• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

In July 2007, we had a Marathon Radial St 175R - 13 inch tire develop seperation and created a bump under the thread when vacationing in Minot, ND. We went up a step in size by getting ST185/80R13 C Goodyear Marathon Radial (two tires & two new wheels). They have been better, not as over loaded looking. But as I was backing our Scamp into the Scamport, my wife noticed it was nearly flat, 20 psi. We had just finished a 2,360 mile trip from Minot via T. Roosevelt & Yellowstone Nat'l parks then out the east entrance to Cody to Thermopolis to Casper then on down to Las Cruces on I-25. Plus the 1,500 drive up to Minot.

Goodyear has stopped production of the ST185/80R13's. Discount Tires have ordered ST185/80R13 Greenball Towmasters the man claims, but when I was checking Greenball web site, they seem to only make ST185/80D13's. I see what gets here. But I am not very hopeful.

I hope a small 14" tire will fit the wheel wells. I want to try that now. Someone wrote me saying they had put 14" wheels & tires on a Scamp.

blush.gif Another woooe is me tale, sorry! Life is good! We had a blast. Want to go again, soon. After I get some new rubber on the Egg. Sure hope my acking back will get a little better, it is still a pain (and I mean pain).

I envy you Casita guys who can put 15" wheels on. Ha! I really hope I can get 14" on our Scamp.

Not sure when, we need to head to California to be with my wife's mom, she is just getting out of the hospital with a new pace maker. She will be 90 yrs old in Sept. A car trip only this time.

Happy Travels Y'guys!

Kumos do not come in 13" sizes, so no use making the recomendations. Maybe with 14" wheels, I can do so.

Now that I think about it all, the Marathons got us home safe & sound. anim_wow.gif Good ole tires, did goood! We are Blessed! anim_bannana.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01002.JPG
  • DSC01001.JPG
  • DSC01003.JPG
  • DSC01000.JPG

Edited by DesertHawk, 13 August 2009 - 03:25 PM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#2 d_wildemann

d_wildemann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

I recently had a 14" Marathon completely blow up. I've never seen so much damage on a tire. I was running at 60 and the tire was properly inflated. Goodyear needs to be forced to do a recall on all their trailer tires.

#3 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Recall?

Never happen.

Too bad...

#4 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

ohmy.gif I believe that if Goodyear looked at the tires and what they were mounted on their reply would be that the "C" rated tire is too light to carry this trailer and I would have to agree with them. Now for whatever reason we are getting Kuhmo's reports of failing even with "D" rated. I have had 4 sets of tires on mine in the 7 years I have owned it, original Carlisles, (bang bang) Uhaul Goodyears biased belt (wore out fast but excellent reliability), milestars, (bang bang) and now Maxxis, commercial "D" rated at 8 ply (about 6500-7000 miles and going strong so far) Of the reports of tire failures we have been getting it would be nce if everybody would answer certain questions in the first post such as, pressure, standard or high pressure valve stems, which side of trailer blew etc. For those of us who use WDH's we need to remember that we shouldn't be using a wdh rated at 10,000 lbs, it will simply put too much more weight on the already stressed tires. by the way all but one of my blowouts was on the curb side.

From what I'm reading on many non related tire posts these trailers are being overloaded with STUFF, I've seen these trailers at rallies with boxes mounted to the rear bumper and then a bicycle rack after that and lawn chairs stuck in between the bikes and trailer etc. thats not even figuring what they have mounted to the tongue, all that puts more weight on the tires then, we overadjust your wdh to try and pick the rear of the TV back up to level and we really get into trouble. It woud be interesting if a bunch of us set out a bathroom scale and weighed everything we put into the tow vehicle and the trailer in 2 separate columns just to see what we do have including ourselves, then compare it with the ratings of the trailer and tow vehicle. I have to admit that I have never had mine on a commercial scale but on the other hand I take along very little stuff just as if I was tenting.

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,271 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

Had mine weighed on a commercial truck sale, several years ago, two weights for $6.- then. I had just emptied both holding tanks, also just filled the second propane tank, 25 gallons of water aboard and my 'stuff'. Fairly simple to weigh, first the Toyota only, then hitch up again and put both Toyota and Casita on the scale, subtract the Toyota weight. That came to 3,200 lbs and change, from a 2,400 dry weight (deluxe), so 800 lbs aboard all told.

I negotiated a third weight with the operator, for which she did not charge, to establish the tongue weight. Drove the Toyota onto the scale, Casita attached but Casita axle off the scale. Tongue weight came to 320 lbs, i.e. 10% of the total at that particular moment. Varies of course with propane and water weights.

I, too, have seen some grossly overloaded small trailers, not just Casitas. One Casita had a motorcycle on a 'tray' attached to the back bumper. Go figure.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

I went with what Discount Tires recommended, Greenball Transmaster ST185x80Rx13...made in China but it looked good. Wait and see is all I can do now.

Not sure if I should trust the other Marathon or should I get a matching tire for the other side?

The man at Discount Tires said to just go with the Marathon.

From my observations on the trip this summer, it seems more weight is on the curb side tire, the right side, than on the left or driver's side. I know I checked the air pressure on that one once while going up north this year. It was just at 50 psi. I checked the air in both after I could not dodge some road trash in MT on the way to yellowstone. Both had the same amount of psi.

I was just about to go to 14" rims or wheels, but then they found a 13" to match what I have. May still have to go to the 14" rims, but not this year it seems.

As for "if Goodyear looked at the tires and what they were mounted on their reply would be that the "C" rated tire is too light to carry this trailer and I would have to agree with them." Not sure about what or what not Goodyear might say, but they are what the Scamp Factory puts on their trailers, even the 19' 5th wheels, I believe. But I do believe they might be too small for the loads they carry. This year I did not have anything on the rear carrier, not even the carrier. But we had lots of clothing, full water tank, food, soda, bottle water, etc. As far as I can discover, no one makes a 13" tire rated higher than "C" unless it is a bias tire, which maybe is what I need?

I just have to see how this Greenball stands-up to traveling.

Edited by DesertHawk, 25 August 2009 - 01:36 PM.

#7 Tom Ayers

Tom Ayers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Looks like a typical ST tire failure. If you have been around long enough to remember the rants and old photos of Carlisle tires which were taken by those lucky enough to notice a problem before the tire disenegrated, the outside edge of the tread started to fail first. There is a sidewall stiffener in ST tires that pinches down on that area, especially if the tire is overloaded, under inflated, or loses pressure because of a puncture. But in the case of the class c Carlisle it looked like even at the maximum psi it was the weak point. I don't know what options you have in 13 inch, but consider a heavy duty tire (class D) which isn't an ST tire.

Tom
Tom & Carol
2001 17' SD
2005 Tundra 4WD

#8 Matt

Matt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

I wonder how much more pounding a 13" tire takes compared to a larger tire when hitting chuckholes and other irregularities in the road. Add weight to this equation and I bet the difference between tire sizes really gets hairy (Maybe an engineer in the group will have better input than me).

I gave away the original 14" Marathons shortly after buying my 2008 SD 17 and put on 15" Maxxis. I've got four 3.000 mile trips on them, one 4,100 mile jaunt, and several other trips around Texas visiting grandkids etc. No problem so far with at least 20,000 miles and the tread still looks very good.

Someone told me that a majority of tire problems stem from underinflation. I check my tire pressure before every trip. 60 psi is what we carry.

My advice: Check tire pressure often, and slow down for RR tracks and other visible road hazards. When we get on a road that is a washboard we get off. I-55 in Southern Mississippi comes to mind as one that pounded us to death until we got off and took back roads.

BTW: we are supposed to have tire discussions on the Tire Forum. Sorry Eric.
Matt & Virginia Kline

Nueces Bay (Near Taft/Portland, Texas)
2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#9 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

If you have rubber valve stems you might be towing a ticking time bomb. Millions, actually 1.8 million, rubber valve stems have been recalled this year and up to 30 million are suspect. Seems the stems were produced (in China, where else?) without the ageing protectant and develop cracks around the lower part of the stem. Two of the three stems on my OEM tires/wheels from Casita developed these cracks and one went flat before I noticed it fortunately it was the spare.

