9 replies to this topic

#1 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Oliver Elite II

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Today I was in Northern Tools store located in Virginia Beach, Virginia and noticed they carried Load Star tires on rims. The tires were ST225/75R15, Load Range D (2540 LB @ 65 PSI). They were mounted on Dexstar rims 15X6JJ rated at 2050 LB with metal valve stems. The tire and rim was $179.99 each.

Currently our 2008 17SD has 14 inch wheels with a high lift axle; when ever I have to replace a tire, all three will be replaced with 15 inch. I have been reading all of the tire threads and checking with many tire stores and trailer speciality facilities; and there is not a very wide selection of trailer tires. Very few of the trailer speciality facilities recommend using truck LT tires on trailers. I know that the Kumho and Maxxis are highly recommended for the Casita, however they are diffulcult to locate. Where the Load Star tires are easy to obtain.

I have pulled large travel trailers and utility trailers for years, our last travel trailer had Michelin tires which can not longer be obtained. How many people have use the "Load Star" tires on the Casita?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

RV: ex-2008 Casita 17SD

RV: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6" Hull Number 93

TV: 2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4

#2 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,464 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

You had better do some research on the LoadStar tire. I think you will find they are Carlisle tires. Although I haven't had any experience with Carlisle trailer tires, I remember reading bad things about them here and elsewhere.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Harold

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

Why reinvent the wheel (pun intended)? Eliminate the guesswork.

When you get ready to replace your existing tires, go with Kumho or Maxxis. Members here have been using both brands
for a long while now with no major problems.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 390 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (usburros @ Mar 30 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You had better do some research on the LoadStar tire. I think you will find they are Carlisle tires. Although I haven't had any experience with Carlisle trailer tires, I remember reading bad things about them here and elsewhere.
Harold

Our original Goodyears lasted a lot longer than our Carlisles.
We had goodyear faliure, coming into Dalhart TX, and the only tires we could get were Carlisles.
When we asked about the Carlisles, the guy said that they had some trouble with the larger sizes, but no problem with the 14's.
2 years later, (at a I-10 gas station near Luling TX), I notice a big grapefruit size egg on the same curb side tire.
(Glad we stopped for gas before heading thru Houston TX. Not the best place to be changing a tire.)
We got a replacement, and limped on home.
We ordered the Maxxis, and had them installed with the metal stems.

Edited by The Goose Egg, 31 March 2009 - 06:41 AM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#5 chuck99

chuck99
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

Northern Tool also offers 14" load range D tires. both as a tire alone or mounted on rims. They are Kenda Karrier LoadStar, see link.

http://www.northernt...65326_200365326

Chuck & Marion
Crawfordville, Florida
2010 17 SD
2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4X4 6M
Sway Bar and SuperSprings

#6 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply's. When I was in Northern Tools I did notice the 14 inch load range D tires by Kenda Karrier LoadStar. I think it would be better to switch over to 15 inch where there is a little better selection of load range D tires than the 14 inch.

Also from all of the data I can obtain about the orginal Dexstar 14 inch wheel the max pressure that the factory recommends is 50 PSI; so when replacing the Goodyear Marathons with the Kumho's on the orginal rims, according the Dexstar you should not exceed 50 PSI. For that reason when I need to replace the Marathons, I will switch over to 15 inch rims; dexstar has the same eight spoke white rims in 15 inch with a capacity of 2050 lbs @ 75 PSI. Also there are several aluminum rims on the market rated at 2150 - 2250 lbs @ 65 PSI. If anyone has a good source for the anuminum rims please let me know.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

#7 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Horace & Dianne @ Apr 1 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone for the reply's. When I was in Northern Tools I did notice the 14 inch load range D tires by Kenda Karrier LoadStar. I think it would be better to switch over to 15 inch where there is a little better selection of load range D tires than the 14 inch.

Also from all of the data I can obtain about the orginal Dexstar 14 inch wheel the max pressure that the factory recommends is 50 PSI; so when replacing the Goodyear Marathons with the Kumho's on the orginal rims, according the Dexstar you should not exceed 50 PSI. For that reason when I need to replace the Marathons, I will switch over to 15 inch rims; dexstar has the same eight spoke white rims in 15 inch with a capacity of 2050 lbs @ 75 PSI. Also there are several aluminum rims on the market rated at 2150 - 2250 lbs @ 65 PSI. If anyone has a good source for the anuminum rims please let me know.

