• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tbo

Tbo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17
  • Interests:Aviation, pilot, builder, EAA member, flying E-LSA Apollo Fox, also enjoy flying ultralights.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1183

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:30 PM

Now that we are both retired, we went for a ride. Having previously seen some of the Smokeys, we went west. Leaving south Louisiana, our first destination was Carlbad Caverns. Then upper New Mexico. Next, all over Colorado including the Trail Ridge Road. Then Yellowstone Wy. for a few days. We drove thru lower Montana, then the Black hills area of South Dakota. Across lower Minnasota to The House on the Rock, SW of Madison Wisconcin. Then Iowa to a friends and Muncie Indiana to a relatives for a few days. Next attraction was the aviation museums in Dayton Ohio. Then south thru Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, finally home to south La.
17 states, 8000 miles, 6 weeks on the road. A very enjoyable trip. And we avoided the suspense of riding out the hurricane that tore up our home area. Luckily our home had no damage except a few screens.

John and Margie
Marjorita Casita

Host....John....Napoleonville, La.
'98 Casita 17, 2005 GMC YUKON
interests: cars,boats,planes,hovercraft

#2 Kyle

Kyle
  • Casita Club Member
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

I am soooo jealous. The day where we can go on a many week jaunt will come...it will.....

Sounds like you had a great trip - good country for sure!

-Kyle

#3 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 390 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Kyle @ Oct 14 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am soooo jealous.

Me too,
Can't wait till my hubby retires so we can throw the alarm clock away. (ours goes off at 4 AM M-F)
David is intrested in aviation too.
We went to the same Air Force Museum in Dayton a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
Did you get to see the old Air Force One?
(It requires a free ticket and a bus ride to another hanger in a secure area of the base)
(No cameras allowed till you get into the hanger)
The Museum and parking is free, all it cost you is your time.
We didn't have time for the I-Max (there is a charge for it)
Here's a couple of links:
www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
www.afmuseum.com
Angie

PS. Sounds like a better way to spend an evacuation. We spent ours in Singer LA without electricty.

Edited by The Goose Egg, 15 October 2008 - 10:56 AM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#4 Tbo

Tbo
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17
  • Interests:Aviation, pilot, builder, EAA member, flying E-LSA Apollo Fox, also enjoy flying ultralights.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1183

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

[

Me too,
Can't wait till my hubby retires so we can throw the alarm clock away. (ours goes off at 4 AM M-F)
David is intrested in aviation too.
We went to the same Air Force Museum in Dayton a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
Did you get to see the old Air Force One?
(It requires a free ticket and a bus ride to another hanger in a secure area of the base)
(No cameras allowed till you get into the hanger)
The Museum and parking is free, all it cost you is your time.
Here's a couple of links:
www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
www.afmuseum.com
Angie

PS. Sounds like a better way to spend an evacuation. We spent ours in Singer LA without electricty.
[/quote]

Yes we did see several old Air Force One's and the experimental hanger next door. It contains planes like the X-15 and the XR-70 Blackbird. The base is free to tour except for the I-Max theaters. The last building in the main area is the missle building containing several minuteman missles and the history on rocketry. For my camera, I found the trick was not to use the flash on big stuff, hold very still, and use a handrailing or tripod or something stable if available. Some pics came out others didn't.
My mpg average was 15 mpg now that I am using synthetic oil front to back, driving slower (67-68) on interstates and running my air pressures kinda high. I was suprised to find the tire dropped so much when I got to the mountains. Must have been the cooler temps.
I had a transmission oil hose slip off the cooler fitting and shot 2 qts of oil straight onto the exhaust manifold in a few seconds. Big cloud of smoke, I thought surely the truck was on fire. I think the only reason it didn't catch was because I was using synthetic oil. Payed for itself right then and there. Moral of the story, carry a fire extingisher and 2 quarts of motor oil and 2 quarts of ATF preferably synthetic. Dont' forget a trans funnel. Try picking that up beside the road. We found out truck drivers usually carry ATF.
The old casita did spring a water leak thou. I tracked it down to the pump. The pump head started leaking after 10 years. I tightened it as tight as I could and aired it out for 2 days before replacing the fiberglass side panel. Was not easy to work with since the elctrical panel is not easily removable. Had to throw away the 45* bacdkboard. I think I will replace it with Cypress.

Host....John....Napoleonville, La.
'98 Casita 17, 2005 GMC YUKON
interests: cars,boats,planes,hovercraft

#5 DesertHawk

DesertHawk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,898 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

smile.gif WoW! What a truely Napoleonic ride! Covered some nice country and a lot of it.

As for being "suprised to find the tire (pressure) dropped so much when I got to the mountains," that is susprising at the higher altitude there is less air PRESSURE, so the constant amount of air inside the tire is able to exert more force inside the tire, making it harder. For a graphic demonstration of this, bring along a few bags of chips packaged and sealed at near sea level. As you gain altitude, the bags of chips will balloon out, and when you get high enough, above about 7000 feet or so, they will start to explode. The same thing is happening in your car or motorcycle tires, but fortunately they are sturdy enough to not pop, just get harder. https://www-auth.cs..../msg01403.shtml

It should have been the other way around. It must have been a lot cooler.

Edited by DesertHawk, 15 October 2008 - 08:50 AM.

DesertHawk* Las Cruces, New Mexico USA

2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper with Dinette Slide

160 watt Solar Panel, GoPower Solar Controller
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp

#6 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 PM

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:00 AM

Yes, I was surprised that the 'tire pressure monitors' on either my Cadillac DeVille or my Cadsillac Escalade didn't complain about the pressure increase when we drove up to 10,000 feet (East entrance to Yellowstone), but they sure complained when we came back down.

Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2