• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Don B

Don B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

We recently experienced a tire (stem) failure on our original 14 inch Marathon ST tires. Our first trip this year. Casita was kept in covered carport with tires covered and wheels off the ground on stands. We checked tire pressure, 50psi, before leaving and torqued lugs. Our trailer loaded for travel with EMPTY black/grey tanks and only 6 gallon in water tank weighed 3220 lbs (Cat scale). Incident occurred 15 miles from home on Interstate. Speed was less than 65 mph. Considering all the reported problems with Marathon tires and stems, we decided to replace all three tires and wheels upgrading to 15 inch. After discussions with several tire suppliers including Maxxis Trailer Tire Rep (Scott Perkins) at Maxxis International-USA, Suwanee, GA, we decided to go with Maxxis trailer tires. These tires are M8008 ST tires 225/75R/15 - Load Range "E". These 10 ply tires are rated to carry 2830 lbs each at 80 psi. We plan to inflate to 65 psi. At this pressure tires are rated to carry 2540 lbs which is adequate for our Casita. A good ($) source for this tire is Gripston Tires in Dallas, TX. (www.Gripston.com). Cost each tire, $122.25 with FREE shipping and NO sales tax if outside TX. A good source for 15x6 wheels that match TIRE load weight is the 15 inch Aluminum Spoke star TRAILER wheel, 5/4.5 inch lug, pattern offered by Rick's Tire and Wheel, Idaho. (www.ricks-tire.com). Cost, $84.95 PLUS shipping but NO sales tax outside ID. We also purchased metal stems and chrome matching lugs nuts from them. Hope this helps. Don smile.gif

#2 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Sounds like a winner, I am assuming you can not get these tires ( M8008 ST tires & Load Range "E" ) in 14" sizes?

Tooo bad, I had a simular problem with 13". Was going to go to 14", but the local tire shop found a 13" tire in same size I was using but not in Goodyear Marathon. http://www.casitaclu...showtopic=13254

Greenbell Tires-----made in China. Were your Maxxis made somewhere not China?

Thanks! Hope it all works out for you, and for me as well. Ha!

See how they last is all I can do, except go ahead and go 14" like you did to 15". My Scamp will not take 15s, I am sure.

I am just too frugal to do so, I know…..CHEAP. What can I say? My family legend is having some Scot ancestry. It pops out like that now and again. Just can’t help myself. sad.gif

Thanks for passing it along.

Edited by DesertHawk, 01 September 2009 - 03:31 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#3 Don B

Don B
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Sep 1 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like a winner, I am assuming you can not get these tires ( M8008 ST tires & Load Range "E" ) in 14" sizes?

Tooo bad, I had a simular problem with 13". Was going to go to 14", but the local tire shop found a 13" tire in same size I was using but not in Goodyear Marathon. http://www.casitaclu...showtopic=13254

See how they last is all I can do, except go ahead and go 14" like you did to 15". My Scamp will not take 15s, I am sure.

I am just too frugal to do so, I know…..CHEAP. What can I say? My family legend is having some Scot ancestry. It pops out like that now and again. Just can't help myself. sad.gif

Deserthawk, Have not seen Maxxis 8008 10 ply tires for 14 inch wheels. Rand (other forum, category "Underneath") had 14 inch alum. star wheels and bought 15 inch alum. star wheels for his 8008 8 ply Maxxis tires. I was told by Maxxis tire rep that 8008 10-ply tires were made in Thailand, but I wouldn't bet on it as they have plants in China and other countries. I will try to look up tire codes for country of origin (manufacture) and if successful will post. Don

Edited by Eric Mayer, 04 September 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#4 Larry Lecuyer

Larry Lecuyer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (Don B @ Sep 3 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (DesertHawk @ Sep 1 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just too frugal to do so, I know…..CHEAP. What can I say? My family legend is having some Scot ancestry. It pops out like that now and again. Just can't help myself. sad.gif

Deserthawk, Have not seen Maxxis 8008 10 ply tires for 14 inch wheels. Rand (other forum, category "Underneath") had 14 inch alum. star wheels and bought 15 inch alum. star wheels for his 8008 8 ply Maxxis tires. I was told by Maxxis tire rep that 8008 10-ply tires were made in Thailand, but I wouldn't bet on it as they have plants in China and other countries. I will try to look up tire codes for country of origin (manufacture) and if successful will post. Don

Maxxis tires are made in Thailand, per the sidewall markings of my ST8008, 15" 10 ply's.

