16 replies to this topic

#1 CarolU

CarolU
  • Rally Organizer
  • 867 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1014

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:35 PM

I received this by email from friends of ours in Oregon. Just thought it might be something to try while camping. Has anyone else heard of this?

Zip Lock baggie fly control

Our friends went to Sweety Pies on Sunday for breakfast, and sat in the enclosed patio section beside the house. They happened to notice a couple of zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally they were curious! Ms Sweety told them that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally they were even more curious! They actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! In the morning they checked it out on Goggle. Below are comments on this fly control idea.

=====================
Zip-lock water bags

Sue says:

Many people swear that a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water and attached over entry-ways will repel flies. No one yet knows how or why it works, but there is speculation that it has something to do with the way the moving water refracts light. If you have tried this please use the comments form at the bottom of the page to share your results with the rest of us.

==============
ann Says:

October 5th, 2008 at 5:51 pm

I did tried the ziplock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer with full LQ. The flys were very bad this weekend while I was camping. I put the baggie with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!!!!!!!

==============
Danielle M Says:

September 20th, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight but significant passage way for insects.Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say, that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some sort of other insect nest and are threatened by this.

==============
maggie Says:

June 7th, 2009 at 11:40 am

I swear by the plastic bag of water trick I have them on side porch ( our house entry) and all around the basement door. We saw these in Northeast Mo at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

==============
Just DJ Says:

May 16th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area ant thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it, worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he don't hang around long.

Carol and Jim #1014
2002 17' Liberty Deluxe "Snuggy Buggy"
2010 Honda Odyssey with Res/Nav
Canyon Country, CA

#2 NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 711 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 PM

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Wow, this is either the biggest hoax or a great tip! Let's all try it and see what happens.
2001 Toyota Tacoma - "Jack"
2000 13-foot Casita Patriot Deluxe - "Cassie Blanca"

#3 Fireballsocal

Fireballsocal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Glamis, 4 wheeling, traveling.
  • Trailer Name:Jetpuft

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

My Dad got the same email so I did some checking on it. It seems to be a myth/old wives tale with no merit. There are a few people who swear by the bags but others who have tried it say the flies land on the bags as soon as they are put up.

1996 17' LD Sold.
1996 Lance 11'4 truck camper. Sold

1999 Hi-lo 22' Towlight. Sold.

2009 Lance 1880 travel trailer. Sold.
2019 17' Freedom Dlx. On the assembly line.

#4 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 818 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Don't know what to tell ya, ................. we had flies coming in the patio door every time it opened and birds flying into the patio doors.

We put up the Zip lock bag with water (we don't use pennies) and the flies went away and the birds no longer fly into the door.

We've been using this for the last three years, with excellent results.

Edited by LSChilders, 16 August 2009 - 10:41 PM.

Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#5 CHThursday

CHThursday
  • Casita Club Member
  • 371 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe / 17 ft.
  • Interests:Chuck Wagon cooking, travel, stereo photography
  • Casita Club Directory #:1714

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

Tried the water filled bags at a BBQ that was held in a covered pavilion. The flies just had one more place to land on. The smoke from the pit did a better job.
Bruce
Out in West TEXAS -"200 miles from anywhere"
2004 17' SD "RoadHippo"
2004 Mitsubishi FUSO
FG639 4X4

#6 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

That is interesting and as far as I know it does work. I saw it at a small restaurant. The door was wide open but there seemed to be only a few flies inside the doorway. I asked what the baggies with water in them were for and the owner told me it kept the flies out!

Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#7 NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

Always look to Snopes.com, I say: http://www.snopes.co.../wild/flies.asp

Interestingly enough, they say this one is "Undetermined," though a read of the text pretty well implies that it's not a well-founded belief. But you know, if it works for you, it doesn't really matter what anybody else says, right?

Fly on,
Carol

#8 CHThursday

CHThursday
  • Casita Club Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

Maybe the area has to be mostly enclosed, like a room or porch. Our pavilion is at least 30'X30' and is completely open on 3 sides and partially on the fourth. The bags were hung along the perimeter and inside as well.
Sounds like a project for someone to report back on. How about submitting it to "Myth Busters"

Edited by CHThursday, 17 August 2009 - 08:23 AM.

Bruce
2004 17' SD "RoadHippo"
2004 Mitsubishi FUSO
FG639 4X4

#9 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I ran across the zip lock bag trick out in Santa Fe last Fall (also in a restaurant). Based on glowing reports of success in keeping flies out, as soon as I got home I placed bags over a couple of the doors we leave open when the weather is nice. NO detectable change in the number of flies that came in the house. Maybe West Texas flies haven't heard that they aren't supposed to pass them. But hope spring eternal, I may try it again this Fall.
2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#10 Don & Carol Curtis

Don & Carol Curtis
  • Casita Club Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

We were in Red River, NM 2 weeks ago eating in a resturant that had 2 doors wide open. They had 1 large baggie 1/2 filled with water and hanging from top of doorway and in the center. I actally watched several flies fly right to doorway and then turn around and go back outside. I never saw one come inside. It was an amazing sight. I had heard of this, but this was the first time I saw it actually work
Don & Carol Curtis & Cosmo
2007 17' LD
2008 Mercury Mountaineeer

#11 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (NaturalWoman @ Aug 17 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Always look to Snopes.com, I say: http://www.snopes.co.../wild/flies.asp

Interestingly enough, they say this one is "Undetermined," though a read of the text pretty well implies that it's not a well-founded belief. But you know, if it works for you, it doesn't really matter what anybody else says, right?

Fly on,
Carol

I think it is a case of people seeing what they are told they will see.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#12 NaturalWoman

NaturalWoman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Okay, I'm getting a new theory. Here it goes:

Flies are really much smarter than we think, and they have a subtle and heretofore undiscovered form of mass communication through the airwaves. They heard about this rural legend and said, "Okay, let's mess with these humans. Sometimes, let's act like we're repelled by these dumb baggies. Other times, we'll act like we don't see them. And other times we'll act like we love them. This should keep the humans guessing for quite a while."

#13 CHThursday

CHThursday
  • Casita Club Member
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (NaturalWoman @ Aug 17 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I'm getting a new theory. Here it goes:

Flies are really much smarter than we think, and they have a subtle and heretofore undiscovered form of mass communication through the airwaves. They heard about this rural legend and said, "Okay, let's mess with these humans. Sometimes, let's act like we're repelled by these dumb baggies. Other times, we'll act like we don't see them. And other times we'll act like we love them. This should keep the humans guessing for quite a while."

Now that's a theory I can live with.
Cheers to the Lady with the sense of humor!
Bruce
2004 17' SD "RoadHippo"
2004 Mitsubishi FUSO
FG639 4X4

#14 eurotrash

eurotrash
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 PM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

Come on every house hold has a zip lock bag and some pennies laying around am going to try it we have flies around the dog food bowls in the back yard. The thing is if it works Im sure the dogs will like it.

Edited by eurotrash, 17 August 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#15 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

Poodles and Bags

I'll have to see if this works with the Poodle Girls. If it does, I could use it to keep both the Poodle Girls and the flies out of the house and not have to fix the screen.

Lane and the Poodle Girls who all think that Carol may be on to something.
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator