27 replies to this topic

#16 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Barbara McCurry @ Oct 7 2009, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do I get in touch with Susan. I would like to purchase a wind screen from her

Look up RX in the forum direcrory and send her a PM.

Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#17 hound driver

hound driver
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:13 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Hello there, what is the size of an awning on a casita 17ft.?   thank you for your help  Ron

#18 dfield

dfield
  • Casita Club Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

My solution:

umbrella1.jpg

I got the Market Umbrella on sale for $90 at Sam's Club (end of the Summer). It shades two of the windows and part of the roof. It seems to have cut my Summer A/C bill by about 15%.

#19 Steve Welch

Steve Welch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17'

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Fred & Joy @ Aug 22 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those that have installed awnings on their Casita, what awning brand did you buy? Is it necessare to purchase a Casita awning or can a regular house awning be used? What are the difficulties in attaching the awning? Did you have it professionally done, or is it easily a DIY project?

Thanks,

Joy & Fred

joy5528@aol.com

Sorry I don't have answers - but I do have a related question. I am not anxious to make holes in the "egg shell" so I wonder if there are some super glues available which might work for attaching an awning? My past experience with house awnings suggests to me that they wouldn't work "out of the box." It would probably take extensive mods to the awning to make it work properly. I HAVE had a ZipDee awning which I loved - great product. But how to attach it to a Casita?

Mike and Patty
atherton42@Yahoo.com
2006 17'
F-250 Diesel (overkill anim_bannana.gif )

Hello, there is a company that specializes in adhesive bonded fastening systems, Click Bond, Inc. that are used mostly by aviation manufacturers like Boeing and Lockheed Martin.  They do have a consumer outlet called The Flight Shop   (www.theflightshop.com) that is located in Utah.  I am planning on using their adhesively bonded studs for installing an awning on my Casita and recommend the use of the CB420 adhesive.  The bonded stud with this adhesive is strong and resistant to moisture and fuel oils.  Proper  preparation is a must when making the stud attachment and the adhesive must be fresh (no older than 6 months).  Each stud comes with a fixture that holds the stud in place during installation and provides the necessary adhesive squeez out to help promote a strong bond.  The bond strength is in excess of 2500 psi after cure and the installation life is in excess of 25 years.  The result is an installation that doesn't penetrate the structure but holds strong.

#20 Steve Welch

Steve Welch
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Delux 17'

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

Without a doubt, one of the best awnings on the market (assuming you want one) is the Dometic/Horizon model that Casita installs. It's one of few RV awnings that stores in a can out of reach of UV and other elements. It can be sourced from Casita or other RV dealers and the brackets can be purchased from Casita only. For those within driving distance, Casita will install them as well. For folks that are too far away, have your technician talk to Casita Service and they'll guide your tech thru the process. It's certainly not the cheapest awning on the market, but the quality is there for sure. Contact Susan (RX on this forum) for her tie downs. In my opinion they're mandatory. Some years ago at a rally, I watched quite a few awnings with her tie downs survive gusts in excess of 40 mph.

While I certainly understand aprehension and respect personal preferences, I personally have no problem with additional holes in the Casita. Depending on the year and the model, they came from the factory with 175 to 250 holes already. 3M 5200 sealant is the trick to sealing all penetrations permanently.

Larry

Hello Larry,

You can avoid the additional holes by using Click Bond adhesive bonded fasteners that bond to the surface of your Casita.  They can be obtained at www.theflightshop.com   I recommend the CB420 adhesive for making the attachment.  The Flight Shop can provide you with all the installation materials necessary to make a strong secure attachment that will last over 25 years.

Steve Welch

Spirit Delux 17'

Edited by Steve Welch, 21 September 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#21 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

Without a doubt, one of the best awnings on the market (assuming you want one) is the Dometic/Horizon model that Casita installs. It's one of few RV awnings that stores in a can out of reach of UV and other elements. It can be sourced from Casita or other RV dealers and the brackets can be purchased from Casita only. For those within driving distance, Casita will install them as well. For folks that are too far away, have your technician talk to Casita Service and they'll guide your tech thru the process. It's certainly not the cheapest awning on the market, but the quality is there for sure. Contact Susan (RX on this forum) for her tie downs. In my opinion they're mandatory. Some years ago at a rally, I watched quite a few awnings with her tie downs survive gusts in excess of 40 mph.

While I certainly understand aprehension and respect personal preferences, I personally have no problem with additional holes in the Casita. Depending on the year and the model, they came from the factory with 175 to 250 holes already. 3M 5200 sealant is the trick to sealing all penetrations permanently.

Larry

Hello Larry,

You can avoid the additional holes by using Click Bond adhesive bonded fasteners that bond to the surface of your Casita.  They can be obtained at www.theflightshop.com   I recommend the CB420 adhesive for making the attachment.  The Flight Shop can provide you with all the installation materials necessary to make a strong secure attachment that will last over 25 years.

