• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Kuhmo tires are not ST tires as I understand it, but D rated truck tires. Is that correct? If that is so, why are they better than any other D rated truck tire, like Michelin or BFG or for that matter Goodyear. It seems that the Kumho's are hard to find and not something you would be able to get easily while traveling. As long as the max load matches the Kumho's and they are D rated it seems like any D rated tire should be better than the C rated Marathons.

Rich

#2 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

Part of the problem is finding D rated tires in the 14in size. If you go to 15in tires then, I'm told, there are more options.

Jim
2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#3 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 818 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

See Link below..............

http://www.tirerack....odel=Radial 857

The Kuhmo 857 is a "ST" tire.

I run 55 psi in mine, on the original rims, and get noticeably better gas mileage than I did with the original Marathons.

Edited by LSChilders, 25 September 2008 - 09:10 PM.

Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#4 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

The Kuhmo's are an 8ply tire. That is what you are looking for and thats hard to find in a 14" The 8 ply is rated at 95 mph and can carry more weight.
Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#5 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (LSChilders @ Sep 25 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I run 55 psi in mine, on the original rims, and get noticeably better gas mileage than I did with the original Marathons.

Kumho 857s are not an "ST" tire. They are a commercial delivery truck and bus tire that is a Load D tire rated to 99mph. In the USA, Kumho is now selling the 857 as a "Special Trailer" tire, but they are not in reality an "ST" tire. Kumho told me they now choose to sell the 857 as a trailer tire because there are now so few applications here in the States where 14" tires are used on motor vehicles, and they did not want to continue to do the DOT certification necessary to sell them as motor vehicle tires. In literally every other nation on the Planet, the 857 is still sold as a truck and bus tire.

In fact, when I bought my Kumhos, both the Kumho web site, and Tire Rack still showed them as truck and bus tires.

All "real" "ST" tires are prohibited from use on motor vehicles World-wide, and have a 65mph max speed rating, for instance. These are just a few of the differences between "ST" and other tires not specifically designed (but acceptable) for trailers.

All "real" ST tires have, by law, "Trailer Use Only" limitations molded into the sidewall. The Kumho 857s I have seen do not have such limitations on the tire, because they do not apply.

If you call Kumho USA (1-800-HI-KUMHO) and ask to speak to one of their "Tire application engineers" you will be connected to a very knowledgeable person who will explain the whole deal better than I. You might ask for "Randy," the engineer with whom I spoke with some time back.

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/

Bob

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 26 September 2008 - 07:01 AM.

#6 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

If I move up to a 15" D rated tire, it seems like that would be the best answer. Besides extra ground clearance and fewer revolutions per mile, I should be able to use any 8 ply truck tire. I know from my travels in Mexico that 15" tires are recommended for everything due to the availability. That's seems important. If you have a tire go out, you don't want to wait for a back order to replace your spare, especially if you are on a long road trip.

Rich

#7 andy101

andy101
  • Casita Club Member
  • 281 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Trailer Name:"The Casita"

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

Rich
If you have the high lift axel then you can move up to a 15".
If not I do not think a 15 will have enough clearence. I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that on one of the many tire discussions.
Andy and Laura
"The Casita"#2926
2008,17SD
Las Cruces, N.M.

#8 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (andy101 @ Sep 26 2008, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rich
If you have the high lift axel then you can move up to a 15".
If not I do not think a 15 will have enough clearence. I may be wrong but I think I remember reading that on one of the many tire discussions.

Andy, We do have the hi-lift axle so, I imagine a 205R 15 should work just fine. Rich

#9 LSChilders

LSChilders
  • Casita Club Member
  • 818 posts
  • Local time: 05:39 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1251

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Bobinyelm @ Sep 26 2008, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kumho 857s are not an "ST" tire. They are a commercial delivery truck and bus tire that is a Load D tire rated to 99mph. In the USA, Kumho is now selling the 857 as a "Special Trailer" tire, but they are not in reality an "ST" tire. Kumho told me they now choose to sell the 857 as a trailer tire because there are now so few applications here in the States where 14" tires are used on motor vehicles, and they did not want to continue to do the DOT certification necessary to sell them as motor vehicle tires. In literally every other nation on the Planet, the 857 is still sold as a truck and bus tire.

In fact, when I bought my Kumhos, both the Kumho web site, and Tire Rack still showed them as truck and bus tires.

All "real" "ST" tires are prohibited from use on motor vehicles World-wide, and have a 65mph max speed rating, for instance. These are just a few of the differences between "ST" and other tires not specifically designed (but acceptable) for trailers.

All "real" ST tires have, by law, "Trailer Use Only" limitations molded into the sidewall. The Kumho 857s I have seen do not have such limitations on the tire, because they do not apply.

If you call Kumho USA (1-800-HI-KUMHO) and ask to speak to one of their "Tire application engineers" you will be connected to a very knowledgeable person who will explain the whole deal better than I. You might ask for "Randy," the engineer with whom I spoke with some time back.

