• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nmcasita

nmcasita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 02:26 AM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

I have a leak at the fan. I've put some silicon around the seal of the fan and it still leaks. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,
Carla

#2 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 03:26 AM
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:14 AM

"I have a leak at the fan. I've put some silicon around the seal of the fan and it still leaks. Does anyone have any advice?"

Sure hope someone has some insight into this problem. We have had a leak for the past two years. It drips from the front side of the fan mount. I've put sealant, first around the front, and over time around the entire fan on the roof side. Each time I think I've got it stopped, the next time its out in the rain.... drip drip. Since the Casita lives under cover or inside when not on the road, it hasn't been much of a problem, other than it will get a towel on the floor under the vent nice and wet when it rains when we are out. I'm about ready to haul it back to Casita and let them do something.

Jim
2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:45 AM

It could be a few different things:
Try taking the screws out of the decorative cover on the inside remove that cover and look where the mounting screws go up into the ceiling and see if you can simply tighten them a little bit..... not too much as you may strip it. (do not put silicone in there)

If you don't have a Maxx Aire cover there could be a crack in the crank up clear cover (sometimes they crack where the inside rod pushes it up) or the framework outside may have a small crack in it..... use a magnifying glass for the outside framework.

You may have to completely take the fantastic fan out clean off all that silicone and re-install a new gasket (or use butyl tape)and put it back in place.

Hopefully it's just my first suggestion..... there may be other suggestions that i haven't thought about and someone will chime in with.

Joe biggrin.gif

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 05:26 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

http://www.fantastic...to_install.html

Maybe this will help but I never looked at mine real close. Not sure about what Joe is saying about mounting screws go up. Looks like they come down from outside????
Maybe Casita is a little different??
Must be a way to tighten the gasket or else replace.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#5 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:05 AM

Chris....
I'm not too sure which way the screws go as i never took mine apart and it may be from the top down.... Hmmm! Maybe water is getting in thru those screws. really hard to diagnose without seeing it. That is really a good fantastic fan install link you sent
Joe biggrin.gif

Edited by wrkn2mch, 28 August 2009 - 05:08 AM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#6 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 04:26 AM

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

The fantastic fan is mounted with screws from the outside 'downward'. As shown in the factory installation photos, there are several screws.

Except on Casitas where the factory uses rivets instead of screws. Screws intended to work best on 'stick built' trailers.

The rivets can be removed/replaced, but not 'tightened'.

Sometimes drilling out an old rivet and replacing it will allow a tighter 'squeeze' on the gasket if you remove/replace one before moving to another. Or, if you can tell when the rivet is getting tight, but before the stem breaks off, stop, and move to the next rivet. Go all round the vent frame so that all the rivets are 'snug' then go around again with the final squeeze that breaks the stem. Then dab over the rivet head(s) with silicon. This would be easier than removing the fantastic fan and 'might' work?! However, you've gotta be good at drilling off the rivet head without wallering out the hole!!!

The gasket shown in the factory installation photo is what does (or 'should' do) the sealing, not so much the silicon bead. The gasket is a fairly thick, cushiony closed cell material that gets 'squeezed' when installed and usually seals good if properly installed.

Sure, if you get enough silicon smeared around, it'll probably not leak, but in this case dabbing on the silicon is like putting on suspenders after you've latched your belt. If your trousers still fall down, it's time to see what the matter is. laugh.gif

However, removing the fantastic fan, scraping things clean, and installing a new gasket is time consuming and not real easy. But like so many things not doing the repair 'right' can lead to more costly damage in the future. Leaks are like cancer to a Casita.

A new gasket is expensive, but worth every penny. Usta be about $15.

Edited by Don in OKC, 29 August 2009 - 11:23 AM.

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#7 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Local time: 05:26 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

Don
Sure sounds like the voice of experience.
Question: Not real familiar with those Max-air covers or the other names but would those be of any solution here? I'm guessing probably not and those would only fix a cracked lid or something. (those things don't extend beyond the outside flange?)

Chris
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe