• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Len Satic

Len Satic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:07 PM

We just got back from boondocking at the North Rim in the NF, not the NP. The Casita is great for this if your TV can handle it. You can find spots where you can camp just feet from the rim. This would have been our view out of the dinette window:

NR_Site.jpg

But, there was a large mountain-bike group nearby and we wanted seclusion...and silence.

The Visitor Center at Jacob's Lake has Forest Service road maps for $10. The roads are well marked and well maintained for what they are...at times you'll think your teeth are going to fall out.

All of the boondocking rules apply: carry plenty of water, fuel, food, and tools. You can't call AAA and you most likely won't see another human (we saw plenty of Mule Deer, though).

LS
2008 SD 17
2006 Chev Tahoe LT 4x4
CasitaLog Blog

#17 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Len
I love to boondock in the general area where you were camping but don't recall that particular view. Would you mind telling me with some detail where you were? I have one of the Forest Service maps someone mentioned above. I'm sure if I knew which road you were on I could find it. I have a suspicion the spot was to the west of the main road into the National Park.
Don in UT
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#18 Len Satic

Len Satic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (Don in Ut @ Jan 23 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Len
I love to boondock in the general area where you were camping but don't recall that particular view. Would you mind telling me with some detail where you were? I have one of the Forest Service maps someone mentioned above. I'm sure if I knew which road you were on I could find it. I have a suspicion the spot was to the west of the main road into the National Park.
Don in UT

Don,

It's Locust Point on FS 294. IIRC it's about 24 road miles west of 67. That site is a hundred yards or so before the point. We didn't have a GPS at the time so I don't have the LAT/LON info.

LS

Edited by Len Satic, 24 January 2010 - 02:57 PM.

2008 SD 17
2006 Chev Tahoe LT 4x4
CasitaLog Blog

#19 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Speaking of GRAND CANYON NORTH RIM CAMPGROUND (AZ)...

If anyone is interested in joining the Utah Tour on our last two nights (Friday, May 28th & Saturday, May 29th), I just checked and there are a couple of spots available. Everyone on the Tour already has their reservations, so we're good.

www.reserveamerica.com

Eileen

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#20 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

Len
Thank you for the information about the location. I had intended to drive to that particular point last UT / AZ Tour just to check it out but we ran into considerable rain and low flying clouds that precluded the usual great views into the canyon. As wet as it was, I didn't want to go look down at the clouds and give my truck a mud bath for no good reason.
One thing for sure, I'll sure go to the spot on some midweek day and enjoy the view from the Casita.
Thanks again.
Don in UT

I'd like to add my voice to AZ Eileen's and invite anyone else to meet with us at the Grand Canyon (NR) campground. Anyone who has ever gone to the North Rim loves it.

Edited by Don in Ut, 25 January 2010 - 10:42 PM.

'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#21 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Well, I started this thread in July of "08 and we enjoyed our trip so much we are planning on going again this October............probably the first week of Oct. Looking forward to going back. Had such a wonderful time and took so darned many pictures. If you've never been to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then it's time you do so!

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website