11 replies to this topic

#1 ogr

ogr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 08:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

tyre.jpg
Trying to get my egg ready for a Florida trip and have been washing and waxing (Starbrite PTFE) cleaning up the inside and got home to notice that the trailer was leaning towards the right side, dang a flat tire. And I just checked pressure Sat. Well the compressor cord (DC) wont reach the TUG. Off to Radio Shack for a 12v extension. Hook up extension and compressor and lo and behold there is a large hole in the tire in the tread.

Now can anyone explain how this GoodYear did this sitting still? Admitted the tires are about 6 years old and I want to get ideas about switching brands or staying with the GoodYear's

"Most plans are just inaccurate predictions."

#2 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

6yo? 3 years beyond the recommended change out.
search the forum for more info.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#3 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:17 PM

That's what Marathons do!

You were lucky that you weren't towing at 60 MPH when it happened.

Perfect time to get some better tires all around.
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#4 ogr

ogr
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:55 AM

I have been aware of the Marathon debate for the few years I have been a member and was just fortunate I guess. The egg was occasionally taken for short trips around Florida. And some times it was just taken around the block to spread grease in the bearings and knock some of the rust off of the hubs. But it's like Bobinyelm said "unsafe at any speed". Will get some Kuhmo's today. Dont recall the max air pressure of the rim.
Just got off the phone with the local tire store (Ocala Tire), great people with customer service from the old school. But they standby the towmaster.
I also bought the egg used and was under the impression that the tire were only 4 - 6 years old.

I DID NOT CHECK THE DOT CODE!

When the tire shop was demounting the old tire they looked at the code and it was a 9 year old tire. WAY OUT OF DATE! So buyer beware and check the DOT code.

OK

Got two towmasters mounted/balanced and nitrogen filled for $200, happy happy!

#5 Don Jarrell

Don Jarrell
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 PM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

I had a tire on my van blow while sitting parked in a campground. It was the spare mounted on the rear. Relatively new tire. It turns out that it had been rotated out after having been one of the regular tires. Several of the tires blew within a couple months of each other. It turns out that they had all been run under-inflated for a period of time. I wonder if this or something similar was at work on your tire. Remember that issue with Ford and Firestone tires?

I notice in the photo that the tread nearest the camera is worn way down. Anything that would cause the tire to run "hot" could damage the interior of the tire without any visible problem. It could then blow at anytime, while parked, or underway.

#6 ogr

ogr
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:19 AM

the tread near the camera is actuall where it becomes sidewall and is thinner

#7 dfltil

dfltil
  • Casita Club Member
  • 234 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD
  • Interests:We love to travel and make new friends. In addition to attending Casita rallies we cook with the Dutch Oven groups. We've cooked with and judged Chuck Wagon Cookoffs. I'm learning to play the Banjo and will now add Bluegrass gatherings to our travel agenda.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1991

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

We just returned from a trip to Ohio and on the return trip the car and camper began to vibrate really bad and I thought we had blown a tire on the camper. We pulled over on the side of I-71 and fortunately a Highway Patrolman pulled in behind us with lights on to keep traffic away.

The problem was NOT the camper tire but instead was a tire from the SUV. The tire did not blow out but the tread came off. It really tore up the metal in the rear wheel.

We had the tires checked before the trip replaced one and was advised all others were OK. But after seeing the ABC special on old tires we know exactly what happened.

About a year ago, I went to the tire store to replace two worn tires. The serviceman suggested that we rotate the spare tire that had never been used and save the cost of one tire. The spare was about 8 years old and other than road dirt from being under the car it looked new.

This is one of those "I should have known better" things. I know to replace old camper tires and somehow never connected the same with the SUV, instead I thought about saving a few bucks and I suppose from being an old guy that used port-a-walls and recaps when I was a kid, never gave it a second thought.

Now after seeing the ABC special on tires I wonder if the Good Year Marathons from Casita were really new or did Casita buy a truckload and use them as needed making them old when finally installed.

No matter. Take it to the bank that from now on I will insist that whoever sells me a tire shows me the date it was made before they install it.

don

Don and Trudy
Dunnellon, Florida
TV: Toyota Tacoma
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe "Brutus"
Members LSDOS, Soggy Bottom Bluegrass Bunch
Go Bucks!

#8 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 PM
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

I couldn't resist climbing up in my loft and looking at the DOT date on the Marathons that came with my 07 SD. They are dated the 14th week of 07 so they were relatively new when I picked up the trailer (July 07). But the ABC special was a real eye opener. By the way, I took the Marathons off when I got the Casita home and replaced them with load range D tires (Kumhos) manufactured in the 6th week of 07.

2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#9 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:51 AM

Not certain if anyone already posted this, but here (maybe again) is the link to the program about how to tell the date of your tires. I agree with Jim A...it was a real eye opener.

http://abcnews.go.co...ndex?id=4826897

After watching the program, I, too, got down on my stomach and checked the backside of the Michelin's I purchased from Costco two years ago. The good news is that they really did sell me 'new' tires.

Still need to check my 'new' Kumhos. No clue about the date on the old Marathons. They're on some guy's boat trailer now.

Eileen

07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#10 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

This is scary! I just checked my Khumos. Curb sdie 0807 ans street side 0607. They have been driven 7451 miles and have been rotated 1 time.

Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#11 Don

Don
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,230 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Casita 17' SD
  • Interests:Family, home, traveling w/fiberglass trailer, computers, chess, short track stock car racing, bowling.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Jim A @ Aug 5 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't resist climbing up in my loft and looking at the DOT date on the Marathons that came with my 07 SD. They are dated the 14th week of 07 so they were relatively new when I picked up the trailer (July 07).

Jim you might find a way to get them out of the attic and into service. Except for tread wear they will age just as quickly in the attic as they would on the egg. I put mine onto my little utility trailer - maybe you could find someone who would give you a few bucks for them. That is unless you are saving them to pass on the the next owner of your egg. tongue.gif
Don

Don & Sherian, 2017 GMC Canyon, SLT, crew cab, short bed, 3.6 V6, 8 speed auto trans
factory brake controller and anti-sway control. Made in USA. Custom Casita graphics.
07 Casita 17' SD w/HLA (Egg Motel, room for 2 - to go), also made in USA
Photos of our mods and other stuff: http://tinyurl.com/2dz93g

#12 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Don @ Aug 11 2008, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put mine onto my little utility trailer - maybe you could find someone who would give you a few bucks for them.

I listed mine on Craiglist a few months ago for $70. Ended up getting $60.

Ditto to what Don suggested, ditch 'em.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums