North Rim, Grand Canyon

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,046 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

I've got reservations for 3 nights in August in the North Rim Campground at the Grand Canyon. I've never been there before...........in fact, I've never even seen the Grand Canyon!!!!! Has anyone stayed at the North Rim Campground who might be able to share a little about what to expect?

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 kmfosterk

kmfosterk
  • Casita Club Member
  • 627 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:1408

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jul 17 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got reservations for 3 nights in August in the North Rim Campground at the Grand Canyon. I've never been there before...........in fact, I've never even seen the Grand Canyon!!!!! Has anyone stayed at the North Rim Campground who might be able to share a little about what to expect?

Chris several folks did a tour in that area middle of May one of the campgrounds they stayed at was North Rim, you can read about it at the following link. There is also thread on Casita Forum with pictures.

Southern Utah Grand Canyon Trip

Edited by kmfosterk, 17 July 2008 - 12:43 PM.

Kent - #1408
X 17' Casita LD owner

#3 Len Satic

Len Satic
  • Casita Club Member
  • 89 posts
  • Local time: 06:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

Here's the link from our trip in May: http://www.casitaclu...amp;#entry92366

LS
2008 SD 17
2006 Chev Tahoe LT 4x4
CasitaLog Blog

#4 Charles Amos

Charles Amos
  • Casita Club Member
  • 239 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

You will love the North Rim, IMPO better that the South Rim. We went the South Rim 3 time before going to the North Rim. Stayed at Jacob Lake Forest Service campground because we could not get reservations at the North Rim but it was nice and the price was right. My advise would be to stock up on food before getting into southern Utah, not many grocery stores except in St. George. I do not remember any at the rim or at Jacob Lake. We found a nice little grocery in a small town between Bryce and Zion that cut their meats daily.
Does anyone know if the National Forest Campgrounds at Jacob Lake are open again?

Charles

Charles and Barbara
2002 17' SD - 05 Tacoma
South Alabama

#5 Mhilley

Mhilley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2701

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Charles Amos @ Jul 17 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You will love the North Rim, IMPO better that the South Rim. We went the South Rim 3 time before going to the North Rim. Stayed at Jacob Lake Forest Service campground because we could not get reservations at the North Rim but it was nice and the price was right. My advise would be to stock up on food before getting into southern Utah, not many grocery stores except in St. George. I do not remember any at the rim or at Jacob Lake. We found a nice little grocery in a small town between Bryce and Zion that cut their meats daily.
Does anyone know if the National Forest Campgrounds at Jacob Lake are open again?

Charles

We stayed at North Rim in late May. The Casitas from the rally were headed down the mountain just as we were headed up. It is nice place to camp and there is a small grocery store at the campground now. It is fairly well stocked. I don't remember seeing any meat so take your own. It was freezing cold and we used the furnace nightly. (Being from Florida we freeze when it drops below 60!) We took the hike from the campground to the lodge - I think it is about 2 miles. To me the lodge is really something to see, as well as the canyon, of course. We had lunch at the lodge and it felt like we were stepping back 40 years in time. Remember there is no power at the campground and not all sites have water. We filled our tank by using 5 gallon containers as we had just come from camping on the Navajo reservation where there was no water. I think you will have a great time. We can't wait to go back. The trip there and back is almost as much fun. We had been in Colorado so we went took the Tuba City route.

#6 HPYCMPN

HPYCMPN
  • Casita Club Member
  • 57 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2552

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:45 AM

We can vouch for the fact that rhe North Rim is an amazing place to stay. We also were there as the Casita Rally was pulling out. It had snowed the day before and they decided to cut it short. Our plan had been to arrive on Friday to meet up with them, but ran into to much snow in Flagstaff. Pulled in Saturday in time to see the last of them pulling out.
About an hour later,I looked out and saw another Casita had arrived. It was Mthilley (Mike and his wife) from the above post. We went over and met them, what delightful people. The next day,the sky cleared and we took a hike out on the point by the lodge. Ran into Mike and his wife out there and had lunch with them at the lodge. we still laugh when we think about Mike, what a sense of humor that guy has. Really hope we run into them again someday.
Chris C ,I know you will enjoy the area and the trip. You always meet the most interesting people when camping in a Casita.
George & Betty
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
2007 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
2008 Toyota Tundra

