this trick from our years with a 35' power boat which had a storage hold the width of the beam (about 10 feet), but was less than 3 feet high. Without the roped back bin in each row, we would have had to crawl 3 to 5 feet back in the hold to access anything ;-(

As an aside, the 12" tall storage boxes were low enough for me to mount channels on the underside of the bed board to store the small table top when not in use, but the storage boxes can be extracted for use without interfering with the stored table top. Now all I have to do is make some sort of a safety "stop" for the table top so it does not slide out of its storage onto the floor when we brake for a stop ;-(

Swisstrip02
  • Eileen likes this

#13 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:22 AM

I think we have the same boxes as Jim and Beverly. There are a holes in the handle area and we have also put thick string in the holes and use them to pull the boxes forward when we need them. We store things in there we don't need to access a lot. We keep our CPAPs on the floor right in front with an outlet strip we switch on and off for our machines at night.

#14 Whit and Selma

Whit and Selma
  • Casita Club Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

We have been using a softsided modular system that is the same as the Mountainsmith Modular Hauler 4 system.

http://tiny.cc/fPNEo

If we are going on a short trip of 2 weeks or less, we use one Modular 4 system and use 2 of the cubes for each of us. If we are going for a longer trip or feel the need to have some extra stuff with us, we'll use a second system.

Because they are all soft sided it is more flexible for packing. We slide them under our bed at night and just pull the whole thing out and let it sit on the bed during the day.

We actually bought a "knock off" model at G.I. Joes before they went out of business. You might be able to find these at Dick's, Big 5, or online.

We tried plastic boxes of all kinds and are convinced the soft sided modules are the best solution.

Whit

Whit & Selma
Newport, Oregon

2011 Ever•Lite 27RB
2007 Chev Crewcab 2500HD 6 liter
2004 Seaward Passat g3

#15 Sherry

Sherry
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (richard.m @ Oct 12 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any ideas about underbed storage would be appreciated. We've tried two shallow underbed-sized (6" high each) plastic storage bins for our extra clothing, but we have to stack them since they're too wide to place side-by-side under the bed in our 2007 17' LD. This gets a little inconvenient to have to drag both boxes out if you need to get to the lower one. We've checked out plastic stacking drawer systems at Target and Wal-Mart, but two of them stacked are too tall for the space.

Would love to find two decent-sized baskets or bins that are fairly long and deep, but narrow enough to set side-by-side under the bed. Have also considered getting a single extra-large bin, and somehow placing a divider down the middle.

I use a low long clear plastic storage bin that has wheels on the back. I also removed the bracket that is attached to the bottom of the table top. This allows for me to slide more outside equipment under there without getting hung up on that bracket, since we will always have that area as a bed only.