Goodyear Marathons

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

Matt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

I've been reading the posts about the Goodyear Marathons and especially one by Don who said he'd wait till he could afford something else before he used the factory installed Goodyear Marathons.
Well, I've read a lot of Don's posts and respect his opinion, but would like more input before I toss six month old tires with less than 10,000 miles on them.

I have a 2008 17 SD. I did get the high rise option and intended from the time my egg hatched to get 15" wheels and tires when these tires wore out.

Who is happy with the Marathons? Anyone got a success story?

So far I've been happy with everything about my trailer except having to replace the converter and battery.

We are already planning separate trips to California, Ohio, and Virginia in 2009. If EVERYONE is unhappy with the Marathons I'll replace them now. If we can get two sides to this story I might try to get through 2009 and then replace them.

Thanks ahead of time for any help,
Matt
Matt & Virginia Kline

Nueces Bay (Near Taft/Portland, Texas)
2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#2 thunderhead

thunderhead
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Interests:Streetrod Building &amp; Wood working

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 27 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been reading the posts about the Goodyear Marathons and especially one by Don who said he'd wait till he could afford something else before he used the factory installed Goodyear Marathons.
Well, I've read a lot of Don's posts and respect his opinion, but would like more input before I toss six month old tires with less than 10,000 miles on them.

I have a 2008 17 SD. I did get the high rise option and intended from the time my egg hatched to get 15" wheels and tires when these tires wore out.

So far I've been happy with everything about my trailer except having to replace the converter and battery.

We are already planning separate trips to California, Ohio, and Virginia in 2009. If EVERYONE is unhappy with the Marathons I'll replace them now. If we can get two sides to this story I might try to get through 2009 and then replace them.

Matt

I,ve been a car guy all my life and nothing wrong with goodyears Theres noway I would replace six month old tires biggrin.gif

#3 BarnCarp

BarnCarp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 27 2008, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt

Bill and Sylvia
Ennis, Montana

#4 BarnCarp

BarnCarp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (thunderhead @ Dec 27 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Matt @ Dec 27 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt

I,ve been a car guy all my life and nothing wrong with goodyears Theres noway I would replace six month old tires biggrin.gif

Bill and Sylvia
Ennis, Montana

#5 davidandrachelf

davidandrachelf
  • Casita Club Member
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

My 1999 Casita 17' SD with original factory installed Goodyear Marathon tires had a catastrophic tire failure at 65 mph on the interstate highway in the Spring of 2005. The Casita was purchased new in the Fall of 1998. That tire was 6 and a half years old with many many miles on it. I consider that a success story. The Tow Master tires I installed in 2005 both failed this year at the age of 3 and a half years. I now have a new pair of Maxxis 14" C load range tires. If I have any problems with them I will go to the 15" D load range tires.

Edited by davidandrachelf, 27 December 2008 - 04:55 PM.

1999 Casita SD
1999 Ford F-250 Diesel

#6 BarnCarp

BarnCarp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Matt - Not sure how this reply feature works. Hopefully, this will.

We purchased our Casita about ... two years ago. There was a flood of complaints about the Marathon tires. I read each one, looked at these nice new tires and said, "Pooh, pooh." They look good to me. Doesn't make sense to chuck perfectly good tires, based on what all these people say.

So, I carefully maintained tire pressure, rotated, balanced and again checked the tire pressure. I don't remember the mileage on them just now, but not much. Last fall, we were returning from a short trip to northern Idaho. We were near home when we heard a noise. Couldn't figure what it was. The camper was pulling just fine. So, we drove on home.

Long story short. The tire was the "spare" and it had nearly all of its tread. It was balanced, not over loaded, had the proper tire pressure and ... did I say, nearly all of the original tread? Well, that tread peeled off and hung up over the axle for the remainder of the trip home. It was totally destroyed.

Should have respected the posts. I will NEVER
Bill and Sylvia
Ennis, Montana

#7 BarnCarp

BarnCarp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi Again, Matt -

Sorry for the goof on the email. Again .... I will NEVER NEVER EVER run a Goodyear tire again. Marathon tires are an accident going somewhere to happen. Do yourself a big favor and swap them for something that is safe. After we blew this tire, I bought three new tires and personally hauled the Marathons to the dead tire dump.

And one more thing. Casita should be ashamed for installing these things on their trailers. Must be the cheapest tire on the market.

Bill and Sylvia
Ennis, Montana

#8 KokomoJoe

KokomoJoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20 ! If I had it to do all over again...I would have listened to everyone here w/ a bad story about Goodyear Marathons! There are far too many!

