#16 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Monte,
Not sure if my sister remembers where she got the idea for finding those curves, but I will ask her. She is coming to my house later tonite and I'll ask her if she can recall her source.

rhonda
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#17 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

Monte, I'm not Vera but the quickest way I know to get the curves on the cardboard is to take an oversized piece and cut a "guestimate" and against the curve of the wheelwell. Then take a compass like you used in geometry to make arcs and put the pencil end on the cardboard and the pointy end against the wheelwell and trace around.

Alternately, you can do what I did on the floor. Start with your rough cut above and then take a piece of cardboard about an inch wide and maybe 4 inches long. Poke a hole about 1/2 inch from one end big enough to put a marker tip through. Then use the other end to drag along the wheelwell while the marker becomes your scribe to mark the curve. They key is to get something making an equi-distance mark on the cardboard as you move it around the wheelwell.

Then you cut on the mark on the cardboard and it should fit perfectly. Works best if you start with an oversized piece of cardboard and get the curve cut before you cut the straight edges.

Good Luck,
Reine
Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#18 NMonte

NMonte
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 03:34 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (rlaz @ Dec 28 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monte,
Not sure if my sister remembers where she got the idea for finding those curves, but I will ask her. She is coming to my house later tonite and I'll ask her if she can recall her source.

rhonda

QUOTE (PRTexas @ Dec 28 2008, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Monte, I'm not Vera but the quickest way I know to get the curves on the cardboard is to take an oversized piece and cut a "guestimate" and against the curve of the wheelwell. Then take a compass like you used in geometry to make arcs and put the pencil end on the cardboard and the pointy end against the wheelwell and trace around.

Alternately, you can do what I did on the floor. Start with your rough cut above and then take a piece of cardboard about an inch wide and maybe 4 inches long. Poke a hole about 1/2 inch from one end big enough to put a marker tip through. Then use the other end to drag along the wheelwell while the marker becomes your scribe to mark the curve. They key is to get something making an equi-distance mark on the cardboard as you move it around the wheelwell.

Then you cut on the mark on the cardboard and it should fit perfectly. Works best if you start with an oversized piece of cardboard and get the curve cut before you cut the straight edges.

Good Luck,
Reine

Thanks to both Rhonda and Reine, I'm in your debt.

#19 Veda

Veda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

I got the idea from someone who had done closet shelves. I used a washer and put a pencil through the hole and ran the washer along the arc while the pencil marked the arc on a piece of cardboard.
Veda, Red Rock, TX
1 mutt "Fancy"
2001 16' SD
2007 Jeep Liberty (2WD)