The 14" Kumhos are rated up to 65 PSI. The Marathons were only 50 PSI.

There is a lengthy discussion about this on the Casita Forum:
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/index....+pressure\

As for the aluminum rims, a word of caution from Euphoria:
"Be sure that you obtain the proper lugnuts for use with aluminum rims. The existing steel rim lug nuts may not have the right shape or shoulder slope for the aluminum rims. Generally, it is something often overlooked by a lot of folks when making this kind of change."

And a follow-up from Trailblazer:
"I would just get the ones recommended by the wheel supplier. Someone on this site lost a wheel because of using the wrong lugs I believe."

You will need to have a high lift axle to accomodate the 15" tires.

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 01 April 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#8 Horace & Dianne

Horace & Dianne
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Eileen for your reply. I have read the link on the Casita Formu plus all of the threads associated with tire issues.

I agree with eveyone that the 14" Kumho 857 series tires are an excellent selection for the Casita. My only isssue is having them installed on the original Casita rims; which according to their manufacture (Dexstar) have a max load of 1865 lbs @ 50 PSI. Since the Kumhos have a max of 65 PSI, it is questionable if the orginal 14" Dexstar rims can handle the increase in pressure. Over my many years of electrical engineering experience a little over the manufactures suggested limits are acceptable, but it appears that are lots of people doing so safely.

As for the aluminum rims, I know you always purchase the lug nuts that is recommended for that specific rim.

Our trailer does have the high lift axle, that why I am thinking about switching over to 15" rims and tires. Since Kuumho does not make the 857 series tire in 15", I have been looking at the Maxxis UE-168 (N) Bravo Series tire (225/70R15) which is a 8 ply load range D rated at 2469 lbs @ 65 PSI. From the Casita Forum there are many individuals recommending this Maxxis tire.

At the present time I am having the valve stems replaced with metal or commonly known as "High Pressure Valve Stems" until I put a few more miles on the Goodyear Marathon's.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

Here is the text from a PM I had with Gene the Webmaster last year. As you probably know, is very knowledgeable about RVs, especially Casitas.

EILEEN: "Someone commented that not all 14" tires will work on the Casita wheels because some of them can't take the increase from 50 psi to 65 psi with a new Kumho or Maxxis. Is this true? Are there exceptions?

GENE: "Yes, it is true. Some of the older trailer wheels are stamped "inside" the tire area to not exceed 55psi. You can't see it until the tire is dismounted."

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 02 April 2009 - 10:23 PM.

#10 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Horace & Dianne @ Apr 2 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Eileen for your reply. I have read the link on the Casita Formu plus all of the threads associated with tire issues.

I agree with eveyone that the 14" Kumho 857 series tires are an excellent selection for the Casita. My only isssue is having them installed on the original Casita rims; which according to their manufacture (Dexstar) have a max load of 1865 lbs @ 50 PSI. Since the Kumhos have a max of 65 PSI, it is questionable if the orginal 14" Dexstar rims can handle the increase in pressure. Over my many years of electrical engineering experience a little over the manufactures suggested limits are acceptable, but it appears that are lots of people doing so safely.

As for the aluminum rims, I know you always purchase the lug nuts that is recommended for that specific rim.

Our trailer does have the high lift axle, that why I am thinking about switching over to 15" rims and tires. Since Kuumho does not make the 857 series tire in 15", I have been looking at the Maxxis UE-168 (N) Bravo Series tire (225/70R15) which is a 8 ply load range D rated at 2469 lbs @ 65 PSI. From the Casita Forum there are many individuals recommending this Maxxis tire.

At the present time I am having the valve stems replaced with metal or commonly known as "High Pressure Valve Stems" until I put a few more miles on the Goodyear Marathon's.

While I am absolutely confident that the steel wheels will easily handle 65psi easily, if you are uneasy about putting 65psi in them, know that even at 50psi the Kumho 857 in size 205R14C tires will handle about 1950 pounds, and well over 2000 pounds at even 55psi. This is from the Engineering department's load chart for these tires when I spoke to one of their tire application engineers about 2 years ago when I bought my Kumhos.

In addition to the increased weight limit (even at 50psi) the Kumhos offer much heavier construction (more and stronger plies in both the tread and the sidewall) and no tendencies to shed their tread like the Goodyears.

BTW, the wheel load limit is determined more by the 5-bolt 4.5" circle diameter than the strength of wheel itself. Again, that's from Kumho.

Bob