Photo

Florida Gatherings? Why Can't there be More?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 highwayfl

highwayfl
  • Casita Club Member
  • 602 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 PM
  • Interests:Long distance hiking, backpacking, seeing what is out there so as to lessen the regrets of mark Twain, plus sea kayak touring, kayak fishing the salt water flats and surf fishing, accumulating memories now, while I can, to remember later, when I cannot.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:18 AM

I wonder why there seem to be so few "egg" gatherings in Florida, especially in the winter, because that is when we have our best weather.

It is easy to distinguish the northerners from the Floridians down here when we have one of our 50 or 60 degree F winter cold snaps. The Floridians are tanned and are all bundled up, huddled out of the wind, while the northerners are snow white (or beet red, depending on when they arrived) and out frolicking in the surf biggrin.gif
'00 Casita, 16' SD 3936 - "Motel One"
'02 Jeep Wrangler, Straight 6, 4.0 L, 4WD, 5-speed
Pulling the Egglet with Aplomb!

#2 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Local time: 04:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:We love to travel and make new friends. In addition to attending Casita rallies we cook with the Dutch Oven groups. We've cooked with and judged Chuck Wagon Cookoffs. I'm learning to play the Banjo and will now add Bluegrass gatherings to our travel agenda.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1991

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

The reason for so few Florida get-togethers is simple. That's the season in Florida.

Yeah there are a lot of campgrounds but January ends all discounts till April when the snowbirds go home. The campgrounds are full.

It's possible to find campgrounds off the beaten path who will accept a get-together but no one wants to go to a rally in the boondocks.

And some of the best weather destinations are in South Florida and most people don't want to drive that far south... it's over 200 miles from Orlando to Miami.

Florida is a GREAT place to camp in the winter. Trudy and I camp all over the state in the winter. In fact that's our favorite time to camp. The weather is perfect with warm sunshine days and cool (sometimes but seldom cold) nights. And NO mosquitos or bugs. And there are all sorts of activities going on; Calle Ocho in Miami, Strawberry Festival in Plant City, Nascar race in Daytona, The space center in Titusville, Chili Cook-offs, sea food festivals, etc, etc, etc and don't forget all the stuff in Orlando. And did I mention that the weather is GREAT in the winter.

There are so many campgrounds that you can always find a spot. Finding 50 or more spots is a totally different issue.

don

• JaxDan likes this
Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
TV: Toyota Tacoma
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe "Brutus"
Members LSDOS, Soggy Bottom Bluegrass Bunch
Go Bucks!

#3 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Local time: 03:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (highwayfl @ Nov 11 2008, 06:18 AM) I wonder why there seem to be so few "egg" gatherings in Florida, especially in the winter, because that is when we have our best weather.

Because it takes the initiative of one or more persons to organize.

If you want a rally in the winter, start putting one together. Find a place and name the dates. 'If you build it, they will come.'

But, be forewarned -- planning even the smallest of rallies can time consuming.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#4 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:We love to travel and make new friends. In addition to attending Casita rallies we cook with the Dutch Oven groups. We've cooked with and judged Chuck Wagon Cookoffs. I'm learning to play the Banjo and will now add Bluegrass gatherings to our travel agenda.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

Dear Eileen,

You can have all the initiative in the world. If there are no spaces available, you can't have a rally. It's not fair to say that Floridians lack the initiative to put together a rally.

Come to Florida this winter (Jan-Mar) and while you are traveling and staying at campgrounds ask them about letting you put together a rally for about 50 or more campers. The campgrounds you want, in an area you want to be, will quickly tell you they're not interested. They are usually half full or more of RV's there for weeks or for the winter. And they're not going to throw out their campers to make way for a rally.

We just camped this past week in Tampa and the camp ground is starting to fill up for the winter. The activity board that is normally pretty empty during the off-season is now starting to fill up with planned activities for the winter. The snowbirds are headed this way.

don

• tentstake likes this
Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
Go Bucks!

#5 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Don --

I did not state nor mean to imply that Floridians lacked the initiative to put a rally together. What I did mean is that rallies don't happen by themselves.

My reason was IN ADDITION to the one you presented.

Actually, a rally can be organized in high season. There are a number of campgrounds that work on a reservations system.

For example, go to www.reserveamerica.com. Choose 'Looking for trailer' and 'Florida' in the left sidebar, and length of stay 3 days. I put in a date of February 6, 2009 as the start date. Then click on Search Campgrounds. I got 69 campgrounds -- with full hook-ups -- all around the state as having available sites for those dates.

Granted, it would take a bit of advance planning by the attendees, but it can be done. I organized a Utah Tour last year for 13 Casita owners based on this same reservation system and it worked out very well.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#6 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Once again... there are loads of campgrounds in Florida. And I'm sure that some will always have space for 3 days during Jan-Mar period. By the way, March is the busiest time in Florida due to Spring Break.

First of all, where are they located? As I mentioned, I can find campgrounds with availability. Unfortunately they are not located in areas that out of state people want to visit.

