• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Discover America, get off the Interstate.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:43 AM

Hi everyone,

Someone spotted my modification on the bumper in my Mississippi Crossing picture. This is about that. Last year while dry camping it took the two of us to get water in the tank, one to hold the jug and the other to hold the homemade funnel. Before we went camping this year I wanted an easier way. I put together 2 spare tire mounts from Harbor Freight ($12.99 each). I had to buy 4 longer bolts to fit the 4 inch square bumper. Mount them horizontally instead of vertically and added a scrape piece of 3/4 inch plywood, you need to cut off one corner and watch your location so the door for filling the fresh water tank will open. Cut a hole in the side of a water bottle, near the bottom, for a funnel. I found the water jug at Walmart, it holds 7 gallons. Put as much water in the jug as you can carry, take it to the trailer, set it on the little table you have just made, open the valve and you can go do something else while it's filling your tank. You get some dripping around the homemade funnel but it's the best solution I've come up with. Hope you like it.

Ted

Attached Thumbnails

• Crossing_the_Mississippi.jpg
  • Casita_Water_001.jpg
  • Casita_Water_002.jpg
  • Casita_Water_003.jpg
  • Casita_Water_005.jpg
  • Crossing_the_Mississippi.jpg

Ted & Cindy 04 17ft FD (Dragon Egg)
2011 Red Mercedes Sprinter 2500 (Dimpled Dragon)
IMG_2969.jpg

#2 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 08:22 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Cut a hole in the side of a water bottle, near the bottom, for a funnel.

EXCELLENT !!!

I seldom dry camp long enough to use more than a tank of water but when I winterize, I'm always improvising a funnel. Thought several times about getting what used to be called an auto-trans funnel with a tube on bottom of funnel but haven't done it yet. I'll try your water battle funnel!!!
Thanks

Edited by Chris Z, 22 September 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#3 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

Ted:

That's a prize winner for thinking 'outside the box'. And your funnel is priceless. wink.gif

clap, clap, clap. APPLAUD, whistle, cheer, clap again, hooooo-rah.

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#4 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 AM

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

biggrin.gif Great idea, looks good, very neat setup. I saw the one at Heron in the late '80s. I used it not only in pickups but also a conversion van. I didn't need it when we got a C-class MH; it got beat up in storage. After getting our Scamp, I started looking for another water tank for the pickup. With the C-class, no place to keep the tank more than not needing it. I did some jerry cans again filling it.

Your method works well & has less stuff to haul around, however with my back, I just do not want to be lifting, even a 5 gal jerry can.

To add more water capacity I have one of these in the back of the Ford F-150, a 26 gal capacity tank. http://www.northernt...37114_200337114

Also comes in a 16 gal size:
http://www.northernt...37116_200337116

A 25 gal size: http://www.northernt...37120_200337120

I order the one I have, due to the limited size of the Ranger's bed. My son has gotten tanks, but different kind, more shape of barrels from Farm & Ranch Supply Companies.

We both use pumps to fill the trailers tanks, but one could use gravity to fill smaller containers. With the Ranger, I had to pump it most of the time, with the F-150 being higher, gravity works very well right into the trailer's filler opening. I didn't even hook up the pump the last couple of times I used it this summer.

It would be a big expense, depending on how often one would need to use the added capacity. ???
We are often not near water, on the road over-nighting or at public campgrounds. Scamp has a smaller tank than Casita as well.

I'd hate to live without my set-up. We use one of these to transfer water: http://www.northernt...970_16832_16832

Your solution was simple, looks good and works. Very cleaver! Very good!

Thanks for sharing. I remember using a bike to transport a jerry can full of water from a water source to the camper, over & over till it was full. Trying to hold it up and get it in the camper was always fun. You killed that problem for sure.

Edited by DesertHawk, 25 September 2009 - 07:20 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#5 stlek

stlek
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:07 AM

i have been using the 16 gal tank that desert hawk mentioned,i got it from northern tool.i run the white hose from the bottom of the 26 gal tank to the hose fitting on the bottom of the casita tank.i carry the tank in the back of a pickup which is higher than the tank in the casita.the water goes in by itself.

http://www.casitaclu...?showtopic=8208

steve and kathy wszolek
05 liberty"The White House"

#6 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (stlek @ Sep 23 2009, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have been using the 16 gal tank that desert hawk mentioned,i got it from northern tool.i run the white hose from the bottom of the 26 gal tank to the hose fitting on the bottom of the casita tank.i carry the tank in the back of a pickup which is higher than the tank in the casita.the water goes in by itself.