Steve Welch

Spirit Delux 17'

Larry doesn't visit this forum any more. Most of the awnings are installed at the factory. 

You might have a better way to attach the awning, however, Casita Industries is VERY slow at making changes and adopting new methods. 

The adhesive you mentions sounds interesting. I would think the curve of the Casitas outer shell adds an additional detention and challenge for attachment

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#22 trainman

trainman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Independence Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Site Seeing, Eating, Model Trains, Exploring New Areas, Enjoy Company With Friends
  • Trailer Name:The Caboose

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:26 AM

We ordered our new Independence last week 9-21-2017 an we opted not to order an awning. Probably the biggest reason is I didn't want that hanging on my trailer and didn't want holes drilled in my roof. I don't want to get into all the pros and cons of an awing, I've read them all. We personally thought a nice stand alone screened in shelter like the CLAM would be more to our liking and serve our needs better. 

trainman

#23 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 988 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

We ordered our new Independence last week 9-21-2017 an we opted not to order an awning. Probably the biggest reason is I didn't want that hanging on my trailer and didn't want holes drilled in my roof. I don't want to get into all the pros and cons of an awing, I've read them all. We personally thought a nice stand alone screened in shelter like the CLAM would be more to our liking and serve our needs better. 

trainman

Personally, I think you'll be very happy with your decision. I got rid of my awning and I also have the Clam screen enclosure which we love. IMO, the trailer looks much cleaner and more streamlined and symmetrical without the awning. Enjoy your new Cassie!

Keder Rail1.JPG

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#24 trainman

trainman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 37 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Independence Delux
  • Interests:Hiking, Site Seeing, Eating, Model Trains, Exploring New Areas, Enjoy Company With Friends
  • Trailer Name:The Caboose

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:25 AM

trainman

Personally, I think you'll be very happy with your decision. I got rid of my awning and I also have the Clam screen enclosure which we love. IMO, the trailer looks much cleaner and more streamlined and symmetrical without the awning. Enjoy your new Cassie!

attachicon.gifKeder Rail1.JPG

I'm thinking on the same lines as you, drilling in fiberglass, added hang-on weight, and road vibrations over a long period of time, just doesn't workout. Plus the streamlined look of the trailer is much more appealing as you said.

trainman

#25 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 75 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Another option is old school rope and pole awnings - no holes - just 3m tape and we camp ALOT

Attached Thumbnails

• post-15131-0-50384900-1467419504.jpg
  • post-15131-0-74623700-1467419432.jpg
  • post-15131-0-78253800-1467419455.jpg

• danarjensen likes this

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#26 stratos175

stratos175
  • Casita Club Member
  • 212 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit
  • Interests:hiking, kayaking, disc golf and spending time in in our Casita.
  • Trailer Name:Matilda

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

We have it all, our Matilda had an awning when we bought it, i also have a portable pop up awning and we have a bug room. Since all we get to do now is shorter 3-4 night trips we take what we think we need or want to use for that trip. The only complaint I would have about the awning attached is keeping it clean  and you really need to be sure to get all the pine needles and other debris off the top of it before you wind it back up. As far as bug rooms I know many people are sold on the Clam and we have another brand that does the same thing but is smaller but most of the time I take a bug room we got at Academy sports that I like because its bigger and to me its like putting up a tent so not to difficult and I can do it by myself.

Safe travels,

Steve

#27 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

I use a dust mop on an extendable pole to clean off the awning (and the Clam) before we stow them away. Then, when we get home, I deploy them in order to let them dry off (if they were dewed on) and do one more cleaning. That cleaning involves using a hand vacuum to suck up the needles, etc that were trapped in the channels of the awning (and the ground panels of the Clam) before I roll up the awning for good.

I admit that being awning less, like Euphorias neat little Sooper Dooper Deluxe, does make for a cleaner picture of the Casita. But I like having the awning anyway. And some campgrounds will not allow one to put up a tarp or a clothes line, anything that involves ropes and is not physically attached to the camper. Every time that has happened it's been in a ritzy RV 'parking lot' (I can't see why they call them 'campgrounds' when it's basically a paved parking lot with a strip of grass between 'sites'. Honestly, the managers seem to have an anal Home Owners Association mindset) , where they're more worried about appearances than it being a camping experience.

• Euphoria and NASA42 B like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#28 TheAncient

TheAncient
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit/17

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

I just wanted to update some info on the subject of awnings.  We have a 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe and have a Fiamma awning installed for the patio area and love it.  Would not camp with out it.  We have Carefree of Colorado Awnings installed on the side windows (drivers side).  Another must have. These awning were installed by Little House Customs in East Texas.  We live in Florida and needed some work done on one shade (not a product issue).  Found and excellent awning man in Tampa, FL by the name of David Jones (RV Awnings / Under the Sun).  Highly recommend him.  One nice thing is he also specializes in Hard to Find of Obsolete Awning parts.