#7 Mhilley

Mhilley
  • Casita Club Member
  • 123 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2701

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (HPYCMPN @ Jul 19 2008, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can vouch for the fact that rhe North Rim is an amazing place to stay. We also were there as the Casita Rally was pulling out. It had snowed the day before and they decided to cut it short. Our plan had been to arrive on Friday to meet up with them, but ran into to much snow in Flagstaff. Pulled in Saturday in time to see the last of them pulling out.
About an hour later,I looked out and saw another Casita had arrived. It was Mthilley (Mike and his wife) from the above post. We went over and met them, what delightful people. The next day,the sky cleared and we took a hike out on the point by the lodge. Ran into Mike and his wife out there and had lunch with them at the lodge. we still laugh when we think about Mike, what a sense of humor that guy has. Really hope we run into them again someday.
Chris C ,I know you will enjoy the area and the trip. You always meet the most interesting people when camping in a Casita.

To George and Betty (HPYCMPN). Thanks for you positive feedback (this is Ebay isn't it?). We got home about two weeks ago (were gone 10 weeks). Found it really hard to sleep in a regular bed. We couldn't find your email addess when cleaning out the trailer. May be headed to Nova Scotia in a few weeks. Wanna come? Nice to meet you and Betty.

#8 senoraberry

senoraberry
  • Casita Club Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Chris C @ Jul 17 2008, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I worked at the Kaibab Lodge, the last private lodge before the park entrance. You will need a blanket because it is 8800'. You can camp in the national forest before entering the park. Just drive 100 feet or so off the mail road. Lots of places to park. The roads out of the park are just as intersting after you have done the tour. While the South Rim gets 4 million visitors, the North Rim gets 400,000. Not so crowded. I spent 5 months up there and loved it. Carol

#9 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Years ago we were at the North Rim, and noticed in a visitor center display, that there was a road that lead west from there. It was gated and we had to get permission to enter, but we took it and had a nice driving tour of the seldom seen north rim free of other tourists! You might look for that, although I'm not sure if it required a 4WD or not (we had one at that time).

We were recently at the zoo called the south rim, and can't wait to return to the north rim! You'll enjoy it.

Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#10 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 4,074 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 SD 17
  • Trailer Name:Casa De Suenos
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

The South Rim is now accessible only by buses from their designated parking lots. It's an effort to reduce the pollution and improve visability. What's that tell you about the crowds?!

Whereas at the North Rim, you can still park nearby and walk-up. Entirely different terrain, too. Many more trees, less desert.

National Park Service website:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/

2008 Summer North Rim Guide
http://www.nps.gov/g...load/2008NR.pdf

Eileen

Edited by ArizonaEileen, 02 August 2008 - 11:35 AM.

2013 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 2016 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

#11 Muttley

Muttley

Muttley

• Casita Club Member
  • 939 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

We were at the north rim last week. We led a caravan of 14 rigs and stayed at Kaibab Camper village. This is the commercial CG in Jacob Lake, with full hook-ups. The National Forest CG is still closed. It is getting an extensive remodel. We had lunch at the Grand Canyon lodge, Ranger talk on the terrace and watched the full moon rise over the canyon from Imperial Point.

The "lake" at Jacob Lake is barely a pond.

We also took a side trip to Pipe spring National Monument, a Mormon pioneer settlement.

We had the only Casita in the group.
2002 SD 17 'Tinker Toy'
2010 Nissan Xterra

#12 Greg & Ann

Greg & Ann
  • Casita Club Member
  • 408 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:(usetaowna) Spirit 17
  • Interests:Re-re-retired 6/2012. I spend my idle hours flying, home improvement projects, travelling, western movies, teaching, old west history, BBQ'n, and of course, camping!

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

I was talking to one of the hosts at the north rim when we were there last October. He was telling me that he listens to the ranger radio frequency and hears all sorts of mayhem happening on the south rim. According to him, just about all that ever happens on the north rim is an occasional late departure or sometimes a lost kid. Great alternative to the south rim. I'd love to go back someday and host for a few months. Anybody know the name of the concession company there?
Lompoc, CA
'02 17' SD/ '10 Tacoma
"Casita owners of the world, unite!"