Bob

Bob

A quote taken from the Tire Rack page on Kuhmo 857 tires..............

"
The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks."

Many of us have them on our trailers, and they seem to be doing a good job (at least........so far).

Edited by LSChilders, 29 September 2008 - 01:37 AM.

Larry Childers #1251 (Hillbilly, 1st Class, At your Service)
Amateur Radio K3LSC
GMRS Radio WQBL405
KY. , U.S.A.

"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration"

#10 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (LSChilders @ Sep 28 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob

Bob

"
The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks."

Many of us have them on our trailers, and they seem to be doing a good job (at least........so far).

As I look at the KUMHO web site, I notice that the 857 is only available in 14 inch. Is that correct? I though I had read of people going to 15" KUMHO'S...Rich

#11 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (LSChilders @ Sep 28 2008, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bob

Bob

"

That is a USA only designation. On the rest of the planet (and in the USA until last year), the 857 is a commercial delivery truck and bus tire.

If you want to insist that it's an "ST" tire, why not call Kumho and verify what I say with one of their tire applications engineers like I did (ask for Randy, their chief engineer). He will tell you exactly what I have said. The 857s sold here are no different from those sold elsewhere. The only difference is that due to the small volume sold (very few US delivery trucks or airport vans use 14" tires here, which is all they import to USA), Kumho doesn't want to bother with DOT certification and insurance on them as motor vehicle tires.

I am not saying that they are NOW selling them HERE for trailers only, just that they were NOT designed for exclusive trailer use.

If you do not believe me, and obviously you do not (I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it, in fact), please at LEAST go to the Australian, German, and Canadian Kumho websites (I could have used others, but the Aussie site here is in English) and it CLEARLY lists the 857 as a Commercial Van, truck, and bus tire acceptable for ALL positions (front, rear, or dually use):

http://www.kumho.com..._commercial.htm

Here is the German Kumho site where it specifies the 857 for trucks, transporters, delivery trucks, RVs and trailers:
http://www.kumhotire...mmerreifen.html

At the Canadian Kumho site, it says for the 857:
COMMERCIAL
The 857 all-position light truck radials are designed for use on commercial pick-ups, and vans. These tire combines premium levels of treadwear, handling and ride comfort with all season traction and braking performance.
The only tire in that category is the 857, which then echos the trailer designation (again because of certification and insurance) on the next page.

This stuff is available to anyone on the Internet today, and to blindly repeat what some tire store, or people who work at them is very limiting (I am not saying that to you, but too many people who listen to a minimum wage tire jocky at "Podunk Tires Sales"). It's a BIG world out there and it's full of good information to those who are willing to look.

IMHO it is a GOOD thing that they are not "ST" tires given the reliabilty record earned by this lesser-rated class of tire.

And yes, it's rather immaterial that it is a truck and transporter tire elsewhere-the important thing to me is that it's NOT an inferior designed-for-trailer (ST) tire.

In the USA (only) it's only availabe in 14" size. Elsewhere on the Planet, the 857 is available in most commercial sizes.

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 29 September 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#12 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

rolleyes.gif Whatever the designation is really a mute point. By my logic Light truck tires are perfectly suited for a single axle trailer as long as they meet the weight limits, The extra beef in the sidewall of ST tires are really more for tandam axle as the 4 tires fight for position going around corners. single axles just pivot on one wheel just like the rear wheels of the tow vehicle in front. biggrin.gif

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#13 Mhilley

Mhilley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 06:39 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2701

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Bill & Karen @ Sep 29 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif Whatever the designation is really a mute point. By my logic Light truck tires are perfectly suited for a single axle trailer as long as they meet the weight limits, The extra beef in the sidewall of ST tires are really more for tandam axle as the 4 tires fight for position going around corners. single axles just pivot on one wheel just like the rear wheels of the tow vehicle in front. biggrin.gif

Proof may be in the pudding! We changed to KUMHO's after we blew two of those Goodyear junkers. One on the Interstate and one in a very bad section of Miami (going 20 mph). We have been 15,000 miles on the Kumho's on some very bad roads. No problems at all, and they still look new. I keep 65 psi in them.

#14 notlawd

notlawd
  • Casita Club Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:26 PM

Why do you need a high lift for the 15" rim. Can't you get a 15" in the same size as a 14"? The rim size should not matter for clearance if the tire is the same size.
2006 16' SD

#15 Paul from NWOnt

Paul from NWOnt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 48 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2914

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (notlawd @ Sep 29 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you need a high lift for the 15" rim. Can't you get a 15" in the same size as a 14"? The rim size should not matter for clearance if the tire is the same size.

Yes, if the tires are the same diameter then rim size is academic. However, the p-metric listing refers to the size of the cross section, and it's aspect ratio therefore a 205/75 has a 205 mm cross section and... (crap.. I can't remember how to figure it out). Anyways, the cross section of the tire is what is referenced, therefore the tire sizes go up or down equally with the rim size.

I screwed that up a little, but I hope you get the picture.