• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rlaz

rlaz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts
  • Local time: 10:11 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:07 PM

My sister has been here a few days helping me with repairs/mods. We have also begun the big project of taking out the back Captain's chair to be able to add a bench seat in it's place. This mod will allow us to sleep front to back when completed. I will then have a Freedom/Spirit!!!!

We began by unbolting the chair and removing it. Then we had my son cut out the divider. He used a saber saw to cut around the breaker box which was attached to the divider. He added a brace behind the top edge of the box to be able to snug it back to it's original position (the divider was badly warped and the box had moved forward as it was not attached to anything) and he added a small upright piece of wood at the wall to act as a guide for inserting the seat back. You can see this piece in the picture at the wall.
DSC02304_1.JPG

He cut off the lower portion so that it can be used as a removable seat back when we sit facing the small dinette and a small top portion to reattach to the top cabinet. My husband used a router to round off the edges and we reattached the top portion.
DSC02305_1.JPG
DSC02311_1.JPG

My sister then made a mock up of the bench seat using a technique for tracing the curves at the wheel well. This was a great techique that she learned from someone on the forum. The back cardboard mock-up has not been cut to the correct height, but is marked to show where the cut will be made.
DSC02310_1.JPG
DSC02312_1.JPG

We are now ready for my son and husband (the 2 sisters may just supervise that part) to build the bench seat. I have ordered new cushions from the company (in Waco) that makes them for Casita. They will be ready in about 10 days.
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#2 PRTexas

PRTexas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hey Rhonda,

Do you have a 16' or 17'. Your Breaker box and wheelwell are in a different place than our 17' 2000 FD so just wondering. Our breakers are under the back dinette facing the center and the wheelwell goes "through" the divider.

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project.

The jury's still out on what we will do with our divider. Once we finish the laminate and get the chairs back in, Paul will probably say "enough already" for a while. Besides, there's a really convenient tissue box holder mounted on the divider so if we took it out, I'd have to find another good place for it. The allergies require tissues no matter where I am.

Reine

Edited by PRTexas, 02 August 2008 - 09:17 PM.

Paul and Reine
Plano, TX
2000 FD "new to us" in 2008
2008 Chevy Avalanche
traded the Chevy S10

#3 Casita de Glenritas #1002

Casita de Glenritas #1002
  • Casita Club Member
  • 529 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:13' P.D. & 25' Airstream
  • Interests:Cars, Casitas & People
  • Casita Club Directory #:1002

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

He has a 16' tongue.gif

Our first Casita was a 17' FD.

I laid out a pleasing curve with pin striping tape on the divider and then I cut back the divider usuing a curve at the top cabinet out to three inches of the wall and followed the contour of the wall and then back out to the edge of the seat.

I used a saber saw and a sander with 80 grit paper to finish the saw cut to the line while putting a radius the edge.
This gives a good sight line from the front seat out the back window without any obstruction.

Edited by Casita de Glenritas #1002, 02 August 2008 - 10:18 PM.

Glen & Jane #1002
2004 Chevy SSR & 2001 13' P.D.
2014 Tundra, 1998 Tahoe, 1957 GMC
1969 Airstream Trade Wind 25'
Shasta Lake, CA.

#4 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

Yes, I have seen some people cut it back to where it opens the view up but leaves a part at the wall. That looks good too. I needed to remove it so that when it is finished, I can have a new bed that more fits our needs.
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'95 FreeSpirit (our very special modification...1/2 Freedom Deluxe..1/2 Spirit Deluxe)
'04 Ford Explorer

#5 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:41 AM

I have a '95 16'. Yes, my sister's newer Spirit ('01) has the breaker box in the side dinette seat facing forward into the aisle. Don't know about the newer 16' FD. Don't know if theirs is where hers is or not. I was fearful at first when we started the project that I would have to have a hinged backrest because of that breaker box, but we were able to cut around it and then slide it back into place to create a removable one. So far, so good.
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'04 Ford Explorer

#6 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Here is the progress on the project. My husband constructed a box in the new spot using plywood. We installed a vent in the front because of the converter being in the divider wall that we left.
DSC02455_1.JPG

Now it's all painted and ready for the cushions.
DSC02481_1.JPG

Add the new cushions made by the company in Waco that makes them for Casita. Jay suggested dealing directly with them as he could not match the old upholstery used in my '95 FD. I had to choose something to blend with the Captain's chair that we left.
DSC02484_1.JPG

The new and improved Freedom/Spirit. We need to do the bed extension so that we can sleep front to back. We are going to use the idea that Rich and Penny posted last week using fold down legs to support the extension nearest the furnace wall and let the other side rest on the ledge of the side dinette seat.
DSC02492_1.JPG

And here are some of the tools required to do the project. Thanks hubby for all your work.
DSC02493_1.JPG

Attached Images

• DSC02492_1.JPG
  • DSC02492_1.JPG

Edited by rlaz, 12 August 2008 - 01:20 PM.

Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'04 Ford Explorer

#7 Rich & Penny

Rich & Penny
  • Casita Club Member
  • 480 posts
  • Local time: 09:11 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

Nice job! I know your going to enjoy this mod. I see why you couldn't do it the same as our '08 SD, but your solution works too. Enjoy, and thanks for pushing me to get our photos posted...Rich

#8 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Rich & Penny @ Aug 12 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice job! I know your going to enjoy this mod. I see why you couldn't do it the same as our '08 SD, but your solution works too. Enjoy, and thanks for pushing me to get our photos posted...Rich

So glad you did post detailed pictures. My idea had been to slide the back table forward, add a piece of plywood at the rear to fill the gap at the back wall and add simple dowel legs inserted into closet pole holders screwed to the bottom of the table to act as table legs to hold the bed extension up. This idea was scrapped when I realized there was too much of a gap left near the furnace wall meaning the table could shift in that direction and fall off the groove (ask me how I know that). Your pictures showed me a better way. I ordered the fold down legs from an RV place here and they will be in by the end of the week. Hooray. Very close to the end of the project.
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'04 Ford Explorer

#9 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Creekside 20FQ

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:30 AM

Nice pictures.

We tried out our new front to back sleeping arrangement in our SD last weekend. It was really nice. We can't wait to get a travasak though. It will be easier to use than the covered foam.

Regarding the room divider, as Glenn said, the view is alot nicer with the divider removed.

We have been thinking about making the front back sleeping change for several years now. Seeing all the pictures sure makes it easier and gives a person confidence in making the changes. We are really are pleased with the results.
Bill and Ann
Little House Stained Glass
www.littlehousestainedglass.com

#10 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (Bill and Ann C. @ Aug 13 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice pictures.

We tried out our new front to back sleeping arrangement in our SD last weekend. It was really nice. We can't wait to get a travasak though. It will be easier to use than the covered foam.

Regarding the room divider, as Glenn said, the view is alot nicer with the divider removed.

We have been thinking about making the front back sleeping change for several years now. Seeing all the pictures sure makes it easier and gives a person confidence in making the changes. We are really are pleased with the results.

What did you guys do for the extension into the aisle? Can you post pictures? What size bedding did you use for the new front to back sleeping arrangement?
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'04 Ford Explorer

#11 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (rlaz @ Aug 13 2008, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Bill and Ann C. @ Aug 13 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice pictures.

What did you guys do for the extension into the aisle? Can you post pictures? What size bedding did you use for the new front to back sleeping arrangement?

See your partition removal post. The last post was on 7-31. Our pictures are in that group of postings. I still need to take pictures of the divider.

Ann

Bill and Ann

#12 rlaz

rlaz
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Yes, I found it now. It was posted under my sister's posting of taking her divider out. The slide out one that looked really nice!!! Have you ordered a travasak? I'm excited to find that in making the new bed, the excess comforter can now hang down off the end of the bed and there will be no tucking in.
Bill and Rhonda
College Station, Texas
'04 Ford Explorer

#13 Bill and Ann C.

Bill and Ann C.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (rlaz @ Aug 14 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I found it now. It was posted under my sister's posting of taking her divider out. The slide out one that looked really nice!!! Have you ordered a travasak? I'm excited to find that in making the new bed, the excess comforter can now hang down off the end of the bed and there will be no tucking in.

We haven't purchased the travasak. We can't wait. I also am excited about not making up the bed in the morning.

Bill and Ann

#14 NMonte

NMonte
  • Casita Club Member
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 07:11 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (rlaz @ Aug 2 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My sister then made a mock up of the bench seat using a technique for tracing the curves at the wheel well. This was a great techique that she learned from someone on the forum. The back cardboard mock-up has not been cut to the correct height, but is marked to show where the cut will be made.

I'd sure appreciate it if you'd post a link to a description of the technique you used for tracing the curves to cardboard.

Thanks, Monte

#15 Phil Underwood

Phil Underwood
  • Casita Club Member
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:motocross / fiberglass rvs / camping / muscle cars

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

good job, looks like a very nice worthy mod
Phil & Denise Underwood
1997 Bigfoot 21 RB
2002 F-250