#13 Don in Ut

Don in Ut
  • Rally Organizer
  • 659 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:'96 16' SD
  • Interests:Exploring the beautiful mountains and canyons of Utah and other western states. I also enjoy off roading - snowmobiling in winter.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1710

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Re concessionaire at N. Rim. http://www.nps.gov/g.....act Award.pdf

Don in UT
'96 SD 16' HLA 20 degree down start
'98 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 extended cab

#14 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

We were in Kanab Utah for a week, June 19 to 26 and went to the North Rim and drove out to the east side of the park. What a view !
On the way through Jacobs Lake, I noticed a campground across highway 89A from the Chevron gas station.
There were a few big rigs in there, as well as some tent campers. I'm not sure of the name of that campground but the gates were open, and I think that campground was the one closed last year which sure seems to be opened now.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#15 travlinbob

travlinbob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 687 posts
  • Interests:Family, travel, surfing the web, researching historical places and events, maps and charts, travel, cars, sailing, light sport aircraft and photography.
  • Casita Club Directory #:3005

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Chris C. Hopefully this information will be of some value to you. It is an excerpt from a travelogue I wrote a few weeks ago. The date was June 5th when this took place.

North Rim Campground. As we drove south into the park we spotted at least a dozen deer feeding in small groups on the lush green meadows up along the tree line on the west side of the park road. I had hoped to get one of the scenic sites right next to the rim. However, site # 17 was as close as I could get but as it was we were just across the street from those sites. During the 2 nights we were there, only one of the 3 scenic sites was occupied for one night by a Japanese family who got there late and left the next day. While we were setting up the camp host came by on his bicycle. He was kind enough to come spend a few minutes telling us what all we should try and see while there. After getting set up at our site, I ran to the store and picked up a couple of bundles of fire wood and a bag of charcoal to use for cooking and as tender to get the wood started. We feasted on burgers, brats, and hot dogs along with some salads we had picked up at the WM in Page, AZ. What was left we put in the frig., to nuke for quick meals later on. The rim was only about 200 feet from our camp site and we all hiked down and stood on a big rock overlooking the canyon. What a way to end the day. It was beautiful at sunset and we just stood there for about half an hour taking in all the beauty. As it grew dark, the air cooled down quickly forcing us all into sweat shirts and jeans and we all relaxed around the warmth of a beautiful camp fire. Next morning we drove around and checked out the North Rim Lodge and the fantastic view of the canyon from the lodge dining room and terrace. We then spent the rest of the day taking in the Cape Royal Scenic Drive, stopping at all the vistas and overlooks along the way and taking in quite a few of the trails. On our way back to the camp ground I had planned on taking in Point Imperial but was out voted. I must admit I regret not taking the 3 mile drive, out voted or not. I guess it gives us a reason for a return trip. The Camp Host had told us to be sure and go sit in the Wedding Chapel but we drove past the turn off without stopping. We still had a great day and I now understand why everyone who has been there recommends the North Rim and I will most certainly do the same.

I want to tell a bit more about the North Rim Campground for the benefit of those who havenít experienced it. I know some will want to know more. This is a beautiful, clean, well shaded campground with lots of room between sites. Our site had a fire ring with a cooking grate, and a picnic table. Site 17 also has the water supply right at its entrance with a dumpster there also. Most of the sites I saw were drive through. Our site was about 100 yards from the bath rooms which had flush toilets and sinks with running water. The showers and dump station are at the entrance to the campground. There is also a well stocked store with a gift shop and there is also a gas station which was reasonable at 2.79, only about .10 higher than most of the other stations we used on our trip, and we were waited on by an attendant who scared the daylights out of me as he walked up to my window from behind but made up for it by cleaning our windows. This campground also allows generators to run 2 hrs in the evening and 2 hours in the morning. We used the two hours in the evening to charge our battery and use the microwave. This campground comes highly recommended by me. All I can say is book well in advance.

09 C17SD "Rancho Casita", high lift axle, and 15" load range "D" Marathons
01 Chevy Blazer and 07 Trail Blazer