27 replies to this topic

#1 Fred & Joy

Fred & Joy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:5849

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

For those that have installed awnings on their Casita, what awning brand did you buy? Is it necessare to purchase a Casita awning or can a regular house awning be used? What are the difficulties in attaching the awning? Did you have it professionally done, or is it easily a DIY project?

Thanks,

Joy & Fred

joy5528@aol.com

#2 mike atherton

mike atherton
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2006 Spirit 17'

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (Fred & Joy @ Aug 22 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those that have installed awnings on their Casita, what awning brand did you buy? Is it necessare to purchase a Casita awning or can a regular house awning be used? What are the difficulties in attaching the awning? Did you have it professionally done, or is it easily a DIY project?

Thanks,

Joy & Fred

joy5528@aol.com

Sorry I don't have answers - but I do have a related question. I am not anxious to make holes in the "egg shell" so I wonder if there are some super glues available which might work for attaching an awning? My past experience with house awnings suggests to me that they wouldn't work "out of the box." It would probably take extensive mods to the awning to make it work properly. I HAVE had a ZipDee awning which I loved - great product. But how to attach it to a Casita?

Mike and Patty
atherton42@Yahoo.com
2006 17'
F-250 Diesel (overkill anim_bannana.gif )

#3 G&S

G&S
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 PM
  • Interests:birdwatching

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

We have anwnig and never use it. Make sure you are really going to use it before you buy

#4 Scratch7

Scratch7
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

I HAVE THE BRACKETS TO ATTACH A DOMETIC (HORIZON) AWNING TO A 17FT CASITA,NOW LOOKING FOR THE CRANK OUT HORIZON 10FT.AWNING. I DO THINK A SCREEN ROOM IS A THE WAY TO GO ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE CAMPING WHEN THE BUGS ARE OUT.

#5 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (G&S @ Aug 23 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have anwnig and never use it. Make sure you are really going to use it before you buy

I agree. I have the good Horizon one and have used it only on once, just recently, fishing at Sebastian Inlet under the August sun. I left it up when a storm came up while I was taking a mid day nap and I felt the camper was going to flip over from the wind under the awning and I barely retracted it in time, wet!

I just finished driving across the US S-N, 3/4 of it E-W, then a good 1/2 of Canada before going N-S back to Florida and never felt the need the whole time to extend it. Of course, up there, in more northern latitudes, the summer sun is quite pleasant for a Floridian.

If I had to buy it I would not. If I needed shade I would (and now will) just use a nice silnylon tarp. But, that is me and I know mine is a minority opinion. I certainly was concerned for a moment, though when the wind started to violently shake my camper around because I absentmindedly left the awning out. I can't imagine what the result would have been had i been out fishing the flats in the kayak. I am amazed it held.

Edited by highwayfl, 23 August 2009 - 03:04 PM.

'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#6 lynnj

lynnj
  • Casita Club Member
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Camping <br />Traveling

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Scratch7 @ Aug 23 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HAVE THE BRACKETS TO ATTACH A DOMETIC (HORIZON) AWNING TO A 17FT CASITA,NOW LOOKING FOR THE CRANK OUT HORIZON 10FT.AWNING. I DO THINK A SCREEN ROOM IS A THE WAY TO GO ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE CAMPING WHEN THE BUGS ARE OUT.

Where can I get these brackets ?

Lynn
Lynn & Doris Johnson
East Bend, N C
2003 17 Modified F D
2006 Honda Pilot & 2006 Toyota Tundra

#7 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 669 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:96 17SD

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Without a doubt, one of the best awnings on the market (assuming you want one) is the Dometic/Horizon model that Casita installs. It's one of few RV awnings that stores in a can out of reach of UV and other elements. It can be sourced from Casita or other RV dealers and the brackets can be purchased from Casita only. For those within driving distance, Casita will install them as well. For folks that are too far away, have your technician talk to Casita Service and they'll guide your tech thru the process. It's certainly not the cheapest awning on the market, but the quality is there for sure. Contact Susan (RX on this forum) for her tie downs. In my opinion they're mandatory. Some years ago at a rally, I watched quite a few awnings with her tie downs survive gusts in excess of 40 mph.

While I certainly understand aprehension and respect personal preferences, I personally have no problem with additional holes in the Casita. Depending on the year and the model, they came from the factory with 175 to 250 holes already. 3M 5200 sealant is the trick to sealing all penetrations permanently.

Larry

Edited by Larry & Debbie Gamble, 23 August 2009 - 05:49 PM.

Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

www.LittleHouseCustoms.com

#8 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

Anywhere we stop for more than two days, I always put out the awning.

100_1978__Small_.JPG

Here we are at 2008 Matagorda Madness FGRV Rally.

We consider it our breakfast room/living room/reading room/computer room/quilting room, etc. Take note of the puppies playpen in the background.

Also take note of the wind screen. When this picture was taken the wind was blowing 15, gusting to 20.

I would never own a Casita without and awning.

Just an opposing opinion.

• HeBeGB likes this
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#9 Donna D.

Donna D.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (mike atherton @ Aug 23 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry I don't have answers - but I do have a related question. I am not anxious to make holes in the "egg shell" so I wonder if there are some super glues available which might work for attaching an awning? My past experience with house awnings suggests to me that they wouldn't work "out of the box." It would probably take extensive mods to the awning to make it work properly. I HAVE had a ZipDee awning which I loved - great product. But how to attach it to a Casita?

Mike and Patty
atherton42@Yahoo.com
2006 17'
F-250 Diesel (overkill anim_bannana.gif )

I understand your concern about poking holes, but really it only hurts the first time. I'd be concerned using any kind of glue to hold something as heavy as an awning to the trailer... trailers take quite a beating during travel with hitting potholes and such. AND, what kind of mess would you end up with if it just flat doesn't work to use glue and now you can't get the glue off!?!?

#10 Barbara McCurry

Barbara McCurry
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (cdsmith @ Aug 23 2009, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anywhere we stop for more than two days, I always put out the awning.

100_1978__Small_.JPG

Here we are at 2008 Matagorda Madness FGRV Rally.

We consider it our breakfast room/living room/reading room/computer room/quilting room, etc. Take note of the puppies playpen in the background.

Also take note of the wind screen. When this picture was taken the wind was blowing 15, gusting to 20.

I would never own a Casita without and awning.

Just an opposing opinion.

#11 pbkube

pbkube
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 08:13 PM

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

We bought a used Casita without an awning but want to install one. We've purchased the awning ffrom Faimma and the brackets from Casita. Now we need installation advice. One installer wants to screw the brackets on. Casita supplied rivets. Would screws be better, or worse? Any advice? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks pbkube

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,073 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

One important thing no one has mentioned: tie-down straps. They help prevent the awning from blowing all over creation when a wind decides to kick up. You can see them in Charlie and Joyce's photo above.

I believe Susan (RX) sells them.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 11 September 2009 - 01:26 AM.

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#13 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:01 AM

Joyce and Charlie, I thought for a second I was looking at our set up. We camp under our awning and sleep in our Casita. Terry R

#14 Barbara McCurry

Barbara McCurry
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Sep 11 2009, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One important thing no one has mentioned: tie-down straps. They help prevent the awning from blowing all over creation when a wind decides to kick up. You can see them in Charlie and Joyce's photo above.

I believe Susan (RX) sells them.

Eileen

How do I get in touch with Susan. I would like to purchase a wind screen from her

#15 AnnaK

AnnaK
  • Casita Club Member
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Our German Shepherd dogs, the pool and gardens in summer, reading in winter, Casitaing any time we can get away.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (G&S @ Aug 23 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have the factory installed awning and always use it. Rolling out the awning is part of our set-up process, even if we're only staying overnight.

For shade or protection from rain we use Cool Puppy shade cloth panels made of aluminet and held to the awning and poles with spring clamps. We normally clamp these panels over the windows of the truck at dog shows to keep the inside cool for the dogs. During a rainy weekend on Manitoulin Island we made them do double duty as rain protectors on the Casita awning and found them to work reasonably well.

Not as professional looking as Susan's but fine in a pinch.
AnnaK and Rich
and the German Shepherd dogs
17' Spirit Standard