KOA Santa Fe

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 08:48 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:35 AM

Anyone personally familiar with the KOA in Santa Fe? Woodalls gives it a rating of 4. Just looking for personal comments before I make reservations.

Edited by Chris C, 21 July 2008 - 11:55 AM.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local time: 05:48 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jul 21 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone personally familiar with the KOA in Santa Fe? Woodalls gives it a rating of 4. Just looking for personal comments before I make reservations.

I didn't stay at the kOA. There is another RV park; looked like an ex KOA along the same road. I would recommend it and is less expensive.
2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#3 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

Not much help unless you can give me a name!!!!!!! laugh.gif

Chris

Visit My Website

#4 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jul 21 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not much help unless you can give me a name!!!!!!! laugh.gif

I don't remember.
Try
www.woodalls.com
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#5 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

Don't tell me your "remembery" is as bad as mine!!!!!!! tongue.gif I did check Woodall's.............they only gave it 3 stars as opposed to 4 for the KOA.

Edited by Chris C, 21 July 2008 - 02:59 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#6 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:We love the desert, mountains, Nat'l & State parks and hiking in nature.

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jul 21 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't tell me your "remembery" is as bad as mine!!!!!!! tongue.gif I did check Woodall's.............they only gave it 3 stars as opposed to 4 for the KOA.

Chris,

I don't know a thing about either place but be a bit cautious about Woodall's Star ratings .... we just returned from a 5 star park in the Midwest that I was excited about staying at because only 200 some parks have gotten Woddall's 5 Star rating and my wife's employer was picking up the tab as she had to be there for training. It was "nice" but nothing more than a 3 Star or 3+. For the life of me I don't know how they came up with 5 Stars for the place, to be honest. Bathrooms were not attended two for 2 days at times and the WiFi was about as consistant as O.J.'s stories! Moral is ... don't put too much faith in their Star ratings. Good luck and Happy Trails ... Santa Fe is a great place to spend some time and the food is wonderful.

Gary

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

2008 17' SD ("B2") Formerly

2011 Heartland Prowler 5th wheel Currently

#7 daisydog

daisydog
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

We just stayed at the Santa Fe Bernillo location about 10 miles north of Santa Fe. It was great the facilaties are beautiful. They have movies outside in the evenings and we got one of the pull through sites with trees and picnic table. I would definately go back. smile.gif

#8 Dave and Ruth

Dave and Ruth
  • Casita Club Member
  • 454 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Interests: 
  • Casita Club Directory #:2369

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

The other campground is called Rancheros de Santa Fe. The KOA is further out. I like Rancheros but they are both very nice, and in a better location than others in the Santa Fe area. We live nearby.

Good luck.

Dave
Dave & Ruth
Santa Fe, New Mexico

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2007 LD "El Gecko" * 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
High Tech Twin Bed Mod * Rooftop Solar install with VHB tape
Sliding sink cover for the Liberty * Custom Casita Cover

#9 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I've a good friend who lives in Sandia Park in Albuquerque, so we'll be spending some time there also, and I'd rather be closer to him. I'll try Rancheros. Thanks.

Edited by Chris C, 22 July 2008 - 04:24 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#10 samot

samot
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 07:48 PM
  • Interests:We are interested in enjoying retirement, work a little relax a lot. Our plan is to travel when and where we want, stop here stop there, no plans no deadlines. Have no where to be........

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

HI,

We stayed at Trailer Ranch at 3471 Cerrillos Road and were very happy with the place. Didn't spend much time hanging out but the folks were very nice, place was very clean and homey, parked in the trees and on the main drag.

john
Robyn and John (2768)
Ruidoso, NM
17" SD "Sweet Chariot"
2007 Honda Ridigeline RTX

#11 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:19 AM

Thanks, but I've been by Trailer Ranch before and don't think I'd enjoy being right there on the main drag. I'd prefer farther away from town.

Chris

Visit My Website

#12 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Dave and Ruth @ Jul 21 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The other campground is called Rancheros de Santa Fe. The KOA is further out. I like Rancheros but they are both very nice, and in a better location than others in the Santa Fe area. We live nearby.

Good luck.

Dave

That's the one! It is easy to get to the old part of town from it.

PS - I agree with the comments about Woodall's rankings also.
I usually see what is available in the area and then check the internet for more info on a place.

#13 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

Just made my reservations with Rancheros de Santa Fe. Thanks for all the help.

All reservations are made for the entire trip................now all I have to do is a pile of mods and preparations and I'll be ready to go. biggrin.gif dry.gif

Chris

Visit My Website

#14 Myra & Mike

Myra & Mike
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:48 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

We stayed a week at Rancheros de Santa Fe 3 years ago. I think you will be pleased with it. There's no grass, but you're in the desert. They have a nice little hiking trail. We drove out to see the KOA. It would be fine, but as I recall, it did not have cable, whereas Rancheros did. The location is good - out in the country but quick access to town. There are a couple of restauarants on the right side of the road on the way into Santa Fe. I don't remember the names, but the food is great. I think more locals than tourists eat there. One of the places is kind of a diner. If you enjoy museums, my favorite was the Museum of International Folk Art. They had the most fantastic exhibit of antique embroidered samplers. Enjoy the trip!

Myra
Myra (& Mike) Monroe Hosts
Tulsa, OK
2003 17 LD

#15 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

I apologize for being so tardy in reporting back. I've not been on the site much in the last year or so.

We did, indeed, stay at the Rancheros de Santa Fe on our trip. It wasn't the nicest campground we've ever stayed in, but as was mentioned, we were in desert country, for heaven's sake! It was more than satisfactory and we'd stay there again if in the area.

Chris

Visit My Website