#5 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 256 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:38 AM

I'm copying this over from a previous reply:

Hopefully my tire problems are overwith.

I went to RWA Tire shop in Rapid City and they were able to find me two 15 x 6x4.5 rims and they had one in stock.

They also had MAXXIS M8008 tires so I have a "D" at 225 75R15 mounted on the drivers side and an "E" mounted on the curb side or the heavy side of my Liberty Deluxe. This should give me plenty of tire insurance I would think. However they are trailer tires. They did not have commercial tires in that size.

Hopefully my vacation will continue as planned without anymore mishaps.

The second blowout of my (spare) Marathon was a tire defect. The new tread actually stripped right off the tire after about 300 miles driving, was still attached, and beat the side of my trailer and stripped off the GFI socket cover caps. I put a new one on from Lowe's.

I'm running the "D" load tire at about 60 psi and the "E" load tire at about 75 as recommended by the dealer. The fact you can adjust the psi by load on this tire is nice as you don't have to worry so much about being underinflated and never be overinflated. Of course this is no excuse for not constantly checking tire pressure.

I feel absolute relief now.

Edited by Irishrover, 13 September 2009 - 06:41 AM.

James in Ohio
2006 Casita 17' LD, High Lift Axle, all add ons 'cept electric jack, Front Air
2003 GMC Safari
or
2013 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500

#6 Bob Bucy

Bob Bucy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • Interests:Travel via Casita or Motorcycle.<br />Computers, but that is what I do for a living, so I'd rather be traveling in our Casita.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:15 AM

Don, Thank you very much for the very informative post!!! I haven't been very active on the forum, but having some tire issues I decided to do a quick search and bingo just the information I needed complete and concise. biggrin.gif

Traveled between Texas and Nebraska over labor day, tire blew on the way up, tire blew on the way back. Can't really fault the tires, they where almost 3 years old and I was doing 70+-. But hey, I'm done with the 14's, moving up to 15 inch.

Thanks again, bob

#7 amadorj

amadorj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:GO RAIDERS!!!

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info Don. I broke down and went with the 15 inch aluminum rims and tires (225 75R 15) Michelin LTX M/S. Got em on the trailer now and just about ready to take them for a spin. They look great. Will post a picture when I get a moment.

-Jesse in ABQ cool.gif

Jesse & Rhonda Amador
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2004 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe
2008 Nissan Titan Pro4X
...the ox is slow but the earth is patient

#8 Chace

Chace
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

Has anyone tried 15 inch wheels with the standard height axle? I have a 2004 17SD and this was built before the high lift axle option was available. Tire Rack lists a Continental Vanco2 Light Truck tire that is 225/70R15 tire in a load range D (2271 lbs at 65 psi).
the diameter is not shown in the Continental specs, but other brands of this size tire show a diameter of 27.4 inches. This is very close to the Kumho 205R14 diameter of 27 inches that people run with their standard height axles.

Anyone try this or any other 15 inch tires with the standard axle?

#9 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (Chace @ Dec 9 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried 15 inch wheels with the standard height axle? I have a 2004 17SD and this was built before the high lift axle option was available. Tire Rack lists a Continental Vanco2 Light Truck tire that is 225/70R15 tire in a load range D (2271 lbs at 65 psi).
the diameter is not shown in the Continental specs, but other brands of this size tire show a diameter of 27.4 inches. This is very close to the Kumho 205R14 diameter of 27 inches that people run with their standard height axles.

Anyone try this or any other 15 inch tires with the standard axle?

Chase..... I got this information from another poster on this forum and their formula worked when i tried it out with my own trailer..... hope it helps for you.
Joe

For those considering a switch to 15" wheels and tires, and wonder if they will fit, you might be surprised to hear that many 15" tires are SMALLER the 14" tires you are replacing.

It's the outside diameter that counts, not the wheel size, which is fairly irrelevant.

To calculate the overall diameter in inches, just multiply the tire width (like "215" in a 215-75-15) times the aspect ratio of the tire (.75 in our test case) times two, and then divide by 25.4 (since tires are metric, and we want the results in inches), then add the wheel diameter (15" in our case). The answer for this example is 27.7" diameter.

Do the same for whatever tire you now have on your trailer, and see how much space you have between your present tire and the closest wheel well edge. In the case of someone using a Kumho 205R14C, which is an "80 Series" tire, the calculated diameter is 27.95".

The calculated diameter may vary from the actual diameter due to inflation pressure and manufacturer differences (different brands or tread designs of the same "size" may vary slightly by 3% or so).

• getarmbruster likes this

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Dec 10 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got this information from another poster on this forum and their formula worked when i tried it out with my own trailer..... hope it helps for you.
Joe

Hey Joe --

Who was the original poster? I'm sure they'd appreciate seeing their name in lights here along with your nice pat on the back for a winning formula. smile.gif

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 10 December 2009 - 08:22 AM.

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#11 DirtDawg

DirtDawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 312 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Dec 10 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who was the original poster?

It wasn't me, but that information and more is available online in Tire Rack's tech library and similar websites. On the linked page, check out other related subjects in the drop-down menu (such as load rating) that are worth bookmarking for future reference.

"DirtDawg" Jeff
Payson, AZ

2011 Lance 1685 - DawgHouse III

2010 17 SD - DawgHouse II (sold)
2014 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 6.2L
2000 Jeep "TJ" Wrangler

#12 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Dec 10 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Dec 10 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got this information from another poster on this forum and their formula worked when i tried it out with my own trailer..... hope it helps for you.
Joe

Hey Joe --

Who was the original poster? I'm sure they'd appreciate seeing their name in lights here along with your nice pat on the back for a winning formula. smile.gif

Eileen

Hi Eileen
That formula really works out well and i even got pm'd on it. The credit should go to Bobinyelm for the original posting.... you can bet i will even take some odd tires i have laying around to further test this formula but so far so good
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#13 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Don, Those are exactly the tires we bought last spring for our 17' SD, 225 x 75 15 10 ply, series E. We put them on steel wheels that are rated at 2600# (I believe that is the correct figure). I was able to sell my original Goodyears to a guy who wanted them for his ATV trailer. He got all three for $75. I got the 10 ply's after reading a post on this site from and Alaska traveler who said he always manage to tear up tires until he got those 10 ply Maxis's. I took his word for it and bought them. I got them from Big O tires. That's another reason I didn't get Kumho's, I want a tire that will be available without special ordering and waiting.

Rich

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ Dec 10 2009, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<snip>For those considering a switch to 15" wheels and tires, and wonder if they will fit, you might be surprised to hear that many 15" tires are SMALLER the 14" tires you are replacing.

It's the outside diameter that counts, not the wheel size, which is fairly irrelevant.

To calculate the overall diameter in inches, just multiply the tire width (like "215" in a 215-75-15) times the aspect ratio of the tire (.75 in our test case) times two, and then divide by 25.4 (since tires are metric, and we want the results in inches), then add the wheel diameter (15" in our case). The answer for this example is 27.7" diameter.

Do the same for whatever tire you now have on your trailer, and see how much space you have between your present tire and the closest wheel well edge. In the case of someone using a Kumho 205R14C, which is an "80 Series" tire, the calculated diameter is 27.95".

The calculated diameter may vary from the actual diameter due to inflation pressure and manufacturer differences (different brands or tread designs of the same "size" may vary slightly by 3% or so).

Joe, help me out here.

I derived the following from your text:

W = Width
A = Aspect
WD = Wheel Diameter
OD = Overall Diamater

((W x A x 2) / 25.4) + WD = OD

Using that formula I was able to reproduce your result of an OD of 27.7 when given a 215-75-15 tire.

((215 x .75 x 2) / 25.4) + 15 = 27.69685

However I was not able to reproduce your result of an OD of 27.95 when given a 205-80-15 tire.

((205 x .80 x 2) / 25.4) + 14 = 26.91338

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks - Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

However I was not able to reproduce your result of an OD of 27.95 when given a 205-80-15 tire.

((205 x .80 x 2) / 25.4) + 14 = 26.91338

What am I doing wrong?

Should it be 15 and not 14?