• Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2701

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Jim A @ Jun 29 2009, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mhilley

I go along with Eggalitarian that sometimes things just happen….. but…. two tires on one side on the same trip? And from you initial comment, it appears the original Marathon tires also blew.?

Does that mean that you’ve had four tires “explode” or come apart???

And were they all on the drivers side?? There must be some hidden reason and it doesn’t sound like it’s necessarily tire make. Certainly weight distribution couldn’t be that different from side to side with tanks basically empty. If anything, the passenger side should be heavier. But a check is certainly in order. How bout wheel bearing overheating leading to a hot tire?? Since the tread where looked ok, doesn’t seem like it’s wheel alignment.

I just came back from my tire dealer and would like to comment on my posts. First, yes the original Marathons blew. Both were on the right side when they blew. The two Kumho's blew on the left side. After looking at both tires very carefully my dealer thought I had hit something with the first Kumho that blew. He said his opinion was based on the fact that the sidewall was torn at a 90 degree angle to the wheel. He owned a tire recapping business for 30 years so I suspect his opinion is probably valid. I do not remember hitting anything in the road. On the second tire he could not find anything to cause the blowout. I think his opinion was probably good - he had nothing to loose because both were covered by total insurance. He replaced both of them. As a side note, he would not mount the new tires on two spare aluminum wheels I had. (Both original wheels were destroyed by the blowouts.) The wheels were almost new but were stamped with a maximum of 60 psi. The Kumho's are supposed to carry 65 psi. Lets hope that this is not a trend with the Kumho's! Be safe out there! My apologies for panicking everyone.

#17 flyboy73

flyboy73
  • Casita Club Member
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 04:33 PM
  • Interests:Digital Photography, Flying, Ham Radio, Travel.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Mhilley @ Jun 28 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Over the past two days both of my fairly new KUMHO tires exploded! Yup, exploded! They both had 65 psi (I check every morning). It was over 100 degrees out and I was doing about 60 mph at the time. Has anyone had an issue with the KUMHO's? What do I buy now since my original Goodyear Explodeathons also exploded! (Had to - out of necessity- buy a Goodyear to get me home).

Having put 25,000 miles in 2 years on my first set of Kumho 205’s without a problem of any kind, I was a true believer. I kept them inflated at about 55psi. Liking a good margin of safety I decided to purchase a new set of Kumho 205’s for another long trip from which I just returned. On my second day out, with about 850 miles on the new tires I experienced a blowout (passenger side) while driving on the Interstate at about 62 mph, and outside temp about 85 degrees. The only difference was that based on dealer recommendations, I had inflated these to 65 psi cold. After the blowout I reduced the pressure to 60 psi and experienced no further problem. But try finding a 14 inch 8 ply trailer tire in the sticks, impossible. I also experienced no handling problems, just a pop and a lot of smoke from the starboard side. The tire was shredded, hardly anything left of it, just some rubber around the rim. I think it was a pressure issue.

#18 Ken Ball

Ken Ball
  • Casita Club Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

Mihilie, Thanks for for your frank and open responses, since I am plannining on buying Kumohos for replacements on any long trips. They have been recommended by so many Casita owners they should be an option at the factory in Texas. Improvements through experiencies are of great value and should not be ignored. My electrical fuses have blown out on two of my last four trips and that is just not right! Any helpfulf comments are welcome here!
Ken Ball/08 17' Casita/regular axle/Nissan Frontier with auto tran tv

#19 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

I posted this on another forum but some may have missed it and perhaps it is material to this discussion.

In July 2007 I picked up my new egg, drove 150 miles home and replaced the OEM Goodyear Marathons with a pair of Kumhos. Put two of the Goodyears on a light utility trailer and carried the third as a spare to my Kumhos.

Recently I checked the spare tire pressure at 55 psi prior to a short trip and during the ‘put away’ process after that trip I noticed that the Goodyear spare was soft. Checked it over pretty well and could see no reason for it to have lost pressure.

Aired the spare back up to 55 psi and took it to my local tire dealer for a wet tub check. The rubber valve stem had developed small cracks at the base. The cracks could not be seen unless you pushed the valve stem to the side. After having an all-metal stem installed I went home and checked the two Goodyear Marathons on my light utility trailer – BINGO – they also had cracks at the base of the valve stems. Neither of those tires had lost any pressure but when checking them one did leak a bit. Will now get those valve stems replaced also.

Could this be the cause of many of our tire failures – rubber stems that develop unnoticed leaks, letting the tire become under inflated which then overheats, causing the tire to fail?

Check your rubber valve stems – really give them a good push from side to side. Better to have them fail in the driveway than later down the road! If you find some cracks, my suggestion is to replace them with all-metal stems and let us know.

Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#20 Randy Magee

Randy Magee
  • Casita Club Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

I returned from a 300 mile trip in my Casita, parked the trailer, came outside the next morning to find the curbside tire flat. Just as Don 's experience showed, I had a bad valve stem... Talk about leading a charmed life!

#21 Rand

Rand

Catahoulaflutes

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17 Liberty Deluxe
  • Interests:Flutes, Primitive Archery and events, woodworking and lots of camping in the Casita

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

MHilley,

Blew both my Kumhos a couple of months ago within 200 miles of each other...I wrote about it on the Casita forum under "Kumho's going Kahblooey". I am thinking of going to 15's and either Kumho's or Maxxis (stuck with Carliles now as that was all I could find). Pic's on the forum if interested.

Rand

Rand & Barbara & Jack the Treeing Walker Hound and Ariadne the Catahoula
17' LD "Clarissa II"
'11 Red Silverado Z71 4x4

May the wind be with you in your travels.

#22 Mhilley

Mhilley
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2701

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 5 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MHilley,

Blew both my Kumhos a couple of months ago within 200 miles of each other...I wrote about it on the Casita forum under "Kumho's going Kahblooey". I am thinking of going to 15's and either Kumho's or Maxxis (stuck with Carliles now as that was all I could find). Pic's on the forum if interested.

Rand
Thanks for everybody's feedback. I picked up my two new Kumho's today and noticed they were both made in China! The mfg date was the third week of 2009. Rand, do you think you may have had a pressure issue? If so, was it too high or too low? How many miles did you have on them? How old were they? Did the thread completely separate from the tire casing? Were the metal bands broken or still in one piece? I think I am going to keep 60psi in my new ones. We are headed to Canada from Florida next week so I guess time will tell. I consider it a major safety issue, not just that the tires blow but that you have to change them next to the highway where the trucks and cars are flying by at 90. On our first blowout in east Texas I was able to pull off the highway quite a bit into the tall grass. Even after soaking down with repellent I was still covered with chiggers the next day (in addition to the truck and car problem). If you don't know about chiggers please don't ask! Maybe "they" will never happen to you! As Hopalong (sp) once said...happy trails.

Edited by Mhilley, 09 July 2009 - 09:45 AM.