Photo

Florida Gatherings? Why Can't there be More?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 Roy and Beth

Roy and Beth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 sd
  • Interests:Camping, Scuba diving, canoing, boating, fishing. photography, and olympic napping!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:07 PM

Oh sorry, I can imagine how hard it must be to find 8 or 10 sites at a time. So until I retire, I guess I will have to go camping weekends, and leave it to you septuagenarians and octogenarians to fight for the weekday slots.

#17 RX

RX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 AM
  • Interests:Sunshades now in a Blue-Grey color
  • Casita Club Directory #:1021

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

Another alternative to Florida Rally is the ScampCamp 2010: Just an option to folks that wish to attend a Florida gathering which is open to everyone. No need to be a Good Sam member, Florida resident or a Scamp owner. They welcone everyone which is refreshing and do not treat it as a private club. They have great workshops, events that include everyone and social events.

- February 9 (Tuesday) to 13 (Saturday), 2010. Call 800-326-3521 to make reservations, then email or call Alice Vernezze, the host, to report your information. The sooner you do this the easier her job is. Even if you have to cancel you wonít lose all your money - the park withholds only one dayís fee. Aliceís email is: ezzeal@bellsouth.net, Phone number are: 321-773-2676 (home) or 321-501-3181 (cell), and address is: 610 N. Robin Way, Satellite Beach , FL 32937. If you have a GPS system, Highlands Hammock State Park is located at 5931 Hammock Rd, Sebring , FL 33872. Come join us for a great experience.
Terry (RX) & Susan
Eastern North Carolina
Casita 2005 Freedom/Spirit Deluxe
Tundra, 5.7 2008

Custom Casita Sunshades, tie downs
Sunsahde items for awnings now made in Sea Blue

#18 laura

laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit deluxe/16 feet

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:05 PM

Back in March about 4 years ago at the last Rock Crusher Bash in Crystal River, Fl a small group of Casita owners from all over Florida started to talk about forming a Good Sam's club so we could get together every now and then. Some time between March November of that year it started to come to reality and we voted it into being at Anastasia State Park in St Augustine that November. It was to be called "Casita Scramblers etc" the etc meaning it wasn't just for Casita's. We were to meet so many times a year for club business and then attend the Florida Good Sam's samboree's about 3 times a year. We realized how much we enjoyed each others company so we started planning something every month, some with meetings some w/o. not all could make all the events but we always had 4-8 units show up and we have had some very good times. This year I kinda took it upon myself to include more Florida folks or snowbirds this time of year by posting where and when the next event will be. After one of those postings Just before Christmas we met at Lake Louisa State Park and expected 5 or 6 and it turned out that 3 new rigs showed up as well and everyone had a great time (at least no one has told me otherwise) ended up with 10 rigs. I will continue to post our get togethers in my signature at the bottom of these pages as well as the forum calenders on the months when we have no meetings, that way no one will feel obligated to come to a boring meeting and it will be open to those who are down here on vacation from the frozen tundra of the north. We generally go onto Reserve America then send out an email to the folks in our group who are interested with the site numbers so we can all try to be in the same area.

Now if you are looking to go to an organized rally where your day is all planned for you then this may not be what you are after, these are gatherings only and we have many pot lucks, Bocce ball, table games and rig visatations to see each others mods, There is always someone going to buy fleas at the local flea market or antique shops or to eat at a local eatery. We enjoy just relaxing and enjoying each others company around a campfire. If any of you out of stater's are coming to Florida and want company post your data here with location and site# and you just may have some visiters, You'll find we are a laid back bunch

#19 laura

laura
  • Casita Club Member
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 08:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:spirit deluxe/16 feet

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hi, we are Laura and Tom from Homosassa, Fl..we would like to be included in any postings or e mails for get togethers..We have a Casita we have just purchased and are interested in get togethers.. How do i see all your post and schedules for Florida..Laura and Tom

#20 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 17' SD
  • Interests:Travel, photography

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:27 AM

I would like to have a rally in FL, too, and if the timing is right will certainly attend one. I guess someone just needs to toss out a date or 2 and suggest a couple of parks (state parks tend to be cheaper than commercial ones) and see what the response it. Right now I am rather busy getting ready for the AL rally and other things to initiate something. Excuses, excuses, I know, but I will help if the opportunity comes.
Jean
2000 SD 17'
2011 Silverado w/Prodigy BC
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much (and take lots of photos along the way)
www.jeanclarkphotography.com
www.borderbrae.wordpress.com

#21 labcdef

labcdef
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 Liberty Deluxe

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

I would like to have a rally in FL, too, and if the timing is right will certainly attend one. I guess someone just needs to toss out a date or 2 and suggest a couple of parks (state parks tend to be cheaper than commercial ones) and see what the response it. Right now I am rather busy getting ready for the AL rally and other things to initiate something. Excuses, excuses, I know, but I will help if the opportunity comes.

We would be interested in a gathering in Florida, but for us to be included it would need to be July or later in the year because we do not pickup our Liberty 17 until either late June or July. Also would be able to offer some assistance in getting the planning started, but since we have never attended a rally I could only follow the lead of a more learned person than I. Have camped since the 60's but are just cracking an egg for the first time. It may become known as the Florida Eggspress. If someone could use some help just holler at me. Email labcdef@yahoo.com
Randy

Edited by labcdef, 28 February 2011 - 09:53 AM.

