#1 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 223 posts
  • Local time: 07:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

Hello Everyone,

We finally took the plunge and ordered a 2009 17'SD from Rice. Should be ready for pickup the last week of April. Tow vehicle will be a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 4x4 with factory installed tow package and a Class III hitch. Two questions resulting from the paperwork received from Casita after making the downpayment are causing us some concern. First, is the electrical plug-in on the Casita compatible with the standard electrical connection on the Ford factory installed hitch? Second, the paperwork from Casita included a "Customers' Acceptance of Vinyl Flooring" release form which reads "During production, the vinyl flooring is subject to minor damage. Casita takes great care to ensure the vinyl flooring is protected during production. For Casita to be able to offer vinyl flooring, customer must agree to accept the unit with the minor damage. Customer agrees to terms disclosed about the vinyl flooring." Is this something new due to problems with the vinyl flooring? We visited Casita's factory in the past and nothing was ever mentioned about problems with the vinyl flooring by our Casita representative. Has anyone experienced any damage on a new trailer from the Casita factory? Casita had a sales special which required us to make a down payment (already done) and to pay the balance in full by the end of March. Since the trailer won't be ready until the end of April, we will not have a chance for an inspection beforehand. We are hoping that this is just a part of the pre-owner jitters and that everything works out okay. Any suggestions?

Also, just a bit of new information. Casita is offering 15" wheels and tires as an option with the high-lift axle. The tires are Goodyear ST225x15 and are D-rated according to our sales representative.
We ordered both options. We have gained invaluable information on which options to order by reading the forums on this site. Thanks for the great site and the wonderful people who post and respond to those posts. Hope to meet some of you on the road!

Bob & Ginny

Edited by schatzie, 05 March 2009 - 06:35 AM.

Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#2 Larry Lecuyer

Larry Lecuyer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (schatzie @ Mar 5 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Everyone,

We finally took the plunge and ordered a 2009 17'SD from Rice. Should be ready for pickup the last week of April. Tow vehicle will be a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 4x4 with factory installed tow package and a Class III hitch. Two questions resulting from the paperwork received from Casita after making the downpayment are causing us some concern. First, is the electrical plug-in on the Casita compatible with the standard electrical connection on the Ford factory installed hitch? Second, the paperwork from Casita included a "Customers' Acceptance of Vinyl Flooring" release form which reads "During production, the vinyl flooring is subject to minor damage. Casita takes great care to ensure the vinyl flooring is protected during production. For Casita to be able to offer vinyl flooring, customer must agree to accept the unit with the minor damage. Customer agrees to terms disclosed about the vinyl flooring." Is this something new due to problems with the vinyl flooring? We visited Casita's factory in the past and nothing was ever mentioned about problems with the vinyl flooring by our Casita representative. Has anyone experienced any damage on a new trailer from the Casita factory? Casita had a sales special which required us to make a down payment (already done) and to pay the balance in full by the end of March. Since the trailer won't be ready until the end of April, we will not have a chance for an inspection beforehand. We are hoping that this is just a part of the pre-owner jitters and that everything works out okay. Any suggestions?

Also, just a bit of new information. Casita is offering 15" wheels and tires as an option with the high-lift axle. The tires are Goodyear ST225x15 and are D-rated according to our sales representative.
We ordered both options. We have gained invaluable information on which options to order by reading the forums on this site. Thanks for the great site and the wonderful people who post and respond to those posts. Hope to meet some of you on the road!

Bob & Ginny

Bob/Ginny: The plug configuration is an industry standard. They will mate up correctly.

The damage waiver for the vinyl flooring was in effect when I purchased my 2008 SD in April, 2008. Though I do not approve of this waiver, it is a mandatory agreement requiring your signature. IF Casita had to change out a slightly damaged vinyl floor, it would be a significant project, The vinyl is placed under all the cabinets, etc. This would require removing all seats, etc. So, therefore the required release. I did not have any damage to my vinyl flooring. I understand your concern, but I am confident you will be satisified with the trailer, when you receive it.

Paying for the entire trailer prior to it's completed production is "interesting." I will not expand on my thoughts, due to potential liability, but the economy does have an affect on all industries.

I recommend you direct your attention to the joy of receiving the trailer, and the enjoyment gained by the freedom to travel and stay out of those bed bug ridden motels!

#3 Jim & Carol

Jim & Carol
  • Casita Club Member
  • 354 posts
  • Local time: 05:24 AM

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

Casita had this same caveat when I bought my trailer with vinyl flooring in 2005 so it has been around a long time. I think you basically just have to trust them on it and remember that you are likely to cause a lot more damage from day to day use than minor imperfections you see at delivery.
Jim
2005 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
2005 Tundra 4x4

#4 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 08:24 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

dry.gif Your truck probably won't be wired correctly from the factory, it may have a 4 pin plug on it instead of seven. You will have to add a brake controller and charging wire. some trucks are pre wired and ready for both but you have to add the brake controller and 7 pin plug of your choice. sad.gif

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#5 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 AM

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

Our sales person told us she has never delivered a damaged floor. Ours was perfect. Besides a tiny little damaged area on vinyl is never as bad as mustard on carpet. Terry R

#6 Chris Z

Chris Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 788 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' SD

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Your truck probably won't be wired correctly from the factory, it may have a 4 pin plug on it instead of seven. You will have to add a brake controller and charging wire. some trucks are pre wired and ready for both but you have to add the brake controller and 7 pin plug of your choice.

Gee, I would think a 2004 would have the 7 pin plug but you can see that easily. On my 2005 Chevy, I had to buy a brake controller and splice it into the GM supplied jumper which I just plugged into the block under the dash.

http://www.randpcarr...akecontrol.html

This link goes directly to a GM control but look around.
#2077 Louisville, Ky
2006 Black Chevy Suburban
2005 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

#7 kmfosterk

kmfosterk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 627 posts
  • Local time: 06:24 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1408

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (schatzie @ Mar 5 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Everyone,

Bob & Ginny

I signed the vinyl floor waiver and received my Casita in perfect order. As far as paying in full before inspection / pickup I would say no way. Doesn't make sense to me why they would require this. If you don't have the money when picking up the Casita they don't have to deliver it to you and they keep the deposit seems to be no risk on their part. I made deposit when I ordered and paid remainder when I picked up Casita July 2004. If it was me I would stand my ground on that one I wonder if there was misunderstanding on your part.

As far as your truck if it came with factory tow package as you stated you should have a 7 pin plug next to hitch already in place. Most brake-controllers will come with harness with plug on one end and bare wire on other. You can buy separate harness sold by brake control manufacturer with plug on both ends to fit factory connector for a plug and play installation. I know this is true on the Prodigy and on my Ford Explorer and F150. Not sure if is true for all brake control manufactures. Your Casita will come with the standard 7 pin plug.

I believe I read that Casita will not install brake controllers even if you bring one with you. Not sure if this is true but check with Casita. You will need the brake controller to operate the brakes on the Casita. I installed mine with optional harness and tested it on friendís trailer before going to Casita factory.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trailer_Plug_DSC_0007.jpg
  • Trailer_Plug_DSC_0006__2_.jpg

Edited by kmfosterk, 06 March 2009 - 06:10 PM.

Kent - #1408
X 17' Casita LD owner

#8 Lane

Lane

Lane and the Poodle Girl

• Casita Club Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe, 17
  • Interests:Travel, Photography, Wine, California, Foreign Language - Russian & German
  • Casita Club Directory #:2430

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

Vinyl Floor

I signed the waiver for my 17'SD in May, 2007. No problems, no regrets. Easy to clean, no faults, nicks, tears.

Electrical Hookup

My 2005 Navigator with factory tow package came with 4 pin hook-up. Worked fine when I hauled car trailer with non-electric brakes. Bought Casita, had factory install 7 pin hook-up. Works like a charm.
Point: Some "factory" trailer-ready hook-ups come with 4-pin socket.
Casita factory was still installing hook-ups for an extra charge in May of 2007

Still happy with trailer, floor, hook-up.