Another good solution, I like it a lot and will try that the next time I go dry camping.

IMG_2969.jpg

#7 stlek

stlek
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (tedinkc @ Sep 23 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (stlek @ Sep 23 2009, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another good solution, I like it a lot and will try that the next time I go dry camping.

the only thing i would like to add is when you transfer the water from one tank to the other the hose shoud be full of water.the only time i had trouble getting the water to move is when the hose had air in it.i had to disconnect the hose at the low point (casita)and let the air out then there was no problem.i usually fill the tank at whatever filling station there is and i have a hose valve attached to it to keep it full of water.another thing,you may need a double female hose connection.something like a washing machine hose.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0015AUSTC

Attached Images

• 51hP0XAaguL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

steve and kathy wszolek
05 liberty"The White House"

#8 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

I have a 6 gal. jug to haul water, but I have found that I would rather make two trips with 3 gals in it than one trip with it full. 6 x 8 lbs=48 lbs. That's a lot to haul over much distance, plus lifting it high enough to fill the tank. I am going to buy a Sureflow pump to do the job. We borrowed the Campground Host's pump this summer and it made a world of difference.

Rich

#9 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

Gonna keep this solution in the back of my mind.

We have carried extra gas for years because of 4-wheeling in remote areas and the occasional overnight drive (when open gas stations can be scarce), but the 5 gallon can was getting kinda heavy. We switched to two 2 1/2 gallon containers.

We're thinking there's a lesson there for us- smaller water containers- I'd rather haul two 2 1/2 gallon jugs than one 5 gallon can. Currently we use teamwork to hoist and pour the 6 gallon water container- fortunately, it gets easier at the end of the job. We don't tow with a pick-up, so no place for the mega-sized spare tank.

This year, we only had to refill our tank while camped on 2 occasions. Some year that may be 2 times too many.

Ruth

Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#10 campnagle

campnagle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 701 posts
  • Local time: 04:22 AM
  • Interests:RV-ing, Treasure hunting,Nature walking,Hiking,Biking, doing projects on RV

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

battery transfer pump

sierra transfer pump

Edited by campnagle, 25 September 2009 - 10:16 AM.

Camp Nagle
07 17' LD "MONSOON"
14 Silverado LT 4WD 5.3 V8
GREAT STATE OF ARIZONA

#11 tedinkc

tedinkc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

Nice pump.

IMG_2969.jpg

#12 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,451 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:24 PM

Here is my untested method of adding fresh water when dry camping.

First I built a removable shelf to fit on the spare tire.

P9060004__Large_.JPG P9060006__Large_.JPG

Then I fabricated some " PVC pipe.

P9060007__Large_.JPG

Hopefully now when the collapsible container if filled and lifted up onto the shelf I can open the valve and the water will drain right into the fresh water tank.
P9060003__Large_.JPG

Since I don't like handling the filled collapsible container, I may do as others have done and purchase two 2 gallon hard side containers.

Harold

#13 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

Harold, does your container have an air vent or do you think one would be necessary?
Don

Don & Sherian, 2016 Ford F250 6.2 V8 gas engine, Supercab,

6.75' bed, factory trailer anti-sway, factory trailer brake controller, made in USA
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#14 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,451 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Don @ Sep 6 2010, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harold, does your container have an air vent or do you think one would be necessary?
Don

Don:

It does not need a vent. It collapses as the water drains out.

A better picture and description HERE
I think I would prefer two of THESE hard side containers, even if they do take up more room. We have a seven gallon one, but use it to carry drinking water from home. The hard side ones do have a vent.

Harold

#15 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

i found this pump at Harbor Freight for very little money. I used it this summer and had no problems and it sure saved a lot of lifting of those heavy water jugs. I also used a folding hand truck to roll the jugs from the faucet to our camp. It all worked great.

http://www.harborfre.....ctrical Pumps

It comes with hose fittings and all I bought extra was a couple of plastic hose caps to protect the threads and keep dirt out. It pumps a lot of water and has no trouble with the elevation change from a water jug on the ground to the Casita water inlet. It empties a 6 gallon jug in under 2 minutes.

I don't know how long it will last.

Rich

Edited by Rich & Penny, 10 September 2010 - 05:55 PM.