Martha & Randy Way
LaBelle, Fl
2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17'
TV Ford F150 SuperCrew

#22 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Randy, read the very long thread about the rally in AL next month. It has grown from a simple suggestion by Shorty to a good sized rally with 37 rigs and over 60 people. And it is relatively a "free range" type of deal, not a lot of things planned. I think a lot of the folks are looking forward to relaxing in spring like weather after a pretty nasty winter. This is the type of rally I prefer, not one with something planned for most of every day.
Jean
2000 SD 17'

#23 MMoe

MMoe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Randy, read the very long thread about the rally in AL next month. It has grown from a simple suggestion by Shorty to a good sized rally with 37 rigs and over 60 people. And it is relatively a "free range" type of deal, not a lot of things planned. I think a lot of the folks are looking forward to relaxing in spring like weather after a pretty nasty winter. This is the type of rally I prefer, not one with something planned for most of every day.

Too funny Jean... 'free range'. You are too clever. Really amazing how this 'rally/get together' has taken on a life of its own. You all are doing a great job with it! Congratulations and I pray for beautiful weather for it!
Moe
2009 17' FD (now a FreeSpirit)
2008 Avalanche

#24 RADAR1

RADAR1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Scamp 16 SD
  • Interests:Scamping, kayaking, biking, hiking, picture taking.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

There is a Scamp Camp every Feb at Highland Hammocks state park near Sebring that lasts about a week. All eggs are welcome and it's not unusual to see several Casita's and Trilliums among the Scamps. There was even a British made Thompson there this year.
We were down at Rainbow Springs state park in Dunnellon mid January for a kayak gathering to paddle with the manatees, and there were two other eggs (both Casitas) at that park.
John

John/Dave and Marilyn

2004 Dodge Dakota V8
2017 Dodge Durango V6
2005 Scamp 16 SD

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com

#25 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None att :-(
  • Casita Club Directory #:3089

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

OK folks here are some dates and location suggestions... How about Topsail Hill, which is a beautiful Florida State Park in the Northwest District form Friday, 1 Jul 2011 through Wednesday, 6 Jul 2011? You can find more park info at http://www.floridast...ill/default.cfm . Reservations availability permitting I would sign up and volunteer to support the coordination effort in a New York minute! If we can get even one egg to commit with me, Iíll make reservations soonest. My birthday is on the 5th, and I could not think of a better way or place to spend it! Thoughts?

Live well, life is very good!!!
Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular,  "Big Edna II"  :D

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
2007 Casita 17' FD - (R/V Huevo Movil - RIP - Died on I-75)
2006 Casita 17' SD - (Sold, but not forgotten!)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#26 borderbrae

borderbrae
  • Casita Club Member (c)
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

You are tempting me, Shorty. Thing is I will be in Yellowstone late in June and flying home on June 30 I think. Would be a real bit of fast moving to get my stuff sorted out and the trailer packed to go on the road that fast! Will have to think about it.
Jean
2000 SD 17'

#27 labcdef

labcdef
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:03 AM

You are tempting me, Shorty. Thing is I will be in Yellowstone late in June and flying home on June 30 I think. Would be a real bit of fast moving to get my stuff sorted out and the trailer packed to go on the road that fast! Will have to think about it.

Huevo Movil, I just did a quick check of Reserve America for Topsail Hill for the period of July 1 - 6 and there appears to be no sites available and the following couple of weeks there are only very few sites available.
Randy
Martha & Randy Way
LaBelle, Fl
TV Ford F150 SuperCrew

#28 Huevo Movil

Huevo Movil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 913 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:None att :-(
  • Casita Club Directory #:3089

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Huevo Movil, I just did a quick check of Reserve America for Topsail Hill for the period of July 1 - 6 and there appears to be no sites available and the following couple of weeks there are only very few sites available.
Randy

Hi Randy, thanks for the research. Can we all agree upon the dates, 1 - 6 Jul 11, and then we can start looking for a park? If not mistaken there are quite a few in the Northwest District? I have not been to the others so I can not comment on the facilities/quality. Thoughts/comments?

Edited by Huevo Movil, 02 March 2011 - 07:44 AM.

Live well, life is very good!!!
Best. Shorty sends...
Rocket City USA, AL

2014 Roadtrek 190 Popular,  "Big Edna II"  :D

1999 Coach House 192KS Wide Body, aka "Big Edna"  (Sold, but not forgotten also... :unsure:)
2007 Casita 17' FD - (R/V Huevo Movil - RIP - Died on I-75)
2006 Casita 17' SD - (Sold, but not forgotten!)
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.”
- Ronald Reagan

#29 labcdef

labcdef
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Randy

Hi Randy, thanks for the research. Can we all agree upon the dates, 1 - 6 Jul 11, and then we can start looking for a park? If not mistaken there are quite a few in the Northwest District? I have not been to the others so I can not comment on the facilities/quality. Thoughts/comments?

We may have a real problem over the 4th of July weekend. Probably the busiest weekend of the summer. Later in July would probably offer more likelyhood of finding enough spaces.
Randy
Martha & Randy Way
LaBelle, Fl
TV Ford F150 SuperCrew

#30 labcdef

labcdef
  • Casita Club Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

Randy

We may have a real problem over the 4th of July weekend. Probably the busiest weekend of the summer. Later in July would probably offer more likelyhood of finding enough spaces.
Randy

Huevo Movil, another consideration is Topsail Hill is $42.00 per night while most Florida Parks are $22.00 or under per night.
Randy
Martha & Randy Way
LaBelle, Fl
TV Ford F150 SuperCrew