So...what I would have done was have 3 OTHER tires put on before leaving the factory! And...if I'd driven home w/ the Goodyears... I'd change them out ASAP...whatever the cost! Happy Trails! KokomoJoe

#9 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,250 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Well, I'm a little reluctant to write this, it might jinx me, but we been using Goodyear Marathons since 2001 and have had no problems. We used them on our 1999 for 4 years, and have them on our 2005. We travel light and drive conservatively which may make a difference, I don't know. But we have weighed our 2005 trailer more than once and know it weighs between 3,000 - 3,100 when loaded with all our gear. Our 1999 weighed a couple of hundred lbs less.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 27 December 2008 - 05:42 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#10 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Someone posted a while back that they replaced their original tires immediately and sold them on Craig's List. The real question is capacity. The Marathons are load range "c". Load range "d" has more capacity. There are not a lot of brands that offer load range "d". That is why you see reference to Kumho and certain Maxxis tires. The Marathons would probably work very well on a lighter boat trailer.

I am running Kumhos on mine.

Edited by Muttley, 28 December 2008 - 02:26 PM.

2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#11 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

I won't presume to tell you what to do, but if you do Google searches for Goodyear Marathon topics, you will find loads of posts.

Here are a couple of search results you might click on:

http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search

Make your way through the negative reviews and owner reports from a wide variety of trailer owners you will find at those search pages and let them help you decide.

BTW, I've sold 3 sets of Marathons (one set mine, others Casita Club members' tires) for $60-$80 depending upon tread remaining on Craig's List. They seem OK if used at a fraction of their rated weight capacity for light boats or utility trailers. They seem to self destruct mostly in hot weather or when used anywhere near their rated capacity.

Bob
P.S. You might visit and register at the Casita Travel Trailer Forum at http://www.casitafor...dex.php?act=idx and do a "Search" to find the dismal record Marathons have racked up on members' trailers there as well.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 27 December 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#12 Hoy

Hoy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

Had a blowout @65 mph on the right side with a Goodyear Marathon on our 05 Casita SD just a little east of Las Vegas. I put the spare tire on and drove about 40 miles to a Goodyear dealer and replaced the shredded tire but then also found the left tire was delaminating badlly also. We were told that it too would have failed in another 100 miles or so. I replaced the old set with two new Marathons for $100 (prorated) and hung the spare on the back again. I was looking for answers at this point and the fella changing the tires said the failures were probably due to the trailer sitting for long periods of time in one spot and had developed flat spots on the tires which then started a process of uneven wear patterns which lead them to developing hot spots and generating high heat in the tire carcuss. These tires had about 10,000 miles on them with good looking tread. So my advice to anyone would be to jack up their Casita when ever it's going to be more than a couple months parked in one place regardless of what kind of tires you use because getting flat spots on the tires this way sounds plausable to me. Now it could be that the Goodyear Marathons are just junk but I would treat any set of tires in this manner now.

#13 Ray & Donna

Ray & Donna
  • Casita Club Member
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, camping, hiking, backpacking, photography, road cycling, golf and skiing.
  • Casita Club Directory #:2103

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

10,000 miles on our 2 year old Marathons and they're doing great. We have metal stems, keep a close watch on our inflation pressure and the trailer is on jack stands when in storage.

Ray & Donna
Poway, CA (San Diego County)
'07 17' Spirit Deluxe
TV 2014 GMC Sierra Double Cab 4x4
2178015780010355611JUiNmH_th.jpg2910660630010355611nHUxji_th.jpg2603207630010355611VxyYCp_th.jpg

#14 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 818 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Felt a need to chime in on this one, .... my experience with Marathon "ST" tires is not good. I place them in the "Maypop" category. ...... They "May Pop" at just any minute, even when exquisitely maintained.
Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#15 BillyVee

BillyVee
  • Casita Club Member
  • 59 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2752

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:46 AM

I am satisfied with the marathon tires. But my opinion could be different had I not got lucky. I have about 4000 miles on my 2 year old tires and about a year ago while preparing to come home from a short trip I noticed that one was a little low, after checking it I found it to be about 10lbs off and thought that very unusual since I had checked them all before heading out a few days previous.. I went to air it up and my compressor reaches to the tires with a slight strain on the coiled air hose from the van. That was enough to pull the valve slightly and hear the air coming out from the valve that had horribly deteriorated but looked good to a casual inspection. I took off the spare inspected the valve, it did not look much better, bent it a little to each side, and guess what... the air started leaking out too. After getting all valves replaced all has been well. Being here in Florida I know the damage sun can do so I use tire covers when stored so that was not the problem. Had I been on a longer trip I am convinced that I too would have blown a tire. In MY case the problem was bad valves not tires.
--Bill
Bill V.
2007 17SD
2010 Frontier
Homosassa FL
Directory#2752 Host