Then as I stated, you can most always find a campground for three days in some really desirable areas.... But try to get 50 spots for 3 days in that desirable location.

We have asked many campgrounds over the last few years. One particular campground I remember said maybe they could handle 50 campers but they would not be together.
Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
Go Bucks!

#7 sgmken

sgmken
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cooking chili in sanctioned CASI chili cookoffs raising money for local charities. www.chili.org

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

There is one RV park that could host a get together in December or March and it is in Daytona Beach. Another park that could host a get together in the winter months is in Homosassa, Florida - both a great locations

Ken
Ken Rodd
"Hotrodd Chili"
2009 17' Spirit Deluxe
email: dwgken@aol.com
Austin, TX

#8 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Highwayfl, I'll send you a pm

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#9 JaxDan

JaxDan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Golf
    Bluegrass Music (fiddle)
  • Trailer Name:Cassandra (Cassie)

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

that could host a get together in the winter months is in Homosassa, Florida

There was a club event at Rock Crusher Canyon a few years ago but the facility would not renew as they had long term stays that needed the space. Every response I have seen here makes sense - this state is too popular with snowbirds to get a reservation for even 25 in the season folks want to come here and anywhere folks want to go. Rock Crusher is a ways from Tampa or Orlando - last time there we had a kayak trip on the Chazowahitsa - a spring fed river that flows to the Gulf ... that was a fun time but only for a few folks.

By the way, Don - I hang out in Dunnellon too! The JaxDan fit when I was in Jacksonville.

Edited by JaxDan, 23 October 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#10 Paul J

Paul J
  • Rally Organizer
  • 394 posts
  • Local time: 06:45 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 Casita SD 17'
  • Interests:State Park Camping; Visiting other States; and Cooking
  • Casita Club Directory #:1272

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

Anyone interested in doing a Feb or Mar 2010 Rally? Would need 3-4 committed folks to do one?

Paul & Diane Jochum
1999 Spirit Deluxe #1272 "The LoVe Shack"

#11 Roy and Beth

Roy and Beth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 sd
  • Interests:Camping, Scuba diving, canoing, boating, fishing. photography, and olympic napping!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

I think part of it too, is that being a "Casita" club is somewhat self limiting. I know that all are welcome, but some may see it as clickish. Also, there is a branch here in the Jacksonville area that camps regularly, but are all retired and only camp during the week. There is another group here that camps 2-3 times a month and seems to have regular turnout. Check them out at Northeast Florida Camping Club http://www.neflcc.com/

#12 Roy and Beth

Roy and Beth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Scuba diving, canoing, boating, fishing. photography, and olympic napping!

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Oh and check most any NE Florida state park and you'll find plenty of availability this time off year.

#13 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Back in March about 4 years ago at the last Rock Crusher Bash in Crystal River, Fl a small group of Casita owners from all over Florida started to talk about forming a Good Sam's club so we could get together every now and then. Some time between March November of that year it started to come to reality and we voted it into being at Anastasia State Park in St Augustine that November. It was to be called "Casita Scramblers etc" the etc meaning it wasn't just for Casita's. We were to meet so many times a year for club business and then attend the Florida Good Sam's samboree's about 3 times a year. We realized how much we enjoyed each others company so we started planning something every month, some with meetings some w/o. not all could make all the events but we always had 4-8 units show up and we have had some very good times. This year I kinda took it upon myself to include more Florida folks or snowbirds this time of year by posting where and when the next event will be. After one of those postings Just before Christmas we met at Lake Louisa State Park and expected 5 or 6 and it turned out that 3 new rigs showed up as well and everyone had a great time (at least no one has told me otherwise) ended up with 10 rigs. I will continue to post our get togethers in my signature at the bottom of these pages as well as the forum calenders on the months when we have no meetings, that way no one will feel obligated to come to a boring meeting and it will be open to those who are down here on vacation from the frozen tundra of the north. We generally go onto Reserve America then send out an email to the folks in our group who are interested with the site numbers so we can all try to be in the same area.

Now if you are looking to go to an organized rally where your day is all planned for you then this may not be what you are after, these are gatherings only and we have many pot lucks, Bocce ball, table games and rig visatations to see each others mods, There is always someone going to buy fleas at the local flea market or antique shops or to eat at a local eatery. We enjoy just relaxing and enjoying each others company around a campfire. If any of you out of stater's are coming to Florida and want company post your data here with location and site# and you just may have some visiters, You'll find we are a laid back bunch

#14 Roy and Beth

Roy and Beth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Bill and karen,

I was not going to name them but yes, The scramblers are who I was referring to. They seem like a nice bunch, but only meet/camp on the weekdays. Kinda limits working stiff's partoicipation

#15 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Roy and Beth @ Jan 6 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bill and karen,

I was not going to name them but yes, The scramblers are who I was referring to. They seem like a nice bunch, but only meet/camp on the weekdays. Kinda limits working stiff's participation

That is a drawback for many folks, we are all retired and in the winter Or (the season) as Floridians call it for the number of sites we use most of the time weekends would be too competitive. You'll just have to retire to keep up with us old folks.