Lane and the Poodle Girls
Ray Lane Aldrich
Lane's Bait Shop at
web.me.com/lanealdrich/Lanes_Bait_Shop
Retired & Loving it
Back in NoVA after the West Coast
2007 17'SD & Navigator

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,073 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (schatzie @ Mar 5 2009, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1) Is the electrical plug-in on the Casita compatible with the standard electrical connection on the Ford factory installed hitch?

2) The paperwork from Casita included a "Customers' Acceptance of Vinyl Flooring" release form which reads "During production, the vinyl flooring is subject to minor damage. Casita takes great care to ensure the vinyl flooring is protected during production.

3) Casita had a sales special which required us to make a down payment (already done) and to pay the balance in full by the end of March. Since the trailer won't be ready until the end of April, we will not have a chance for an inspection beforehand.

4) Casita is offering 15" wheels and tires as an option with the high-lift axle. The tires are Goodyear ST225x15 and are D-rated according to our sales representative.

Bob & Ginny

1) Casita will send you a copy of the wiring configuration you will need to have before your pick-up. Ask your salesperson for it.

2) Be glad you got the vinyl flooring. I wish I had. The release is standard.

3) When I ordered my Casita, I gave them a $2,000 down payment. The balance wasn't due until I took delivery and after I had my inspection and orientation. I'm surprised they're asking for the entire amount a month ahead of delivery. The economy is making companies do things differently, that's for sure.

4) You'll be glad you ordered the high lift axle and 15" wheels. Replacement tires are easier to find in that size. However, keep a close eye on those Goodyears. One of the members here didn't get 300 miles from the factory before his separated.

You'll get a lot of years of enjoyment from your Casita. We all share your excitement!

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#10 G&S

G&S
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:birdwatching

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

I have a 2003 Mazda, actually a Ford Ranger. It came with a tow package. No problem with the electrical plug in.

#11 KarenM

KarenM
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:42 PM

Hi to all,

I have just ordered a 13. Casita is not requiring payment in full before pickup, UNLESS you want the $500 off they are offering. If you want that deal you must pay in full during the month of March even though pickup will not be until (for me) April. I believe they will continue to offer the $500 off on in stock trailers after that. The in stock ones are all 17's.

Hope to see you on the road!

Karen M

#12 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

There was no 'sales special' when I bought my 1998 or 2007 Casita so made my down payment and paid the remainder after inspection. Guess if you are really uncomfortable with the deal then you could forgo the savings and pay after inspection.

On the 98 I had carpet floor, the same as my other trailers and one motor home before. By the time I ordered the 07, it had finally sunk in that it would be better to have vinyl and put some throw rugs down. Signed the waiver, received a perfect floor covering, towed the egg to a scale to get an actual weight, got home and started taking pictures and making mods. biggrin.gif

During acceptance inspection there was only one defect. It was a cosmetic installation error to the rat fur and it was fixed by Casita on the spot in about 3 minutes.

My tow vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with the factory tow option. The factory installed 7 pin socket was correctly wired and included wiring for backup lights and 12v charging. It also came with a pig tail and instructions for installation of a brake controller. It took me less than 30 minutes to read the instructions, install and hook up the controller. At Casita they tested the truck socket to confirm that it was wired correctly, plugged in the trailer and verified that all the running lights were operating and that the brakes were energizing.

Anything can happen but the odds are good that you will receive a great unit - see ya down the road!

Don

Don & Sherian, 2016 Ford F250 6.2 V8 gas engine, Supercab,

6.75' bed, factory trailer anti-sway, factory trailer brake controller, made in USA
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA

Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#13 Irishrover

Irishrover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

The Casita factory never told me they couldnt install anything having to do with towing...right at the factory.

When I arrived at the factory back on Nov 2005 to pick up my Casita 17 LD I drove in with my 2003 GMC Safari Van and the only thing I had in my hand was a Prodigy brake controller. They had assured me on the phone previously that they would hook everthing up and they did.

I ordered the GM pig wire for my Prodigy...the guy I bought it from said I would need it...but the factory did not need it....they hooked it up direct to the plug receptable in my van.
James in Ohio
2006 Casita 17' LD, High Lift Axle, all add ons 'cept electric jack, Front Air
2003 GMC Safari
or
2013 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 1500