7 replies to this topic

#1 jhjohnson

jhjohnson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1550

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

Not original, but here is the way I made twin beds for my Liberty. I used oak faced plywood. All visible edges are covered with a rabbeted piece to hide the edge of the plywood and prevent snags. I used poplar (1x2) edging for the main bed boards and oak for the other parts. The main part of the bed board is hinged with two non-mortise hinges. The back corners are fixed with machine screws through the fiberglass. All screws through the fiberglass are backed up under the fiberglass with plywood rectangles to prevent screws from pulling through. No holes were drilled through the outer walls. First I attached the bed boards away from the wall so as to allow the board to be raised and stay without help. Next the rear corner boards were cut after creating a template. They are fixed in place. Then came a cabinet at the rear between the bed boards. The cabinet is screwed into the fixed corner boards, through the sides of the cabinet. Following was the shelf across the back which is attached through the under side of the top of the cabinet. Last was a table attached to the shelf with a piano hinge. A 4x4 piece of plywood with a 2 diameter hole was attached to the under side of the table to allow use of the factory table leg. During travel the table is lowered and serves as a door for the cabinet. It is held in place with a single magnetic catch.
Bed board: 24 x 66
Cabinet: 20 W x 28 H x 12 D
Shelf: 15 x 75 x 28 H (above floor)
Table: 20 W x 27 L
Mattresses: 28 W x 82 L x 5 H (local upholstery shop)

Attached Images

• bed_board_up.jpg
  • hinge.jpg
  • bed_boards_down.jpg
  • cabinet.jpg
  • shelf.jpg
  • table_up.jpg
  • table_down.jpg
  • mattresses_in_place.jpg

Jim & Carolyn
'05 17' Liberty Deluxe
'05 Toyota 4 Runner

#2 Don in OKC

Don in OKC
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,533 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 AM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

Jim:

Nice job. You should post that on Erics Mod forum as a keeper. biggrin.gif
Don in OKC - (Useta have a) 2000 16' LD, 98 Chrysler T&C

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:13 AM

Jim....
That is really a good job and i am going to save this post as my next trailer will probably be the Liberty. I especially like the way you made the table drop down in the aisle for more room and the cabinets behind it.
Great Planning.....
Did you make a board on each side of the cabinet the depth of the cabinet (ontop of the side bunks)and then screw the cabinet into the two side boards where the bunks are?_____I can't quite make out the picture of where you attached the cabinet to the shorter side bunk boards
Joe

Edited by wrkn2mch, 18 July 2008 - 06:17 PM.

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,129 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

Very nice work. I like the rear cabinet and the fact that you didn't have to drill through the outer wall.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Biscuit

Biscuit
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 AM
  • Interests:Woodworking, Golf, Swimming, working out, gardening, fishing, camping(hopefully)

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (jhjohnson @ Jul 17 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not original, but here is the way I made twin beds for my Liberty. I used oak faced plywood. All visible edges are covered with a rabbeted piece to hide the edge of the plywood and prevent snags. I used poplar (1x2) edging for the main bed boards and oak for the other parts. The main part of the bed board is hinged with two non-mortise hinges. The back corners are fixed with machine screws through the fiberglass. All screws through the fiberglass are backed up under the fiberglass with plywood rectangles to prevent screws from pulling through. No holes were drilled through the outer walls. First I attached the bed boards away from the wall so as to allow the board to be raised and stay without help. Next the rear corner boards were cut after creating a template. They are fixed in place. Then came a cabinet at the rear between the bed boards. The cabinet is screwed into the fixed corner boards, through the sides of the cabinet. Following was the shelf across the back which is attached through the under side of the top of the cabinet. Last was a table attached to the shelf with a piano hinge. A 4x4 piece of plywood with a 2 diameter hole was attached to the under side of the table to allow use of the factory table leg. During travel the table is lowered and serves as a door for the cabinet. It is held in place with a single magnetic catch.
Bed board: 24 x 66
Cabinet: 20 W x 28 H x 12 D
Shelf: 15 x 75 x 28 H (above floor)
Table: 20 W x 27 L
Mattresses: 28 W x 82 L x 5 H (local upholstery shop)

Very nice job and very functional. We have ordered a new Liberty D and am sure I will be making very similar modifications. Could you send me any dimensions especially around the curved areas toward the back. What did you use for a wood finish, yours looks very
good and looks like it came with the trailer. What did the new cushions (mattesses cost) Great job.
Biscuit
John and Erma
Edmond, OK
Liberty Deluxe
Honda Ridgeline

#6 jhjohnson

jhjohnson
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for all of the very kind comments. Yes, my Liberty is 17'. The finish is two or three coats of water based polyurethane (it was 3 years ago). The cost for the mattresses, a couple of throw pillows and enough upholstery material to make daytime sacks for the bed pillows came to about $1100. Using some other covering material would greatly reduce the cost. The upholsterer came to the house and made templates for the mattresses. They consist of a firm layer of foam and a softer layer. We both went to the shop and had them lay out samples until they felt right to each of us. After I had the cabinet installed I used a piece of plywood with a piece of poster board on top to scribe the curve at shelf height. The pattern is long gone. I considered curving the back of the cabinet to match the back wall of the trailer but decided to go vertical from the top ot the sloping wire cover on the floor. The main piece of the bed board width was half the width of a sheet of plywood. It was a fun project.

Jim
Jim & Carolyn
'05 17' Liberty Deluxe
'05 Toyota 4 Runner

#7 Billy Dean

Billy Dean
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (jhjohnson @ Jul 18 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all of the very kind comments. Yes, my Liberty is 17'. The finish is two or three coats of water based polyurethane (it was 3 years ago). The cost for the mattresses, a couple of throw pillows and enough upholstery material to make daytime sacks for the bed pillows came to about $1100. Using some other covering material would greatly reduce the cost. The upholsterer came to the house and made templates for the mattresses. They consist of a firm layer of foam and a softer layer. We both went to the shop and had them lay out samples until they felt right to each of us. After I had the cabinet installed I used a piece of plywood with a piece of poster board on top to scribe the curve at shelf height. The pattern is long gone. I considered curving the back of the cabinet to match the back wall of the trailer but decided to go vertical from the top ot the sloping wire cover on the floor. The main piece of the bed board width was half the width of a sheet of plywood. It was a fun project.

Jim

Jim, I think your bed mod is the best yet. I have a couple of questions. Does the top shelf tend to droop on the ends? It's only 1/2 inch & I don't see any support for the ends. The other question is about the door that swings up to access the water heater & pump. Can you still open the door with the cabinet or shelves in place?

Thanks, Billy Dean

#8 jhjohnson

jhjohnson
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Billy Dean,

The shelf does not have any support other than the center cabinet. I have not had a problem with it. We do not set any thing heavy at the ends, just a book, some maps or magazines. Lying on my back, my toes touch the underside of the shelf but that has not been a problem either. If I ever had to get at the water pump from the aisle door it would be necessary to remove four screws holding the cabinet in place and sliding it forward. Then I would have to crawl over the bed and behind the cabinet. So far no problem with the pump. We usually camp with hookups so the pump only gets used at rest stops.

Jim
Jim & Carolyn
'05 17' Liberty Deluxe
'05 Toyota 4 Runner