Each time you check your tire pressure check the valve stems also like this:
030_Rubber_valve_stem.JPG 040_Doesnt_hold_air.JPG

You can read about the recall here:
http://tinyurl.com/lz3492

My suggestion - change to all metal valve stems.

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#10 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Don, I had one of them do the same thing on a spare tire to the Scamp this summer as well. Not the tire I had to replace.

#11 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 321 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Bill & Karen @ Aug 14 2009, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of the reports of tire failures we have been getting it would be nce if everybody would answer certain questions in the first post such as, pressure, standard or high pressure valve stems, which side of trailer blew etc.

It would also be nice if people would fill out their signature so we would know what trailer they have wink.gif

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#12 waynej

waynej
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

LOL

Marathons don't bite the dust! People overloading, over speeding, or under inflating does though.

I have been rving long enough to know that there will always be people wanting to blame their miss-use of rubber on the manufacturer and never on themselves.

Jim (who has been doing this for more than forty years).

#13 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (waynej @ Sep 12 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

Marathons don't bite the dust! People overloading, over speeding, or under inflating does though.

I have been rving long enough to know that there will always be people wanting to blame their miss-use of rubber on the manufacturer and never on themselves.

I see you're new to the forum, Jim. Welcome.

You're not the first to assume that it's owner neglect causing the Marathons to explode.

You may want to go back and read all of the posts listed under Tire Reports, and there are many more reports about these tires on the Casita Forum and on the Internet.

Owners have experienced blow-outs even though they weren't speeding / underinflating / overinflating / overloading, and their tires weren't old or worn -- or whatever else you can think of.

The Load C tires just aren't up to the job.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#14 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

Eileen - well said and AMEN!
Don
Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#15 waynej

waynej
  • Casita Club Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (ArizonaEileen @ Sep 12 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (waynej @ Sep 12 2009, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL

I see you're new to the forum, Jim. Welcome.

You're not the first to assume that it's owner neglect causing the Marathons to explode.

You may want to go back and read all of the posts listed under Tire Reports, and there are many more reports about these tires on the Casita Forum and on the Internet.

Owners have experienced blow-outs even though they weren't speeding / underinflating / overinflating / overloading, and their tires weren't old or worn -- or whatever else you can think of.

The Load C tires just aren't up to the job.

Eileen

Thanks for the welcome Eileen.

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes but Marathons are the largest selling tire there is for small trailers (at least from what I recall).
I find it hard to believe that they manufacture a poor brand of tire year after year. Even harder to believe is that if all these users have had all these problems all these years then Goodyear would been sued or something. So I'm left thinking as I said, Marthons are good tires. So what could the problems be?
I put together this list of variables:
The common ones would be "I" for inflation, "S" for speed, and "L" for load.
One variable most commonly overlooked is pavement temperature. Hot Georgia asphalt vs a cool Wyoming interstate. Call this "T"
Another variable can be road type as in chip seal or gravel etc. Call this "R"
Another variable is storage. Covered from the sun? On blocks? sitting unmoved for a year on one side of the tire? Call this "ST"

I x S x L x T x R x ST (this formula came from IRV2 forums) = tire life.

Since they are all variable then one would expect the tire life to be variable too. All this to point out there are other things to consider.
But taking this to the ridiculous, if you never drove over 40mph would you expect the tires to last longer? I'm sure you would and that is the point. All of these things work together to determine tire life and they are all variable factors in an equation.

Since I have difficulty with the "marathons are bad tires" I have to make a leap to conclude that the load C is probably too light for these trailers that grew in weight year after year because now I see you can order them with Ds.

I did read on IRV2 (or Scamp) where some people were putting D load truck tires on their rigs and that solved the problem too.

New to your club, old to these issues smile.gif

Thanks for reading

Jim and Jan