• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 103 posts
  • Local time: 05:16 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

This is for those who use exchange tanks. Yesterday I exchanged my 3 empty propane tanks at Wally World. I noted after paying for them the sign said 15 pounds net weight ohmy.gif Thinking I was having a senior moment I looked at my empty tanks. They were 17 pounds net weight So the good news is my mind is fine and the bad news is another consumer rip off mad.gif I went across the road to Miejer to fill my jeep up and their tanks are not Rhino and are still 17 pounds. As a recap the tanks are rated at 20 pounds but for expansion they can only be filled to 85% and that works out to 17 tongue.gif

Last years 17 pound tank
17.jpg
this year's rip off ohmy.gif
15.jpg
Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
06 Libery CRD TV

#2 frosin

frosin
  • Casita Club Member
  • 671 posts
  • Local time: 06:16 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

That's pretty interesting. Companies have been getting away with that stuff for years. I small can of coffee was 1 lb. when I worked at a supermarket (and even later). Now it's 12 oz., but the can size stayed the same. Blue Bell is advertising that their ice cream still comes in 1/2 gallon cartons. I guess that others are using the same size cartons and putting in less.

If you fill 'em at a propane dealer I guess that you would actually get what you pay for.

Fred
Fred and Mary
'99 17' SD
2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
San Antonio, Texas

"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends". Robert Earl Keen

#3 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 07:16 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

15 or 17 lbs is the weight of an empty propane container.

Does the difference in the weight of the empty Rhino bottle have anything to do with a difference in (volume) capacity? I dunno, I'm asking. I wouldn't care if they figure out how to make a lighter container.

Could be that if you're exchanging bottles, Rhino needs to state the weight of the lighter container so folks don't think they're being cheated out of 2 lbs of propane????......I dunno.......does anybody weigh a full exchanged container? Usta be 47 lbs, I guess now it'd be 45 lbs using a new container, if so, who's getting cheated?!

Or are you implying that there's less propane in an exchanged container.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

As Alfred E. Neuman said, "What, Me Worry?!" wink.gif

Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#4 Fireballsocal

Fireballsocal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:Glamis, 4 wheeling, traveling, taking stuff apart.

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

It says net weight, 15 pounds propane. Not tare weight (container only) or gross weight (container plus propane). I'm thinking they put less propane in there. The steel containers are all standard.
1996 17' LD Sold but missed.
1996 Lance 11'4 truck camper. Sold
A new Casita is in my future.

#5 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

Well, I think you guys have it wrong.

It's a 20 lb bottle, meaning it's capable of holding 20 lbs of product (in this case, propane). The 'net weight' (15 or 17 lbs) is of the container without product (empty).

The (lpg) propane industry is regulated........hopefully, more closely than the banks. wink.gif

#6 Dunollie

Dunollie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Don,

I went over to the Ice Box and looked at a couple items. Net Weight is the weight of the product, not the package. Net weight on the Propane Bottle is the product inside not the weight of the bottle.

les
Les in Kansas with a 1996 17' SD
http://www.joyandles.blogspot.com/

#7 sticks

sticks
  • Casita Club Member
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Texas travel, music ( somewhat of a drummer ) unique dining

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:18 AM

I'll go with the " wrong" side,

net weight = contents

jk

#8 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:04 AM

fireballsocal has it dead on rolleyes.gif
Every tank has "TW" or Tar Rate stamped on the handle part and my current ones are 16.6 pounds. Some tanks just say WT. Both of these are the weight for the empty bottle. Find the weight of your bottle then weigh it. That will be the GROSS weight (bottle and contents). Then subtract the TAR weight and you will get the NET weight (weight of the contents) wink.gif

Don.
"Perhaps I'm missing something" Yes you are and it's 2 pounds of propane biggrin.gif

Frosin. Some refillers charge flat rates for refilling a tank no matter how much they put in sad.gif
Had I realized what Wally and Blue were doing all I had to do was go accross the road, where they still contain 17 pounds rolleyes.gif

So look at the lables first.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
06 Libery CRD TV

#9 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

I believe TW = TARE weight

WC = Water Capacity (Not Water Closet)

I believe a 20 pound propane tank could be full with 17 pounds propane...but then each tank is slightly different, depending upon it's WC.

I wonder if ambient temperature when filling makes a difference? If it is cold, more propane, and if it is hot, less propane at filling?

Edited by highwayfl, 19 May 2009 - 03:42 AM.

'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#10 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,176 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

My take.

Dictionary.com: "Net Weight Definition: the weight of actual goods, excluding packing materials."

The container labels: Untitled_1.jpg

15 is less than 17. rolleyes.gif

The newer container is smaller than the older one and re-fillers are allowed to fill whatever size container only to 80% of total capacity. Therefore, the total capacity of the newer container is approx. 18.75 lbs and the older container is approx. 21.25 lbs. I'm betting the newer 15 lb. containers will have to be replaced more often because they contain 12% less product than the 17 lb. cool.gif

When I have my "20 lb." containers refilled, the charge ticket states the actual lbs put into it (usually around 18) and the flat fee dollar charge is for "one twenty lb. fill"

Harold

#11 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:29 AM

tongue.gif Back a few months ago I had an empty tank I was going to swap out and I weighed on a bathroom scale, it came in at 18 lbs, the TW on the side said 17lbs so lets average it out to 17-1/2 lbs. I then went to store and brought back a filled one and as Joe's label said it was 15 lbs. I measured the full and it came to 34 lbs. Most bathroom scales are not the most accurate way to measure as we all know when we step on them, but............. it seems that my figures fall into what most have said, more info biggrin.gif
http://wiki.answers....pane_tank_weigh

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#12 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

Ohhhh my, now I see. Yup, I was hung up, confused and mis-spoke. I really got off track.

THanks for all your patience. ph34r.gif

#13 Fireballsocal

Fireballsocal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:Glamis, 4 wheeling, traveling, taking stuff apart.

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

I was starting to worry as I read your initial reply to me Don. laugh.gif Thought I was about to eat crow. Tried jumping on Blue Rhinos website and they were down. I could only imagine the legions of angry casita owners leaving them nasty emails. biggrin.gif
1996 17' LD Sold but missed.
1996 Lance 11'4 truck camper. Sold
A new Casita is in my future.

#14 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 607 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:16' LD

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Flying J and some other places sell the propane by the gallon. Thats where I get mine, you see the meter, and pay for what you get.

... friz

#15 craig.humphries

craig.humphries
  • Casita Club Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

So ... I guess Don in OKC's scoreboard reads something like this:

3455 correct
1 incorrect

I believe this might qualify as a trend.

Edited by craig.humphries, 19 May 2009 - 08:52 PM.

2008 Liberty
2006 Acura MDX
Valencia, CA